Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwalters7

Tile update...

Dena Walters
17 years ago

Finally started laying it late late last nite..around 10:pm and quit at around 11:15pm and he nearly finished my living room area...They were gonna start early this morning and their saw broke down..ack!! So they will probably start late tonite again, but I don't care it is looking soo beautiful!! Im am so excited..LOL

And because we have nothing downstairs in our house right now I don't have access to our computer and I'll be off of work until Monday..(yea!!).

Here is the progress, the color is slightly off due to the lightening in the house last nite when they were taken but not much.

Dena

Comments (12)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

That's really pretty! PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Tile looks great. I would just hafta paint those cabinets, though. (I grab a paint brush, anytime I see white!) (grin)

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I totallly understand Rick, them and my kitchen cabinets are an eye sore to me..IF I could afford it I would have them stripped down to the raw wood and stained...sighhh..I will be painting my walls a richer chocolate brown. We hope that our next renovation will be the kitchen to enlarge it and have wood cabinets, right now its a galley kitchen with hunter green laminate counters...Heres a pic of the kitchen that I just repainted a pumpkin spice to at lease go with the green counters...looks a bit red in the picture but its more a terra cotta but deeper...
    Dena

{{gwi:1310534}}

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Yup. Look at how the flooring looks more ivory, and how much better that looks with the green than the white.

It has always been my contetntion that people who like white, are afraid of messing up, when they could have something much more attractive. Oh well.

I had limited choices in my tract house, so I opted for frost in the kitchen cabinets. Not what I would have liked, but better than white or country looking oak.

My tile is kind of a pale ivory, with just hints of other color. Also not what I would have liked, but after they put down the yuk stuff, which was supposed to be an ivory with faint streaks of pink and blue, and ended up being a very strong magenta pink, the other option was a huge improvement.

Actually, there wasn't a whole lot the builder did right, except he did get us almond or black appliances, instead of white, which was pretty important.

There were a lot of changes the first few months, including my changing out almost every single light fixture in the house to something decent. (No choices on those, from the builder.) My patio fixture was the first to go. They installed an HD jelly jar fixture, that cost $1.98! Yech!!!!

In the end, the kitchen flourescent, the closet flourescent, and a couple of innocuous hall fixtures are all that remain of the originals.

They did get the wallpaper right, but they farmed that out, of course. (grin)

Also had the wall switches all backward to what made sense, so that all had to be changed.

Anyway, after much work and time, the house is now at least passable. Still have a couple of additional cabinets to get installed, in the kitchen and master bath, but it looks half-way decent now.

Still haven't gotten all of my white molding, doors, etc. painted yet, but I'm working on it. (Why do they always paint those white, even when the walls are ivory.....???)

Never enough time, it seems, when you gotta do most everything yourself, to make it fit in the budget.

• Dena Walters
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Lord I hate white...I have had to paint my cabinets in the kitchen so many times because they get dirty and I wash them and I actually wash the paint off..LOL
    Dena

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I can't even own white clothes. Not shirts,pants or anything. That's a striking color combo you have there! PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Dena, I love your tile and you do already, I'm sure.
    I hate white too but what do I have...white kit.cab
    and white molding everywhere.
    I was so thrilled to be able to garden and not think about resale when we moved in, that's all I have thought about.

• melvalena
    17 years ago

I never fit in. Anywhere. I'm always the one who is different. :(

I love white walls. I have only white walls in my house.
    I can't stand colored walls.

In my home, wood should be wood, not painted wood. :)
    (natural color stain, is fine)

But hey, that's just me, and I'm not afraid of making mistakes. I just think white is cleaner looking and feeling.

We use oil based paints. They wash fine and the paint doesn't scrub off, and it lasts a LOT longer than the
    water based paints.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I think white is a great contrast color, and I wear a lot of it, but I agree about not wanting it for my kitchen!!!

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Melvalena, we are a lot alike. When our son moved out and I painted his old room I painted it white but did not realize it was hospital white LOL doesn't matter though cause you can't see much of the walls for DH radio's, speakers and what have you in that room.
    Dena, I like the tile, looks good. I still don't know if I'd want to go with tile or wood floors but then I think of having to mop them and I'm not keen on having to sweep and then mop too, double duty LOL. Guess I just got so worn out doing it most my life I welcome carpet. I've used those easy to use mops and they don't clean like a real mop, they leave to much soap on the floors.
    I would love to have anything on my walls other than the UGLY wallpaper that's on them now. I don't care for any wallpaper. I have been thinking of when we do get around to painting out walls what color to paint and fear I'd make a mess out of it all LOL.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Love the tile.

I'm another white hater...off white/creme is OK, just not stark white. I don't like to wear white/white either.

My girlfriend in Phx has a very large house with white walls, tiles, cabinets, appliances, fixtures, towels, no carpet)the only color in her house is a couple pieces of wood furniture (most her furniture is stainless steel with white upholstry or glass), a couple rugs even her art is white with spashes of color & her china collection. I hate going to her house. It's always cold and it echos, feels like a morgue.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

"It's always cold and it echos, feels like a morgue."

Yup, Bev, I would have to say that was a good description, of the lack of warmth and character, that white presents.