Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redthistle

Thoughts on Dogs

Redthistle
15 years ago

I had to go to the animal shelter this weekend to look for my daughter's dog. Of course in the process I found a dog I liked, but the dog was already spoken for.

There have been many posts here on GardenWeb lately about dogs. I'm a dog-nut so I read them all.

Anyway, I have a dog (a small schnauzer mix) who is 10 y/o and have been debating getting another dog. My poodle of 10 years died in July and I have the room for a second dog.

Just curious what some of your thoughts are on this? For example, what do you think of getting a new dog when your current dog is older? Is this a bad idea?

Also, I feel ambivalent about whether I should adopt a mutt or buy a purebred. I'd like to give an unloved/ unwanted dog a home, but these days that's not as easy as you would think. At our local shelter, over half of the dogs are pit bulls, and I don't want a pit. I'm expecting my first grandchild. :-) Anyway, I'd like a terrier mix, but I didn't see any of these except the one I wanted when I went. Also, many of the rescue organizations want you to fill out tons of paperwork, have a home visit, and agree to go to obedience school, and then their dogs are pretty expensive. Seems like a lot of red tape. I understand they spay/neuter them and provide shots so this accounts for part of the cost; however, some of these dogs are $250. My vet charges $35.-$45. for shots and Animal Trustees of Austin is less than $100 for spaying/neutering.

Any dog I get will live in the house with me and will probably sleep in my bed eventually. Thoughts?

Oh, and my daughter did get her dog back. (Her boyfriend left the door open by accident.)

Comments (27)

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

Sometimes, an older dog will resent a new addition to the family. Yet, it depends on some things, like how much time they are left alone. If everyone works, in the household, and the dogs are left alone a lot, then a companion dog can actually make an older dog feel more comfortable. There is no one answer to that. Since your dog has been accustomed to a companion, it might be more helpful, in your case.

I have not been to a shelter for a pet. Being a poodle person, I have always opted to raise mine from a puppy, and to train them, myself, rather than assume the problems from another master.

All dogs should be watched, around a baby, though. So do be watchful around your forthcoming grandchild, even with your schnauzer you already have.

The cost of a pet form a shelter, is a self-supporting fee, which simply means the fees charged, support the shelter, and less of your local tax dollars. While those are relatively high, that helps prevent increases in your local property taxes.

Still, a dog has an average life expectancy of 12 yrs., so unless you are an elderly person, starting with a puppy, and having your pet for the full term of that life expectancy, is something to consider, over the adoption of an adult dog, who might be with you less time. Either way, the pain of losing them is difficult, when the time comes.

While I support the concept of the shelter, and adoption, as you say, today there are too many problem animals in shelters, and pit bulls have become a major problem in urban areas. Not a day goes by, seems like, that someone in the metro area is not attacked by a pit bull. of course there are other dangerous dogs, but that breed probably should be banned from urban areas.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

I'm nuts about dogs too and was an avid (I won't say rabid :-) pure bred dog exhibtor for years, but more recently have had wonderful dogs offered to me for adoption when I put the word out that I was looking for a small dog. After having raised scores of puppies in my life I'd now rather have an older dog that someone else has house trained.

If your dog is the playful type, and terriers usually are, he will probably appreciate having a playmate. My ten year old Basenji/Fox Terrier mix (adopted at about two years old) runs and plays for hours with our new young dog. When he is tired of it he lays outside under the potting bench and the young dog will come in the house. There is a doggy door.

I've always said that having two dogs is many times the fun -- just to watch them play and interact.

I don't have any experience with dog adoption shelters, but a friend in Seguin recently adopted a dog in that city for fifty dollars with an option to return it within a certain number of days if it didn't work out. It didn't. The dog was not housebroken as supposed and my friend didn't have the time to deal with that plus a habit of chewing.

I've been told that small dogs left in shelters go fast so you have to visit them often.

On pit bulls I read where nine out of ten reported incidents of dog bites were by pit bulls. They can be perfectly wonderful family pets for a long time, but unfortunately there is something in their brains that can be triggered to suddenly become agressive. This is probably due their history of being bred as fighting dogs.

I wish you the very best in finding a companion dog for you and your present dog. Please keep us posted.

• justintx
    15 years ago

Labrador retriever.
    They will change diapers (sticky tabs only - they can't handle the safety pins) and watch over the grandchildren. When the kids start school, it will help them with simple math (use the large button calculators), and later, it will drive the kids to and from school (no standard transmission - the clutch is a problem). Dont't teach them too much, though, my last Lab took my job.
    J.D.

• Redthistle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rick - I agree with you 100% about watching any dog, including my own, with a baby or toddler. Babies/toddlers and even older kids can be rough on dogs and even a dog that has never bitten can bite. Having had one of my own children bitten in the face by someone else's dachshund (required 19 stitches), I never want that to happen to ANY child. This dacshund, however, had bitten two people before.

Roselee - That's a scary statistic about pit bulls and biting. There are actually three breeds I would never own, and they are pit bulls, rottweilers, and chow chows. (I've seen a rottweiler break a cat's neck when I was babysitting for a couple.--Not fun to watch.)

Justintx - You make me laugh!

The link below is for Vision Hills. I am interested in a schnauzer, Rocky, that they have. He has a liver shunt, which is what my dog, Scallywag, had. I had hers fixed and it was darned expensive, but she was worth it. I could have Rocky's fixed as well, but their application is intimidating and yes, I have given up a dog before to a shelter so that would probably make me a bad prospect for dog ownership in their eyes. They also might not approve of my dusty, junky house. The application to adopt a baby might be easier???

Here is a link that might be useful: Vision Hills Dog Application

• melvalena
    15 years ago

Keep an eye out on Craig's list.
    I finally found my dog in Oklahoma City. I kept expanding my search further and further until I found what I was looking for then went and got her.

She was listed as a lab mix, but I've since found out she's pretty much pure yellow lab. 5 months later after lots of training and working with her, she's a wonderful dog! I watched (and still do) The Dog Whisperer, learned a lot from him, and we also went to 2 dog trainers. First was PetsMart then to a private trainer. I'm not new to dogs, but having always had small dogs in the past, this huge rambunctious lab was more than I could handle on my own. :)

So far as I can tell Nikki's only problem was no one took the time to work with her consistently or exercise her enough.
    Everyone who's seen her and worked with her agrees she's younger than they claimed she was, and much smarter then expected. She surprises me nearly every day with something new!

Good luck finding your next dog!

• justintx
    15 years ago

Did I mention, I like Labs?
    ;-)
    We had a deal - he didn't have to clean the pen and I didn't have to swim in ice water with a duck in my mouth.
    J.D.

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

A friend got a new dog that I was impressed with, for a larger dog. Mostly Weimaraner possibly with some lab mixed in.

Very gentle, and quiet dog. Came from a shelter.

• wilo
    15 years ago

don't forget to check petfinder.com for a dog. I live in Round Rock (just north of Austin) but drove to a rescue/shelter place in Waco for a dog. The fee was much lower and she is a wonderful dog.

• denisew
    15 years ago

I think if it is possible, let the dogs meet in neutral territory like the play yard at the kennel. See how they get along. Are their hackle up on their backs, are their bodies stiff or are they doing a playful bow encouraging the other to play? I think there are times when a younger dog (not necessarily a puppy) can keep an older dog active and helps them live longer. We had a similar experience with a couple cats - long story, so I won't go into it here. Anyway, test them out first to see if your current dog is accepting of a new dog.

• maden_theshade
    15 years ago

I'm not a dog person, but have volunteered w/ a rescue group in the past, and have also volunteered w/ ATA. I will say, ATA has the longest, most intimidating adoption application! :-) But you know, the majority of their pets have severe issues in their background. The purpose of any application is to get to know you and your family, so the group can feel comfortable that the dog going to you will be a good fit. A reputable group will have a standing offer to take the dog back if the adoption doesn't work out. So it behooves them to get as much info from you up front. They are not there to judge you and your housekeeping skills. (Believe me, they've seen worse if they ever helped clean up a hoarder house.)

When I had fosters, if I had to turn down an adopter it wasn't b/c I thought they couldn't provide a good home. On the contrary, they were usually terrific homes! But the cat they were interested in just wasn't a good match for them. Maybe they had small kids and the cat was skittish. Or maybe they had other cats and the foster they wanted to adopt had issues getting along w/ other cats. It was usually something like that and I would make sure to explain the situation to them and suggest other cats I thought would be a better match for their household situation.

Also, a home visit should be used as an opportunity to help you set up things for the dog. One time I did a home visit and the adopter had the litter box right next to the back door leading into the garage. This was a pretty jumpy cat. I made sure to point this out to the adopter and suggest they consider moving the box to another spot. My main concern was that the cat would get scared and dart out the door one day. But also, if a cat is not comfortable and secure enough to do their business in the prescribed litter box...well they will find a more private spot and it might not be where you like them to pee. Like in your closet.

So while it may be frustrating, please keep in mind that a rescue group is trying to find the best home for each animal and it's specific needs. While I highly advocate adopting from Town Lake, I will say that you are more likely to go home with a completely unknown dog. No history. At least a rescue group will have had some time w/ the animal and can tell you about their personality, how they interact w/ kids, other dogs, etc. TLAC is getting better about this. In fact, the dog rescue groups initiated a lot of volunteer programs to address these issues w/ the TLAC Adoption program. Especially since one of the TLAC policies is to immediately euthanize any animal returned. (Not something they brag about.)

Good luck to you! I would suggest looking at dogs over 5 years old. That way your older dog will be closer in energy level to the new dog.

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

While working with my mom's show dogs and working in a pet store I was often asked what my favorite breed dog was.
    I always gave the same answer. "A well trained one".
    I wasn't being a smart*ss. I've owned a Chows,Pitbull breed and a Boxer. They need a firm hand (As did my Lab!). The only problem with aggression they have is DOG aggression. B*tches will fight other b*tches and mean to kill the other dog. Dogs(male) do more posturing and less fighting.
    The Dachsund is a PERFECT example. I know of more children getting bitten in the face by a Dachsund ( Up on a piece of furniture the owner allowed them to set up a territory and not correct the problem!) more than any other dog breed.
    Why do smaller dogs bite kids on the face so much more often? A lot of folks don't understand that small dogs can inflict serious damage in the right situation. I saw folks who thought thier "Chihuahua acting like a Rottwieler" was freaking cute! A snapping and snarling menace is NEVER cute.
    Any breed you chose is going to need a firm hand. Labs are the lovliest boneheads in the whole world. They are also great hunting dogs I understand. Stubborn as heck too.
    Collies are smart. Collies will put charges on the credit card and make it look like the cat did it. Dogs with proper training are smart and a wonderful addition to the family. PJ

• justintx
    15 years ago

pj,
    my lab just texted me, and he takes exception with your comments.
    J.D.

• carrie751
    15 years ago

PJ, quit insulting J.D.'s lab........

• melvalena
    15 years ago

and mine too! :)

I won the fight over computer time, I refuse to get Internet on the cell phone and the credit card is under lock and key.
    She's getting her nails done on Saturday and won't be able to text for a while, so she's sulking under the bed.

• Redthistle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I've not posted sooner. I've been on vacation and still am.

Wilo, I took your advice and have been checking Petfinder.com. I e-mailed about one dog, but she'd been taken and I filled out an application for two other dogs, but haven't heard back from the rescue organization.

Denise, thanks for your post on dogs meeting in neutral territory. I'd read about that and agree it's important. I am madly in love with my current dog, so it's imperative that she get along with any new dog.

Maden theshade, I am looking at two dogs currently, one is 3 y/o and one is 10 months. The dog I missed out on was a 7 y/o spayed female schnauzer. I'm very willing to take an older dog provided my dog and the new dog get along. Your post is particularly interesting because I had a friend (12 years ago) who fostered dogs. I met her through a wildlife organization we both volunteered for. Apparently she had 25 dogs in her home but she didn't let anyone know this. (I write this, not to judge her, but to give you a background for her behavior.) Anyway, she was very particular about who could/could not adopt her babies. I offered to adopt one, but she wouldn't let me come over to pick the dog. My only criteria was that the dog not be a chewer. She brought me a 2 y/o dog that had been abused, hated men, and every time the dog saw my children or my husband, she would growl. I thought eventually this would go away, but what made matters worse, was when I left her in my house alone, she chewed up the base of the stairs badly. My friend told me this was because the dog didn't have any chew toys, and she brought me some hooves. The dog continued to chew up stuff even with the hooves. My friend told me this was because I didn't have a doggy door. At that point, I told her the dog wasn't working out, and she took the dog back and never spoke to me again. Bottomline: The match does have to be a good one and it's very apparent when it isn't.

pjtexgirl, your post hit home. My daughter at age 7 was bitten in the face by a dachshund, who had bitten two other people previously. Despite the fact that my dog is friendly, I know I will NEVER leave her or any dog alone with a child.

justintx, your dog has entirely too much time on his hands. He needs to get a job to pay for that phone of his. :-)

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

redthistle, that is just awful about your child. I wonder what I would've done to that POS dog for a second before deciding it's probably best not to think about it.

Ms. Carrie and Justin's lab, you are right. Labs aren't boneheaded and stubborn....
    They are able to concentrate on a particular thing or place with laser like intensity. I am pea green with envy over thier amazing ability to hyper-focus. I'll bet they could get through medical school on sheer tenacity just to show me what's what. I hang my head in shame, PJ

• justintx
    15 years ago

pj,
    The best thing about a good dog, they forgive completely and promptly. He said he'll send you a big ole cold, wet nose face lick .............................as soon as he gets out of the shower.
    (he better squeegee the door this time, dang it).
    J.D.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

I love Labs, too...
    & I love Schnauzers, too...
    & I, uh, well, I'm fond of an awful lot of dogs.

Try this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schnauzer Rescue Board

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

Thanks JD's lab dog I love Labs and their happy face thing they have going.(Labs smile more than any other dog I noticed too.) I'm glad to hear he takes showers. Hate to think were that tongue has been otherwise.... :) PJ

• little_dani
    14 years ago

Having once been a person owned completely by a few labradors, I can vouch for their smiley faces.

We had a black lab named Rascal. He was the smiliest lab in the world. He would sit on the porch and smile, and thump that tail while you decided he was friendly and came in the fenced yard, ignoring the 'Beware of Dog' sign, which they obiviously didn't think applied to that happy lab on the porch. Only after you had turned around and shut the gate, locking it securely, did this dog show his true self!

He was a guard dog, had been trained as such, and was focused, to say the least. He didn't actually bite anyone, just scared the pee out of them. He would keep them cowering until someone came to turn him off.

We had been burgled, and lost a lot, to the tune of over $200K. That is a lot of stuff. He wasn't mean, just knew what he was supposed to do.

The other dog in the yard was a different story. She was a beautiful doberman, a retired show champion. She would get down on her front end and wiggle her rear end in the air, that little short tail wagginhg furiously. She just wanted to play. Not a mean bone in her body. She would only bite a biscuit if it had a sausage in it. lol

I hope you get a sweet dog, Redthistle.

Janie

• little_dani
    14 years ago

I thought maybe I should write a p.s. to this....

"We had been burgled, and lost a lot, to the tune of over $200K"

That was a different life, different husband, different everything. Probably the house, car, and all that is in them now, isn't worth that much. I don't care a bit either, I am much happier now.

I just got to thinking that if any burgulars were out there...I would save them the trouble and the profound shock when they came to case the joint. LOLOLOL

Did you get your dog, Redthistle?

Janie

• bobbi_p
    14 years ago

Too funny Janie. I always laugh that no one would break into my house after looking in the windows. They'd see how messy everything is and decide it'd be too risky to take the time to sort through the junk to see if there's anything valuable!

• Redthistle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All,

Your "Rascal" sounds pretty smart, Janie. Your description of his smiley-faced tactics made me laugh. And yes, I did get a sweet dog.

I got my new dog on April 19th and new rabbits on April 17th, and between the rabbits and the dog, plus going back to work after being on vacation, and starting obedience training, I've not had much time to post here.

The new dog is named Pearl. (I didn't have the heart to change her name since she'd already been through many changes.) She is a 2-1/2 to 3 y/o short-haired merle Australian Shepherd mix who looks very much like a farm dog with a bobbed tail. She is a LOVING dog who wants to be in your lap even though she weighs 40 lbs.

She was originally at the local city shelter where, from my understanding, she was given up along with 8 puppies or maybe she was pregnant when they gave her up. The puppies, of course, went first and then a dog rescue group took Pearl.--I'm not sure if she was on the shelter's euthansia list or not.

According to the rescue group, Pearl really mourned her puppies and consequently "adopted" a young three month old rescued puppy as her own.

The rescue group believed Pearl was abused, and this may be the case because sometimes she will just cower when you approach her as if she expects you to beat her. On the other hand, Pearl is FULL of life. She practically dances when I let her out of her crate. (She is in her crate for 4 hours at a time when I'm at work. I come home for lunch.)

Pearl's also filled with energy and wants to garden, but she hasn't figured out what she wants to plant yet. (I've put up a low wire fence around my blackberries to protect them, and she's decided to dig elsewhere.)

I decided after having her a week that she would benefit tremendously from obedience classes. She's the kind of dog who needs something to do. (I didn't realize this about the Aussie breed.) Anyway, she is responsive to commands and just in the month I've had her, she's learned to sit, lie down, wait for her food, and "settle," which means to lie on her side. This week, we're working on the commands of "stay" and walking on a leash without pulling you down the street.

Finally, Pearl's a little possessive when it comes to sharing me with my older dog, so I find time when Pearl is occuppied elsewhere to give some one-on-one to my older dog. They play together though and the older dog, Scallywag, tolerates Pearl.

All in all, I think Pearl is a good addition to this house.

• melvalena
    14 years ago

redthistle,
    congrats on your new dog and bunnies!

One suggestion for stopping the digging is to put the dog's feces in the hole it digs then cover it lightly with soil.
    do this in every hole it digs.

Its worked for mine. :) She rarely digs anymore.

• little_dani
    14 years ago

Obedience training is very good for shy or intimidated dogs. It gives them confidence, and makes them less fearful. A dog who is afraid is much more apt to bite than one which is assured.

I am glad for you, and very glad for Pearl.

Janie

• pjtexgirl
    14 years ago

Trained dogs are always a pleasure instead of a nuisance.
    It's so nice to have them around.

My lab/chow had the ambush tactics too! LOL! The dog of two faces. She and her "sisters" all bite intruders. (Easy to fix, don't try to break into my house/fenced yard.)

Aussies are incredibly smart. They can master tricks and training not all dogs can. They are also exceedingly clever at getting into trouble sometimes. It's wonderful that you can crate her. I had an Aussie as a kid at my father's house. It learned to climb a tree! It was a fruitless mulberry with a very low crotch and the dog hated being left out. I've seen them climb ladders too.

I wonder if they got the name "Pearl" from a book. The dog in Robert B Parker's books are "Pearl the wonder dog". PJ

• Sowth Efrikan
    12 years ago

We lost our beloved woof a few months ago and the remaining woof is lonely. We will be adopting another, elderly child soon. I don't want a youngster upsetting our woof, and people generally don't adopt the more aged, so I think there is a need to reach out for them.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone