Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryisthinking

Question about horses

terryisthinking
17 years ago

I know nothing about horses, but there are two living across the street from me in my neighborhood.

They have no shelter, other than a tree. Is that normal? I know that when people are using firecrackers (some distance away), or when there is lightning, they run around like they are scared.

There are only 2, a mother and half grown pony. Sometimes they bring a pile of hay in. Right now, there is no hay, hasn't been for days. There is very short grass in the field, which is about 2 acres. They occupy a corner lot here and everyone that walks by pets their noses. They probably get carrots and stuff that way.

I just want to know what the parameters are so I will know if they are being abused. Just so you know, they do not look abused, and are plump.

Comments (10)

• remuda1
    17 years ago

tx, you didn't mention a source of water? Very important... As long as you can't see their ribs, they should be fine. This summer will tell the tale, when/if the grass dries up they will need more supplemental hay and feed. On a horse with healthy weight you should be able to feel their ribs under your hand, but not see the ribs with your eyes :).

A lot of times, although the pasture may be green, there may not be a blade of grass in it. Sometimes inedible weeds are the only things that survive in a horse pasture. But 2 acres for 2 horses is not horrible. The shade tree is not ideal if you get hail. But generally the only time a horse will seek shelter is to get out of the sun or out of the wind. A lot of times if you get a gentle rain with no wind, they will stand out in it. In the winter, horses will make their hair stand up and out. This helps to insulate them against the cold. They will get inside to get out of the wind because the wind defeats this protective measure. LOL, that was probably more information than you wanted but as long as they have WATER, and their body condition looks good, they should be fine. If that changes, then call your ASPCA. Food, water and shelter are the *basic* care that any animal owner must provide. They are also required to provide veterinary care when needed. I hope this helps :)

Kristi

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I occasionally watch the animal cop shows on Animal Planet, and the Animal Cops Houston episodes always, I mean always have abused horses being rescued. The horses they show are obviously starving and abused, there's no question about it. It's sad that they get to such a poor state of health before the rescue comes, frequently too late. It's good you're watching these horses, so maybe, if they are being neglected, it won't be too late for them.

I've learned from watching that show that horses take a tremendous amount of care. I used to think I'd like to have horses if I ever got my place in the country. I've decided they take way too much knowlegdable care than I could give them.

Sally

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Sally, I sometimes watch the animal cop shows as well. It's a mixture of anger and embarrassment that I feel when they show the Houston situation. To me, the biggest outrage (to me) is that we don't have laws in place that really deal with these people the way they should be dealt with. Anytime you confine an animal in a stall or behind a fence, you make that animal's welfare your responsibility. If you don't provide for them adequately, then you should pay a heavy price. Just my .02

Kristi

• terryisthinking
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The water source has concerned me. It seems to be a smallish bucket attached to the fence. I cannot say this authoritatively because it is hard to see. These neighbors wouldn't want me to actually go over there. They even chastised McK when she went to give them a carrot. That pony is such a begger.

But I will watch.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

If they're plump, they're getting enough food & water, but the lack of shelter is dangerous, for just the reason you described:
    when horses panic, they run run run, & they sometimes run into fences & break their necks or injure themselves so badly that they have to be euthanized.

You can call Ellis Co Sheriff's Dept to have Animal Control investigate *& ask them to call you back*.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Txgardenlady, you have a kind heart so many people would just ignore whats going on, on the other side of the fence.
    Kristi and Sally gave good advise, Horses do need some type of shelter most use a small building that has three sides for them to get out of bad weather. Is there no creek running through the land? If they only have one bucket for water they would need it filled up daily, in the summer it would need to be filled more often.
    It hard to see animals not getting the proper care and theres nothing you can do till they are in danger.
    I hope the horses are getting the care they need and not being abused.

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

Our rescue Gracie came from complete neglect situation. 13horses in small paddock, no shelter at all. Owner trucked in water once a week or so and only fed enough to keep them breathing. Gracie's mother didn't survive and one other weanling died. It was the owner's THIRD offense and was only fined&animals were seized. 2acres & a large tree would have seemed like heaven to those horses.
    SavingGrace 1st week we took her in. All ribs were sticking out and her face was gaunt. She was loaded with worms,her eyes were dull and she just looked sorry to be alive. Makes me tear up to think back how pathetic she was.

SavingGrace after 1yr of care. Now she's healthy &brighteyed. She plays, goofs off and enjoys everything more than any others in our pasture:

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Looks like a different horse!GOOD JOB! It's so sad about those other horses. I too thank you for caring. Aside from the totally obvious(horse in the top picture) I wouldn't know what to look for either. I'm aware that negelcted horses have issues with their feet etc.... but I don't think I could easily spot it either.PJ

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I'd call, won't hurt to have someone check on them. By the time the ribs show.....
    Tally HO!

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

At least they have two together. My evil neighbors keep theirs in solitary confinement.