Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

Expensive birds, cheap palms

beachplant
17 years ago

Yesterday when I drove in the alley to get home I saw lots of purple. Took me a minute to realize it was a flock of indigo buntings! Then a hummer flew right up to me. THEN several goldfinches went swooping by. So I got back in the truck and went to get the poor things some food, the feeders are empty. Well, that was an expensive trip! Had to get gas, cost me a little over $50 to fill up. So on my way to get bird food, which is now in the garden center, crafty people, I noticed that they had plants for 1/2 price.

Being a part of the plant-a-holic-I-have-no-willpower-enabler bunch I loaded up the cart. I bought a canary island date palm for $16.47, a huge pygmy date palm with lots of small suckers for $33.44, a HUGE lily of the nile for So my fellow junkies, get thee to Wallyworld and buy some palms! I'm going back tonight to get one I really want and NEED!

Tally HO!

Comments (9)

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Tally, I hope this means you are going to clear a path for me so I can get to the plants I want to dig. BTW, I am sooooooooo glad I NEVER do anything like this. I am sooooooooo in CONTROL when I go to the nursery......

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I would've loved to see those birds!!!PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Trade you some starlings and grackles for the song birds. (smile)

We have a mockingbird or two, but that's about all the song birds around us.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Yeah, I'd love to have some birds like you've got and some of those plants too. You really went and knocked yourself out on a shopping spree. I would have loved being at that shop too. LOL
    Barb

• melvalena
    17 years ago

I managed to walk through the garden center at Wallyworld twice in the last week with out buying a dang thing!!!
    Either I already have it, or know it won't work for me.
    They haven't had any of the things I'm looking for.

WOW. Its been a long time since I've been able to do that.
    (plus I know there's a swap this weekend, and again in 2 weeks and I still have stuff in the garage that needs plunking!)

• denisew
    17 years ago

I rarely have trouble going through thr WalMart plant department. I usually see the usual stuff everyone else plants and I don't want that stuff. It is either very typical stock or the plants have been damaged or look sick. I don't remember the last time I bought a plant there. I would rather go to a reputable nursery where I know the plants are healthy and pay full price than risk getting a sick plant from Wallyworld. Maybe it is just this particular one close to me, but never been impressed with their plants.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Tally, you scored with plants and birds, sorry about the gas tho
    Maybe it would be worth it to drive down to get palms, DH loves them
    jolana

• beachplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If you hit our Walmart when the plants arrive they are usually in great shape. Plus they actually have someone that knows plants working there. A surprising number of them are from Texas growers, the palms all from Hempstead. Roses from the hill country. And a lot from some local nurseries in the Alvin area. Even the Home Depot here gets Texas grown plants. I saw my favorite wholesale nursery on the mainland delivering to our local nursery one day!

Unfortunately the birds are just passing through. About 80% of migratory birds pass through here. My usual birds are pigeons, doves-several species, sparrows, cardinals, mockingbirds and blue jays. Starlings don't seem to visit the feeders much and every once in a while one of the local wild parrots makes an appearance.
    Carrie you are on your own for clearing a path, just dig as you go. The brugs have gone nuts and are growing over into the walkways. I plan to chop the heck out of them when they quit blooming. Who can chop a plant with a hundred flowers on it?
    Tally HO!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Who can chop a plant with a hundred flowers on it?
    My 2 sister in laws