Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauramay67

Cat in Desperate Need

lauramay67
17 years ago

This is a long shot but you guys are always so helpful with the garden stuff I figured I might have some luck here. My neighbor had double aneurysms about 5 months ago and has been in the hospital- which left her cat alone at home. We have been going over every day to feed her and check on her. We found out this weekend that my neighbor is not going to be able to come home. She is likely going to have to go to a nursing home and will not be able to have her beloved cat. So, now we are trying to find her a home- the cat, I mean. She went home with the ex-daughter in law but Molly didn't get along well with the dogs. We have a cat and 2 inside dogs so I don't think she is going to work out here either.

She is skiddish at first but is friendly once she gets adjusted. Of course, she has been kind of traumatized being alone so long, but I think she will be fine. She is about 8 years old and is current on all shots. She is a healthy cat.

I can't stand the thought of her being euthanized so we are trying to find her a good home rather than taking her to the shelter.

Any ideas?

Laura

Comments (7)

• denisew
    17 years ago

Sometimes it takes awhile for a cat to adjust to their new surroundings, especially with dogs in the house. How long has the cat been with your ex-daughter-in-law? Were the dogs hurting or chasing the cat or the other way around? Female cats tend to be a bit shyer than males - at least that has been my experience. When we adopted our yellow lab, he chased our younger cat because the cat ran from him, but my old cat (all 5 pounds of her) - then 19 and now 21 put that dog (90 pounds of dog) in his place and ever since then he has a lot of respect for her space. He doesn't chase the younger cat anymore either. It did take a few months, but they all adjusted. Our bassett hound will curl up and sleep with the younger cat. Of course, it depends on what breed of dogs she has since some breeds have very distinct personality traits. I do hope you can find a home for this kitty. It sounds like she needs a lot of socialization since she has been alone for some time.

• lauramay67
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I did some reading on the internet and decided i would bring molly here. She has been in my daughters room sequestered from the other pets until she gets more comfortable. My daughter has only been in there about 2 hours and Molly will already let her pet her. If anyone has any more ideas let me know.

Laura

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

You're taking the approach I was going to recommend. You've started her out in one room. Gradually, when she and your other pets get used to each other's smell and presence, you can introduce them. It's good that your dogs are already used to cats. There may be some fights at first, but once they settle on heiarchy (sp?), they'll calm down. I have 6 cats, plus an additional stray I'm fostering and hoping to find a new home for. She's living in my daughter's room until we find her a forever home. It seems cruel, in a way, to keep her locked up in one room, but she has all she needs. It happens to be the computer room, too, so she gets lots of lap time while I'm using the computer. Anyway, that's a digression.

Good luck, and way to go!

Sally

P.S. Oh, I just thought of something. Maybe you can take a picture of the cat to take to your neighbor. I bet she'd really like to have a picture of her, since she can't have her there with her. It's too bad they don't allow cats. I can understand, but it's still a shame.

Sally

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

How is Molly doing?

• bev1951
    17 years ago

How is Molly adjusting ? This last time bringing in kittens I got Tiger's brush & gave her a good brushing then took the hair & rubbed it all over the kittens before we brought them into the house. Don't know if that helped but she likes these 2 better than any of the others. I'd also heard of putting peanutbutter on dog's toes to lick off & then they all have the same scent too. Good Luck !! Bev

• lauramay67
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for all of your responses. Molly is doing really well. She is still living in my daughter's room for the most part. We are putting the existing animals up in another room and allowing Molly the run of the house for about an hour at a time. She is still not real comfortable with that right now so we haven't integrated her with the other pets yet.

My daughter calls herself Molly's foster mom still- but I am pretty sure we will keep her.

What methods have you tried to introduce the dog and cat? Just put the dog on a leash and let the cat come to the dog?

Laura

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

I think it's pretty important to let the existing pets feel they are still rulers of their roost - even if they may not be eventually. ;) Just make sure no one feels the new cat is more important. Sounds like you are doing just great.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations