Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasorbust_gw

March Bugs

Texasorbust
17 years ago

Still adjusting to the wildlife here, thought these dive bombing beetles were called June Bugs? Are they Irish and just here for St. Pat's weekend? Sounds like pouring rain hitting the windows and the cats refuse to come in.

Comments (9)

• maden_theshade
    17 years ago

The June bugs are definitely out. Too darn early if you ask me. I've heard one or two buzzing around the window tonight. They are attracted to the light.

• lindseyrose
    17 years ago

I haven't seen any yet, but I distinctly remember one spring when I was growing up that they COVERED the porch of our little church. We couldn't walk out after Wednesday night choir practice without crunching them. Ewww! LOL And I do recall thinking, "This is March. Don't the June Bugs know when June is? Maybe we should call them March bugs!" I can't recall ever seeing the June Bugs as bad as that year (probably late 1980s).

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I have't seen june bugs yet, but the flying cat toys, I mean crane flies, are very thick in my back yard and in my house. Nothing is safe in the house when those critters get in. The cats will climb walls, curtains, t.v. cabinets, us, to get at those things. DH thought one of our cats was sick last night because he was laying on is belly with his head on his paws, and stayed that way for a very long time. He was just exhausted from chasing crane flies all day.

Sally

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

No June bugs, but definitely got the Crane Flies already. (Kinda similar to May Flies, in that they don't seem to hurt anything, they just fly around, and hover around your doors, where you can't keep 'em out.)

Still......haven't seen anything to compare to the cricket invasions of the fall.

In Florida, used to get huge flying water bugs, that were at least as bad as the crickets here. Kinda like horror movies, invasion.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

I really dislike june bugs and really hate it see or hear a dog / cat eating one YUCK.
    Some times they can come a little early but this is way to early don't cha think?

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

A couple of years ago, we had what seemed like millions.
    I started putting milky spore out to kill the grubs to get rid of the moles and every year since, less and less. This year we only have but a few so far, lol
    Rick that roach story is gross. Those things are huge.
    My younger brother lived in Florida for awhile and one night whilewe were sitting outside they started coming from all directions. It was sooo gross and I couldn't sleep well while we were there.
    Snakes don't bother me like those things do
    YUCK!!!

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kitties slept in this morning, lol. They were just swatting them down from what I could tell. Better not be any munching going on out there yuk!

My far ants can beat up your roaches.

=P

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

The only thing I worry about is getting rid of the fireflies along with the Junebugs. :/

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

We have lots of fireflies in the summer.