Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Truck Tool Box

denisew
16 years ago

This probably pertains to those who drive trucks and already have a truck tool box . . . maybe some of you guys out there can help me with this?

I am looking for some advice on truck tool boxes. I am thinking about getting one for my husband for his birthday. I have seen two types. One is the type that sits on top of the top edge of the truck bed on either side just behind the cab windows. The other type looks like it sits down inside the truck bed and also mounts on the back of the cab. The most common type of both styles is the diamond plated tool boxes. Which one is better? My concern with the one that fits down inside the truck bed against the cab is it might sit in water. We have the rhino lining, so there isn't an issue about it sitting up on the sides.

I did check the price of these at one auto parts store and including the mounting brackets will cost between $250-$270. Is that average or is there a better deal out there?

Comments (19)

• justintx
    16 years ago

FWIW
    I live out of my tool boxes. I wouldn't have anything but Rawson-Koenig or WeatherGuard (preferably WeatherGuard). They'll likely cost you much more than $250-270.
    The cheaper ones are ok if you don't use them hard, but the latches, hydraulic lifts and hinges don't hold up well with heavy use. They may be fine for your DH's use if he is just an occasional user.

The boxes that sit on the sides of the bed can be easier to get things out of when standing on the ground. Drawback is the space created under the tool box - EVERYTHING wants to slide under there and you have to get down on your hands and knees and dig it out. In any event, stuff that gets in the center of the box will have to be accessed by climbing up in the bed of the P/U. The ones that sit down inside the bed preserve the look of the pickup better. The Leakage should not be a problem with either box - properly installed.

I don't care for the diamond plate aluminum box because the aluminum oxide comes off onto all of your stuff inside the box turning it a dirty gray. If you lined the inside of the box with something, that would eliminate the aluminum oxide from rubbing off onto your stuff.

For me ---- I now prefer the plain white "lamb chop" shaped WeatherGuard boxes that fit down inside the bed along the sides and leave the center open. Drawback is - they don't hold quite as much, will cost about $400 each and you'll want two - one for each side. (there are cheaper ones that may fit the bill) Big plus is being able to access everything in the boxes standing on the ground.

If you're going to keep the pickup, the better boxes will last as long as the pickup.

Now that's just MY opinion.
    :-)
    J.D.

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, his thought is to use them for camping stuff - camp chairs, tent, etc. We're very involved with our boys in the Boy Scouting program and he goes camping with them monthly, but sometimes will let them go without him. Usually they want him to come along. We still have one in Cub Scouts, but he just has his two years of Webelos left, so will also start out his multiple night camping experience with summer camp this June.

I'm not certain what else he would want to store in those boxes since his job doesn't require tools - only a computer that he totes in his backpack to and from work.

I'll have to give this a little more thought. I did see one of the inexpensive ones advertised in a Pep Boys ad for $149, but figured I'd get what I paid for - like you said, it is the aluminum that would rub off and turn stuff gray.

• justintx
    16 years ago

You'd probably be fine with one of the cheaper ones. Look closely at the hydraulic cylinder lift arms and the latches. Choose one with more substantial hardware.
    You might get some more opinions from some of your neighborhood guys also.
    J.D.

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

I have a diamond plate tool box that sits in the bed and comes up nearly to the top of the bed sides. I got this kind because I pull a fifth wheel trailer, and it can hit the kind that sits on the sides, if you have to turn real sharp. I like the depth, but it is a little inconveinent to have to get up in the bed to get to stuff in the center of the toolbox. The lift arms and latches work fine, and it's about 8 yrs. old. Of course, I'm not opening it several times a day. Sometimes it's weeks between times that I need to open it.
    Jim

• beachplant
    16 years ago

If you only want to use it once a month or so just put the stuff in those big plastic tubs. You can store them loaded in the garage and toss them in when you leave. They are cheap, lightweight, easy to get in and out of and noone will try to break in them at night when you are sleeping thinking you have power tools in there.
    Like JD said you get what you pay for, the cheap ones rust, who wants a rusty sleeping bag?, the hinges break, etc. etc.
    If you really want to get one I'd look at Craigslist for a used one first.
    Yeah, I drive a truck, took off the toolboxes as for me they were impractical. They were always full of dirt for some reason. Hmm.
    Tally HO!

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tally - That is a really good idea. I'll look into those plastic bins. They're probably a whole lot cheaper, lighter and easy to keep clean. I don't know why he had it in his head that he wanted one of those expensive tool boxes. I guess he thought they looked cool and shiny and very manly. hee-hee ;-)

• justintx
    16 years ago

denise
    hey, hey, hey, watch it with the 'manly' jokes! ; - )
    It is good to have some kind of permanently mounted box in a pickup for some of your stuff since a pickup doesn't have a trunk for extra tools, etc (no man jokes!). Tally's idea for the camping stuff in specific storage boxes is a GREAT idea. I've seen that done with much success - all the camping gear is kept together all the time and easy to load/unload.
    If DH has specified what he wants, though, I'd try to get him what he asked for (at least I've learned that much from 29 years of marital bliss). The plastic storage boxes are relatively cheap and you can add those as needed.
    J.D.

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

Yeah, get the man a tool box!
    Jim

• justintx
    16 years ago

BTW, get him a cheap hydraulic floor jack to put in the too box so he can change tires easily if needed - every man's dream! Then he can throw away those agravating jacks supplied with the pickup.

What else should she get him, Jim?
    ; - )
    J.D.

• justintx
    16 years ago

I thought I should clarify - the floor jack with the wheels on it - 2 ton or more.
    LOL

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ya'll are funny! I will need to find out more specifics from him about how he wants to use it without letting on that I'm thinking about getting him a tool box for his truck. I really do think it will be used mostly for camping though. He keeps the jack under the seat in the back of the extended cab, so it doesn't take much room. His parents decided to give us this truck - which has turned into more of a liability in my opinion, but comes in handy for hauling compost. We already had three ignition coils replaced (at about $140 each including labor) in the engine and will probably get the other three replaced eventually. It had over 100K miles on it when they gave it to us, but did have new tires. It is extra insurance we pay monthly too plus the annual registration fee and then there's the inspection. See how this gift keeps adding up to more $$$ for us? And, now he wants a toolbox. You can see why I want to go with the plastic bins, right?

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, now that I've discussed the tool box thing, he goes and mentions that he wants one of those satellite map things for his vehicle - you know - one of the brands is Garmin and another is Tom Tom. He has also mentioned a big screen tv. This man is getting very expensive! I'm easy when it comes to gifts. All I want is rocks and plants. He wants the big expensive stuff! HA!

• justintx
    16 years ago

Poor man, no GPS, no big screen TV. My sympathies. BUT,,,,, you still have time!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ; - )
    J.D.

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

Well Denisew, it's time to make up for all the years of depriving this poor man. I'm on my second 60", have a tool box on my truck, AND have a GPS. Of course I don't really need it, I've never been lost. I have taken the 'scenic route' a time or two.
    Jim

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Oh, Jim, men NEVER get lost - that is a fact !!! They always find their way back - sometimes it just takes a little longer than at other times.

• denisew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, the GPS has really helped men in my opinion, since most men don't want to stop to ask for directions . . .

I have to say that my husband is quite frugal and I tend to be that way too, so if we were to get a bigger tv (we do have a 32" now), that would mean getting a different piece of furniture where it would be placed. Our entertainment center has limited us to a 32" and if we got a new one for a bigger tv - where would I put my collection of Andrea ceramic birds or photo albums or the special things my boys made for me in preschool - like the hand print angels, etc.?

Besides, his parents always give him a couple hundred $$ for his birthday, so maybe he could use that to buy a GPS. They give me a card for my birthday - sometimes. (Did I just say that?)

• justintx
    15 years ago

Ok, I fully understand the problem now.
    This man needs a shop. Put the 60" TV in the shop, find a few old recliners, an old working refrigerator, fill the frig with cold "drinks" and when football season starts, invite Jim and I up to help him break in the new shop. We'll help him organize the truck tool box, learn how to ignore the GPS and then find himself again.
    Problem solved!
    Next question.
    ; - )
    j.d.

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Well, that would certainly give new meaning to "go to your room" when he gets in the "doghouse", wouldn't it??

• denisew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We do have an 8' x 10' shed . . . :-D