Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maden_theshade

Guerrilla Weeding

maden_theshade
15 years ago

Rick, you will have to be proud of my restraint here. One of my neighbors...a Yankee transplant...lets every weed known (and some unknown) grow anywhere they pop up. And as hard as it is...I have not ventured over the property line to pull all the dandelions, sticky weeds, sticker burrs, and whatever else is growing there. Spreading into my yard.

Comments (7)

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

Well, I will address those growing along the property line.....but in a low aggression manner, where the addressing does not leave any tell-tale signs in the neighbor's property.

That is the extent of my actions, on my neighbor's property. The rest is their own responsibility, whether they choose to accept it or not.

I have been hard at work to get my own under control the last couple of weeks, but am done with all publicly visible areas, and am now in the back, working on that. Spring is never much fun, but at least in the early summer, most of the work has been done, and you can enjoy the results of your efforts, until the peak heat strangles everything.

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

maden the shade, I take exception to you referring to your neighbor as a "Yankee". My husband is from the north, and maintains a beautiful yard! He has never seen a weed he can't kill! It's a Yankee thang . . . .
    I sympathize with your problem with weed seeds and stolens creeping into your yard--we had the same problem when we lived in town (next door to born and bred Texans, by the way). Perhaps a gardener-to-gardener chat with your neighbor might help?

• denisew
    15 years ago

I will also use my weed popper on the dandelions in my neighbor's yard. The people on our west side will mow, but don't do anything about the weeds, no trimming of shrubs and don't even edge along the sidewalk or curb. It is a constant battle trying to keep their weeds under control when they get close to my garden. I actually have edging all the way down the property line just inside on our side and will take our string trimmer and scalp their stuff to the ground up to 5 inches away from the edging. My next job is to trim their bradford pear in the back corner of their yard that is severely hanging over the fence onto my garden - not to mention putting weight on the fence that we replaced three years ago. If it is hanging over on our side, it gets cut.

• maden_theshade
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just really can't figure out what motivates her. She is a big time gardener! She goes on and on about how everything she plants must have a 'purpose' and is big into food plants. She has lettuce and all kinds of herbs going right now. But any volunteer that pops up is left to grow. Her hell strip is completely covered with that stickerburr clover stuff. I mean, it's like 8" tall there! She must love it. I've been carefully pulling it up in my yard so I don't leave behind any burrs to sprout up again. I just hate stickers. Stepped on too many as a kid.

• beachplant
    15 years ago

I dug all the stickers out of my neighbors yards. Both sides, all the way to the corners. I fought them for years in my yard then noticed the mail carrier had them stuck in her shoe laces. I put weed n feed on their yards too! Noone has ever said a word about the holes in their yards. I've finally got control of the stickers. Sticker patrol tomorrow as a matter of fact. If she ever unlocks her gate I'm putting flowers in her yard.
    They probably think I'm crazy but I don't got stickers in my feet.
    Tally HO!

• little_dani
    15 years ago

You could fertilize, and kill the stickers. They thrive in poor soil....will die in nutrient rich soils.

I am the bad neighbor in my neighborhood. Not weeds, but my DH has a lot of junk that I cannot convince him to remove from the neighborhood. It drives me nuts, I can imagine what it does to the neighbors. Do you think it might 'disappear if I leave the gate open?

Janie

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

My neighbor scalps the grass and doesn't water. You guessed it...weed heaven. Not the "native groundcover weeds" mind you either! I am putting in an edged bed on my side along the property line. It's a 20' mixed mostly evergreen native hedge. Weeds that pop up in the bed get zapped. Mostly tho, the noxious weeds I hate are sun loving. They won't get past the hedge's shade. My sod, while it lasts, is tall,thick and green so it's hard for weeds to get a foothold anyway.

As for guerrila gardening I'd be nervous. It would get your *ss kicked in back in LA and here people are gun happy from what I've read and heard! Stickers or no I don't wanna be shot at! PJ