Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remuda1

Jim???

remuda1
16 years ago

A question for you. At some point in the not so distant past we were all discussing black spot and you mentioned a systemic (I think) Bayer product. I have found the systemic insecticide/fertilizer product from Bayer, but is there also a systemic fungicide product?

Thanks,

Kristi

Comments (32)

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

Yeah Kristi, it's called "Bayer Advanced, ALL-in-One, Rose and Flower Care". It contains systemic fertilizer, insecticide, and fungicide. You mix with water and pour around the base of the plant, and is good for 6 weeks. I like this better than spray, and with sprays, I have to apply weekly. Hope this helps.
    Jim

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jim, Dadgummit I bought the 2 in 1 (insect/fert) a few months ago. It's a granular that you put around the base and water in. I'll look for the all in one. With this weather I haven't planted Pinkie (It's really taking a hit with the BS) yet and the corn meal is NOT doing the trick. I plan to plant this week and will use the All in one at that time :).

Thanks again,
    Kristi

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

My Pinkie is spotted up pretty bad also. This weather is reeking havoc with my gardening plans. I've got to finish building Don Juan's trellis, then build an umbrella trellis for pinkie, before I plant her. Things are supposed to clear up tomorrow.
    Jim

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

I pour the Bayer's around my cannas also, and haven't had a leaf roller since I started.
    Jim

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Jim, thanks for the advice about the cannas - sometimes, I have leafrollers really bad. I will definitely try this on mine.

• Bev__
    16 years ago

Jim......how do you make an umbrella trellis for your Climbing Pinkies? Sounds like what I might need.

At the Neil Sperry show a while back, Kristi "made" me buy 2 pinkies & 2 sweet pea's!

I have the climbing pinkies in 2 large pots now, but will need to either get them in the ground in the next couple weeks or wait till next fall. An umbrella trellis would be neat. I had been thinking about an oblisk (what ever those tower things are), but your idea sounds better.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Well, Bev, if you figure out how to make one of these, let me know. That is one good looking trellis, and it could be used free standing ANYWHERE I want to put it.

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Kristi "made" me buy 2 pinkies & 2 sweet pea's"

Oh Puh-leaze! I am trying to come up with something similar for Pinkie as your umbrella Jim. I think I would like to have it only about 3 feet off of the ground though so as to just kind of support the canes and still let them do a LOT of arching above that.

I am thinking of using the wire mesh we have (goes under concrete-5X5 square holes in it) and making a 3ft high, 2ft wide, from front to back, arch with it. Then let the rose grow up through it. I can pound stakes into the ground and attach the four corners of the arch to them.....LOL, definitely a redneck version of a rose support, but I *think* it might work. It will end up about 3ft from side to side as well.

I am thinking that maybe clematis or morning glory on either side of the rose, close to the wire to kind of grow on and hide the wire......Sounds okay on "paper" anyway ;).

Kristi

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

Shoot Kristi, I bet within 2 years, the rose would completely hide the wire. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Jim

• denisew
    16 years ago

I noticed his umbrella trellis in another picture that Jim posted awhile back. Thanks for letting us know how you made that. I thought it was something he bought. There are a lot of vines that would benefit from a support like that. Maybe I can get hubby to build one for me.

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jim, I'll post a pic once I get it in place. My biggest concern is that once the rose gets big enough, it may lift the mesh, but LOL I guess I'll just get taller stakes if that happens ;).

"Maybe I can get hubby to build one for me."

Sigh.......that's why I can't have one like Jim's :(. Mine works way too many hours and has zero interest in the gardens. BUT...this helps keep my mind active trying to think up ways to do things by myself, heeheehee.

Kristi

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

I wasn't going to post more pictures of this trellis until the rose had covered it, but since there seems to be some interest, I went out and tried to get some pictures showing more detail of the construction. The central column is a half circle, the umbrella something less than a half. The perpendicular rods extend into the ground 15". The column is also secured to the rails of the fence with lag bolts at three places on each side.
    Jim

{{gwi:296531}}

The trellis I'm going to build for Climbing Pinkie, will have a central column that is 5' tall, and an umbrella that is 2' across. It will be a complete circle and free standing.
    Jim

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Jim, you got a winner there, that could be manufactured and marketed. Make it out of aluminum rod (no rust), with hardware to assemble the top to the uprights, as well as to a fence or wall, and everyone will want one, not only for roses, but for vines as well.

The selection of supports available in stores is sad, at best. I decided to opt for a dbl hanging basket support that had a nice crossbar and decent height, for my Jacob's Coat tree rose. Worked ok, but I still had to do a lot of wiring of canes to the support. Did that just in time, as the next week, the entire plant bloomed out, into a huge rose tree.

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim, that is fabulous! Thanks for posting the additional pictures. It IS an excellent idea to market! Everyone will want roses and vines that they can basically shape into *trees*. By the way.....that ROSE IS FABULOUS AS WELL!! What is it?? LOL, I am NOT a rose lover by any stretch....you guys are EVIL!!!

"The selection of supports available in stores is sad, at best."

Isn't that the truth Rick? I was browsing them not too long ago and walked away disgusted. I was even looking at them trying to find some that I could use in different combinations just to make ONE that would look nice and be functional as well.....Not gonna happen.

Kristi

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

Kristi, that's Climbing Joseph's Coat.
    Jim

• Bev__
    16 years ago

I am very impressed with your umbrella's.
    You are just amazing. Welding & electricity are 2 things I'm afraid to mess with.
    I'm wondering if I might be able to make something similar with soft copper tubing. I've got some out in my workshop that I bought for some other project I never did. I need to put my brain to work on this. thanks for the wonderful pix.

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the ID Jim. It will really be spectacular when it cascades over the trellis. Of course, I'd love to see pics then too!:)

Kristi

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Kristi, please post pics when you get yours made. You saw the trellis DH made for my Italian tree tomatoes - but you have a great idea for my vines and roses.

Jim, I only wish I could make one like yours - it is attractive even when it isn't covered.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Not to intrude here, but Climbing Pinkie sort of makes it own umbrella with those long arching canes though I am sure a support to give it balanced dimensions would be stunningly gorgeous.

I noticed something else ARE in SA did with it was to weave it through the wooden fence by the sales office. The lateral canes produced oodles of blooms. Beautiful!

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No intrusion roselee, but could you pass the tissue so I can wipe the drool off of my laptop? Is that YOUR Pinkie???? Gorgeous.

Kristi

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Yes, 'tis mine. The pix was taken a couple of years ago, but of course I still have it and love it. It is so easy to grow and practically thornless.

I think it does especially well where I have it because it gets plenty of water from the washing machine draining a little above it.

The only small fault Climbing Pinkie has (which is easily forgiven)is that there is some cane die back for no apparent reason, but being thornless it is easy to get in there and cut the dead canes out. So it you find yours doing that it's nothing unusual.

It flushes several times a year and there are always a few blooms on it. I don't spray it and while it might get a spot here and there it's nothing noticable.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

WOW, I love the pinkie it really gets big. Does it need a lot of water? If not it might be the next one on my rose list to get. I also like seven sisters.
    I have a large area that has not been touched yet but I'm thinking of expanding HEHEHE, Anything to get more beautiful flowers.
    Barb's

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Kristi, see what you have to look forward to with your baby "pinkie"?????
    Beautiful, roselee !!!!

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carrie, I cant wait to see mine nice and full like that. I wish I had an area that I could just let it sprawl like that as well. But in my situation, it will have to be kept a little bit more in bounds, hence the need for the support.

Jim, just wanted to let you know that although I still haven't gotten Pinkie in the ground, I felt I needed to go ahead and treat it with the all in one and it already is looking much better. Whew, I was getting pretty concerned there for a little while and since it's so small now, didn't want it to decline anymore than it had. Thanks so much for the information and recommendation :).

Kristi

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Roselee just gave me an idea, Kristi - I could put one on the birm by the pond (the all clay area where the other two seem to be doing so well) and just let her sprawl, what do you think?

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carrie, I think it would be beautiful. You may not get the height that Roselee has since hers is probably intertwined in the chain link fence, but I think a Pinkie would look lovely in the area you are speaking of :).

Kristi

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Well, that does it -- I will definitely have to go to Brenham when I go to Lexington for homecoming.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

In response to the question above I don't think 'Climbing Pinkie' actually needs a whole lot of water to grow and bloom, but like with any rose it does respond positively to it. My roses have never had more buds and blooms than they do this year which is due, I think, to the late winter and spring rains. Good luck with your Pinkie!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Roselee, I am a "waterer" of plants - just ask any of them, even those who would rather not - at least until they are fully established. I have two roses - Cecile Brunner and Baby Blanket on the birm, and both have responded so well that I really think they need company.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Kristi, I was listing to a garden show and the lady said the best organic way to treat black spot on roses is to remove all the infected leaves and apply a mixture of 2% milk and water to your roses twice a week( 1 to 1 mixture), and also mix corn meal in the soil around the roses. Barbra,

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barbra, thanks :). This plant is still in the container and the corn meal I was using was not making a dent. LOL, I scratched it into the soil AND even sprinkled it all over the plant after removing all affected parts. It's very small right now and was on the verge of being *naked*, meaning without leaves at all. I will try the milk and water later on when it's in the ground if I have further problems but needed to do something assertive in order to not lose it entirely.

Thanks for the tip, and have a great day :).

Kristi