Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natvtxn_gw

Can I pick your brain?

natvtxn
17 years ago

My granddaughter is getting married in August. I want to give them a gift that is meaningful.

They are military and will be moving around. So it can't be fragile or heavy.

Comments (11)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Kathy, you might think this is tacky but someone gave one of these to the DD of a friend and she loved it.
    jolana

Here is a link that might be useful: memory quilts and throws

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the idea, but her mother is the memory quilt person.

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

DH gave me a huge oil paint portrait of my kids. The artist used a picture we had done at a studio. It is one of my treasures.
    Maybe use their engagement photo and have one done in 8x10 scale? There are companies that do it with a computer but I think it's nicer if it's done by a good artist.

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

Just thought of another thing, my Mother paid for the wedding photographer for my neice. Now every time she pulls out the album or wathces the video she thinks of my Mom.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Depending on how much you want to spend, what about a savings bond, or money market account that they can add to. I know that money may not seem memorable, but young people have such a hard time saving these days, (well, actually us old people do too) that some kind of investment account might be very helpful to them.

Sally

• trsinc
    17 years ago

How did they meet? What are their hobbies? Do they have any joint interests or funny stories they like to tell about themselves as a couple?

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They met in college and discovered they are both in the Air National Guard.

I don't know him.

• MrsBox77
    17 years ago

I love the portrait idea.
    The thing I treasure most from my wedding is a large family Bible. It has our family tree. I transferred from my confirmation Bible what my grandmothers had told me..and added my DH..his family (what I could get..they didn't know much)...and our children/grandchildren. Came in very handy when a cousin was looking for information. He was flabbergasted that I had what he was looking for (our great grandfather in Poland..when our grandfather hit Ellis Island..etc). It is really the only thing that has survived. Everything else went out of style or got used up.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Kathy, Mrsbox has a great idea, and with all the family information you already have, you could put together a treasure for them to pass on to their children and grandchildren. This sounds like the perfect gift!!!!

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

I still have a recipe box with cards full of recipes from all my relatives. Each friend or relative hand wrote a card or two for the box of recipes that they used.

3x5 cards and a card box - very simple, and very meaningful

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

What about an engraved frame from "Lasting Treasures" (I think that's the name of the place) then put their wedding picture in it.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!