Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

A very odd coincidence - very strange timing

sally2_gw
17 years ago

I'm actually kind of amused by this happening. When my mother passed away, I filled out a forwarding form at the post office, so I would get the mail that was coming to her house. Yesterday, April 27, was the 4th anniversary of my mother's death. Well, yesterday my late mother received a jury summons - four years to the day that she passed away. Think she might have a good excuse to get out of serving?

Sally

Comments (14)

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Yes, I think they would have to accept that as a valid reason, Sally. Strange world where we have become just a number.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

That is so odd. What do they do if you don't show for jury duty anyway? PJ

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

That makes me giggle. Sorry. PJ, as far as I can tell they don't do anything. Sally, if you feel like going to the trouble , you might let them know your mom is in another area, and unable to attend.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out a way of breaking the news to them in a humorous way, but I figure that if I get to even talk to a real human, they'd probably not be someone in a position of power. They'd just be a telephone answerer. My guess is that when I call I'll just be talking to machines. That's the way of the world now.

There was a little story on the news the other day about a 95 year old woman that was given notice that her medicare had been canceled because she had died. She did manage to convince them that she was still alive. The silliest thing about that is that they sent her a notice at all. Sending a notice to a "dead" person...our tax dollars at work.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

LOL! If you don't laugh,you'll get depressed! PJ

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Most jury summons come from mailing list 10-20 years old. There is no way to prove you received it, thus no way to do anything to you for not showing up. I have a friend that is in charge of it here. I get them in my names from previous marriages so I write "no such person" and mail them back. Heck fire, I divorced that idiot 12 years ago! Send them a change of address form with the cemetary address listed! I'm surprised it made it to you, usually the po will only forward stuff for a year.
    Tally HO!

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I am amazed it still got forwarded too. When you NEED something forwarded it gets lost in neverland!
    My mom died in 98 and it still stops my heart when somone asks for my moms maiden name for my ID purposes.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We still get things for her from time to time. They're addressed to her name at my address. That's how this summons is addressed. There is a form to fill out on it for medical excuse, but I have to include a note from the doctor. Hmmm. I wonder if it's worth going to the trouble. I may just ignore it and see if anything happens.

Sally

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I would just ignore it. It would be fun to see if they sent a constable out with a warrant for her arrest.

Daddy has a p.o. box. Many years ago they stopped at the po as they were leaving town for the summer. There was a jury summons in there for Mother. They put it back in the box and left town. They never heard another word. They lived in a small town and knew everyone there.
    I am sure someone told some one that they had gone to Alaska for the summer.

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

Sally, nothing will happen if you ignore it. Still, it would be amusing to respond somehow. Surely one of the great wits on here can help you think of something?

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Sally, I think it is interesting that it came on the 4th anniversary

Did your Mom have a good sense of humor? If so, I bet she is getting a kick out of it, lol

• maden_theshade
    17 years ago

I'm curious to know if they'll take her off their mailing list. We bought a fixer-upper from an elderly lady last year. While all her mail is forwarded, we still get mail for her kids and also some friend. The daughter just got a jury summons and the friend once got a check from the IRS. I just mailed it to her. I wish I could fill out a change of address for all of them.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, my mom had a great sense of humor, and probably is laughing about it! I'll try and come up with something witty to write in my response. Maybe that old song about John Brown's body a-moldin in the grave. lol

Sally

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Sally, that would be hysterical.
    Too bad we can't see them when they receive these things

I have heard tho in some states the percentage of people that actually serve is so very low, that they are considering or have raised the daily amt of money, prosecuting and letting felons serve