Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zitro_joe

Potty Training - help please!

zitro_joe
18 years ago

The thing with my daughter is that she does not show any discomfort when she is dirty or wet. Nor does she do anything to signal she is going, she doesn't squat, make any faces or sounds.

My wife and I have asked our mothers how they did it. Well, apparently my siblings and I saw the potty one time and knew what to do. My MIL says the same about my wife. Thanks Ma!

What was successful for you? I am open to ideas.

Joe

Of course I have to add a picture here, this was taken last week at the Dallas Arboretum.

Comments (23)

• grittymitts
    18 years ago

What a little doll!
    I tried the following with my last one & it worked like a charm, think there was a book "Potty Training in One Day:"

Move the potty chair to the room where you spend the most time with her (ours was family room/kitchen area.) Have fresh undies & clothing in the room along with wash cloths, baby wipes or whatever you use. Offer her lots 'n lots of juice, water, even sodas. If you have to play games like hopping, running, Ring Around the Roses, etc. to make her thirsty, do it. Then every half hour or so, set her on the potty. When she actually "produces" make a really big deal with smiles, clapping, etc., if not, clean her & put on fresh panties- put on a very straight face but no negative comments. Children truly wish to please & she will get the message!

Mine was so proud of himself, he was trained in a day...my kids used it on the Grands & say it worked for all of theirs as well.

Good luck! Suzi

• Jacquelyn8b
    18 years ago

She's an angel!!!

We followed my mother's advice and it worked great.
    Basically, it's the same way you train a puppy!
    Take them to the bathroom and give them time to 'go'. Take her at least every hour.
    Keep doing it until she 'makes a deposit' then make a HUGE deal about it!

My DD took more time (she didn't give any indication either) so I would read to her while waiting.
    Once she did her thing it was like a light came on - "Oh, thaaattttt's what you wanted."
    After that, she would grab her crown, jump up on her throne and 'go' in nothing flat.
    *Hint - giving a 'princess' a crown makes everything better!

Accidents are just that, clean up, stay quiet and try again.
    Consistency Dad. Consistency and patience.

She really is just adorable!

• pjtexgirl
    18 years ago

I'm from a totally different school of thought. Did a lot of reading and research on this.Children are ready when they are ready and not a moment sooner. The theory that made the most sense to me said it was a physical and mental maturity that came together eventually. The child will naturally express an interest in potty training at this time. I don't see how any of the non negative ways (like listed above) wouldn't be OK too though. My boys(slower generally than girls anyway) let me know when they wanted to use the potty like daddy(older kid) or in the case of the younger one like his big brother. This time will be gone before you know it! PJ

• sally2_gw
    18 years ago

What a beautiful girl, and marvelous photograph. At first I was kind of afraid to look at the picture considering the subject matter. ;-)

I can't add anything to the advice given above, but emphasize the patience part. She will get it, sooner or later.

Sally

• sally2_gw
    18 years ago

I meant to tell you this little tidbit, but forgot. Once she "gets it" and starts using the potty, expect great enthusiasm everywhere you go. (I sure wish I could have figured out a better way to phrase that!) Anyway, children become "bathroom inspectors" soon after potty training takes hold, and they have to visit every bathroom at every store you go to. Children, gotta love them. They make even the very mundane exciting.

Sally

• bobbi_p
    18 years ago

I have a 3 year, 3 month daughter, who's just now beginning to go in the toilet more than on the floor!

My sister swore that until you start getting them up in the morning and their diapers were dry, that you were wasting your time. Since my daughter has just started doing this, I'm thinking maybe she was right. Delaney has just started getting quiet and making "the face" when she goes. It's maddening because my son (and yes, PJ, all the books say boys are slower than girls at potty training) was potty trained a little after 2 years!

I've tried the sit her down every 30 minutes thing: Invariably we do ok for a couple of hours, then she either refuses to sit or has an accident 2 minutes before the timer goes off. I've tried the positive reinforcement of giving candy when she goes: Then, she only goes in the potty when she wants candy.

I think I'm with PJ on this one. I can lead a horse to water, but.... (or is that butt?...)

She WILL be potty-trained by August or else she can't go to preschool! Yikes! Then what will I do?

I can't wait to get rid of that stinking diaper genie!

PS I too was worried what the picture would be, but I should have known it would be yet one more gorgeous photo of your gorgeous girl!

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the responses. My thoughts are sort of a combination of both ideas expressed. The praise would help her identfly the importance of the potty and where to do it, but she has to be cognitive of what she is doing at the same time. I was just a little worried that she has not shown any signs of discomfort on the dirt diapers nor a desire to be changed.

LOL at you guys being unsure of the picture.

Joe

• Bev__
    18 years ago

Your daughter is a doll.
    I agree with Sally2, Jac & grannymitts suggestions. Another suggestion that worked for me is to put her in pretty BIG GIRL panties, even if you go thru a dozon a day for a couple days. My girls didn't want to wet their big girl panties. Pull ups (wish we had them) are still good for nights for a while. Also if she has to use an adult toilet and is afraid of falling in, set her on it backwards so she can hold onto the tank till her fear goes away.
    I thinks boys are harder to train too. My grandkids all trained slower than my kids. One grandson was almost 4 before he was day trained, 4 of the boys still wear pull ups at night and they are 4, 5, 2 are 10).
    I think because I had all those diapers to soak, wash & hang out I was more diligent about getting the kids trained early. My girls were trained just past 1yr old after the bottle went. The boys were closer to 2 when they were trained.

• Jacquelyn8b
    18 years ago

Oh, I forgot about the 'big girl' panties! The prettier the better. Our time frame was the same as Bev's.
    My son was easy - he loved the game of 'hit the cheerio'. He was so proud when he 'sunk' the cereal. (still lol!)
    Isn't quite like writing your name in the snow so it should work for a girl, too.

• pjtexgirl
    18 years ago

Oh egads Sally you just made me have flash back! You see I hate being at the mall. I'm not big into crowds or something. Anyway, the mall has 5 zillion bathrooms and lucky me, I got to see every single one!!!! I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown trying to escape from that d*mn mall let me tell ya!LOL!
    Jac,"Sink the Cheerio" right on!
    Who doesn't like pretty underwear? LOLOLOL! PJ

• sally2_gw
    18 years ago

Oh, PJ, what a nightmare having to visit all the bathrooms in the mall. Shuddering while I write this...

Sally

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Public restrooms scare me

• sally2_gw
    18 years ago

But, you're a guy. You don't even have to sit down! LOL Well, you better get over your fear, and maybe take a pack of those sani-wipes with you whenever you take your daughter anywhere.

Sally

• elizgonz
    18 years ago

I'm a little late, but are in the midst of PT with my 24-mo. old. We started with big girl panties - tons of them. Elmo, Strawberry Shortcake, Dora, all of them.

First, we'd wear them over her diaper, then she eventually would wear them without a diaper. I stay at home with her so this was very easy for me. We ran into some trouble because she really started to hold it to avoid wetting or soiling the panties. I'd sit her on the potty over and over and over again, but she wouldn't go. She'd hold it until we put a diaper back on her. One day, out of the blue, she went. From then on, she hasn't stopped.

Not all of it has gone perfectly, though, there were accidents (mostly just wet ones), and there is some anxiety about #2. She seems to be getting over that. Also, right before it clicked for her, she would frequently freak out, telling me that she had to go, but she wouldn't actually go. The urge was there, but there was this incredible anxiety about going in the potty. Like I said, though, it just clicked one day. Right now, she's in panties from the time she wakes up until she goes to bed, then we put on a pull-up.

Good luck.

• mikeandbarb
    18 years ago

Boy, I haven't potty trained a child in 30 years LOL.
    I was very lucky with my daughter, See my son being the first born and them only being 15 months apart they were very close and when my daughter was ready to use the potty chair she just copied big brother, it was easier for him to sit to use it thank goodness or she would have had a very hard time going and I would have had to clean up all the time. I didn't think my son was ever going to stand to go potty but then I guess that's what happens when a single mom raises boy's.We don't have the right equipment.
    Your daughter is very pretty and looks likes she very sweet you just got to love them.

• stressedoutsteph76
    16 years ago

My daughter is almost 4 years old. Potty training has been a battle I'm about tired of fighting. During 3 years of glycolax, she was still having periods of time where she would be constipated. This was not making sense to me. We finally had enough of seeing our daughter cry when passing a stool, so we went to a pediatric gastro doctor who did an upper/lower g.i. and a biopsy to rule out hirschsprungs, etc. She does have bad reflux, so now we're taking prevacid twice a day and prednisone to clear up the esophogeal infection. He also stretched her rectum, which was causing the periodic constipation. He has us sitting her on the potty at night for 10-15 minutes to help train her brain and colon. Some days she'll poop/tinkle in the potty, if it's at the time we put her on there, or if she tells us on her own. But most days, she wants nothing to do with it. She is extremely stubborn. We've tried rewards, smiley faces, toys, candy, applause, even Dr. Phil's doll that actually tinkles. She was very attached to the doll for a while, but now wants nothing to do with it all. We've even taken away her favorite toys, but she doesn't act like she cares in the slightest. We've even tried spanking her. She's gotten to the point where she lays down and says, "Change me." She goes to daycare everyday, and I don't think they're helping us with this like they should. She's also been a terrible sleeper all of her life. Not taking naps, and waking up still 2-3 times a night. I'm at my end. I don't know what else to do, where to go. I have MS, teach school, and rest is so important. I'm about to lose my mind.
    Please Help!

• denisew
    16 years ago

Lots of good advice here. I remember my mom telling me that she got me potty trained by telling me that she would buy me pretty little lace panties if I would start using the toilet. She said I started using the toilet and she bought me the pretty panties. hee-hee!

I have boys and they take a little longer than girls in general. We pushed our first one too soon and had to back off and let him do it at his own pace. Poor little guy would get constipated and we'd end up using "positories" as he called them to help him. He was about 4 before he was fully trained. Our second son started potty training himself wanting to do everything big brother was doing, then went backwards when son number three was born, but eventually got back on track. Third son copied older brothers but also enjoyed going pee outside in the backyard and once on the garage floor - 'cause it made a loud noise and was funny to him.

I think the thing that got my boys to using the potty was watching one of those potty training videos. There was one where the song went, "Now I'm going to the potty, potty . . . Yes, I'm going to the potty, potty, etc." They enjoyed singing that song when they went to the potty and it was just one of those songs I couldn't get out of my head! A friend of mine started laughing at me a couple months ago when I was talking about this subject to someone and started singing that song. She said it was the same video she used for her daughter! Check your local library to see if they have any potty training videos available for check out. We checked this one out for two weeks with my second son since he enjoyed watching it so much!

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

stressed, I have worked with and have a child with physical/mental issues(my kid has mild autism/AS AND Celiac disease.) He didn't go to the bathroom normaly until he was 3 or so even with a diaper. I had problems with my stomach/intestines for most of my adult life and thought the two might be related. Normally MD's look for stunted growth,anemia,and other mal absorbtion issues to diagnose Celiac. Well, my son weighted 10 1/2 lbs when he was born and I'm 5' 9" tall. I was on the low end of the weight scale but not emaciated. There are also obese Celiacs.( The symptoms on line are the symptoms when things get really bad. I only had part of the symptoms but they were pervasive as h*ll).) I'm not a MD but that sure does sound like a physical issue. Also, child rearing is hard for everyone. A child with issues that have you worried is twice as difficult. A bit of counceling wouldn't hurt and it helps to have some support. PJ

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, this I totally forgot about this thread...

Stressed, sorry about your situation. I don't think I can be any help.

Abigail's is potty trained and all now. Now we have work on Eli, though.

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

Wow they've grown!!!! You have one lovely family there Joe!
    How you doing in the dry old desert? PJ

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tucson is fun, big and has plenty to offer as far as recreation. We have been taking full advantage of that.

Some of the WORST drivers I have ever encountered are here. I have never been shown the "bird" so many times in my life. We have not made any friends ( outside of work) here. We had a lot of friends in San Angelo. It is effecting Erin more than me. She is a stay at home mom and she has had the hardest time meeting people she shares common interests with. Erin is quite a bit more introverted than me, actually introverted is something I have never been called, so thats plays a bit into the situation as well. I was a little too honest about it the other, she was venting to me about it and I told her if she was doing anything to change it. I don't think there was anything wrong with what I said but the timing was not right as she was a little depressed at that moment. Ohh well, it worked. She is starting to search for playgroups and such and has few planned out to visit.

Zjoe

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

You aint in the South no more :(. It's much harder to find friends in the West/Southwestern states.There aren't a whole lot of stay-at-homes because the cost of living is quite a bit higher usually. I hope she finds a wonderful playgroup that is warm and friendly and not shallow.

Texas and other older states(the further you go west the younger the state is in terms of settlements getting established) have a COMPLETELY different set of driving rules. I have a terrible time driving in TX and have no problem in AZ NV or CA. I think it's because the roads are so different that people learn how to drive a certain way to compensate in their area. I also noticed that pretty much everything on the road in these states is done at high speeds. PJ

• Aubergine Texiana
    15 years ago

Mine son is 3 years and 3 months and he'll occasionally want to sit on the potty, but only some of the time that's without his diaper. If I ask him if he wants to sit he'll give me a vehement No! Or if I try to take his diaper off he'll start shrieking. I really think this one is going to need to be his own show. I am thinking about trying the One Day method. Everyone is tired of the Diaper Game.

We chunked our Diaper Genie ages ago. It was good in the begining. but it went downhill fast. I'd rather use the trashcan. It doesnt stink nearly as bad!