Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

had to give up my cat

denisew
17 years ago

We've had this male cat since he was a kitten. He has become my youngest son's cat. My son would carry him around like a rag doll, even giving him piggy back rides by holding his front paws over his shoulders. The cat was so patient with him unless he got too rough, then would give him a "love bite" to remind him. For the past couple years we've dealt with a urinary tract infection in the cat. We've replaced flooring multiple times, replaced wood on our china cabinet, etc. due to him urinating in the same area of our dining room. About a week and a half ago, we noticed he had peed again, so took him to the vet to put him on antibiotics again. They tested his urine and sure enough - another UTI. So we started the antibiotics again. He had also been on Methioform to acidify his urine and keep it "flowing" properly, but he was never thrilled with taking those pills. He had been on those for over a year.

We had a small portion of our flooring replaced again last Thursday. That brought the expense up to around $500 that we've spent replacing urine soaked floors including the repairs to our china cabinet. Then on Friday after getting the floor fixed, he turned around and peed again. The floor was ruined again! My husband found it and was absolutely furious.

I know that any animal rescue group and the local animal shelter would just put him down coming in with a medical problem, and nobody is going to want a cat with recurring UTI problems, so I figured the best thing would be to take him to our vet to have him put down ourselves. We explained the situation to my youngest son and he even picked out a spot in our garden in the back where he wanted to bury him.

Walking across the parking lot to the vet's office on Saturday morning, I lost it and started crying, but made it into the office where I started crying all over again. I think I took it worse than any of my boys. My youngest son couldn't be there because he was with my husband at his first communion retreat at church. So, it was up to me to do this.

They called us back to one of the rooms and I talked it over with our vet who had been treating him all along and he understood. Then he looked at the chart and saw he was only 5 years old and said, "Just a minute . . . I'll be right back." He came back with the other vet who said he knows of a lady who lives on a farm who takes cats who can't be kept inside any longer. So, that is where he went - to the farm. I think it is a much better choice than the alternative. We still miss him even though it has only been a couple days, but this was the only solution. He was such a sweet tempered cat, I just hated the thought of having to put him down. I am glad I have photos of him so my son can remember his cat.

Comments (14)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Denise, I'm so sorry you had to give your cat away, I know that must have been a very difficult decision
    I hope he has a forever happy home
    jolana

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

Maybe a rock with your cat's name on it in your garden can still be added for memory sake. Sure you and your son are still sad but just think of the fun a cat can have on a farm.
    ((hugs))

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Sometimes life can be hard and this is one of the times. I have had to give up a couple of cats. One was a wild cat my DD caught and brought home with her. I tried to tame this wild cat but she wasn't having anything to do with me although she loved to sleep on my feet but if I moved my feet she'd bite the heck out of me. Then she started attacking me for no reason known to me and I just could not put up with it. She went to a ladies house and seemed very happy with her.
    The best thing that came out of your situation was that the cat didn't have to be put down and it will be much better on your son knowing the cat is in a safe happy place.
    Sorry you had to give him up but fully understand.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I had to get rid of a dog that ate part a WALL. She had other dogs to play with, chew toys out the wazooo, and I locked her away from stuff I THOUGHT! She was in the house and got plently of attention. Any kind of sprays were just seasoning. It was awful. I had to get rid of her or she'd have eaten the house literally. I was so upset but nothing could be done!PJ

• denisew
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for your thoughts. Maybe a rock with his name on it would be nice. I'll ask my son to see if he would like that.

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Denise,

Sorry for your circumstances, but I am so glad that you were able to find an alternative to euthanasia. I think the rock is a great idea and we're all so fortunate to have people like the lady who takes them in.

Kristi

• bo_berrin
    17 years ago

When I was little, my elderly cat "disappeared." I never really knew what happened to her, so I made up my own story. It comforted me to think she wandered outside, got lost and ended up on a farm somewhere, with mice to chase, friends to play with, milk to drink and hay to snuggle in.

Now that I'm grown, I realize what probably happened, but it was nice to not have to deal with such a cruel truth at such a young age. It's so good of that kind lady to take your cat, and it's good that your little boy will have a happy picture in his mind instead of a sad one. Here's one more vote for the memory garden or stone.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

I hate to be the wet blanket, but this isn't necessarily a kind thing.

Euthanasia isn't the worst thing that can happen to a pet.

Have you met this woman?

Have you seen the "farm"?

What happens when your cat gets another urinary tract infection?

Is she actually a client of your vet, or did she just give him her phone number?

So many times people who "take in" cats are just replacing barn cats that don't last long due to predators or untreated health problems.

I once repossessed a kitten, actually called the vet & told her she better get my kitten back, because I found out the true circumstances about the 'good home in the country'.

Maybe this situation really is good, & I hope it is, but if it were my cat, I'd check.

• maden_theshade
    17 years ago

Denise,

I am sorry to hear about your kitty. I too, encourage you to actually visit this person who has taken in your cat. I've been in rescue for almost ten years now and know too well there are many well intentioned people who call themselves 'rescuers' but are actually collectors. A peaceful death would have been better for some of the cats we have had to rescue from some of these little old ladies.

You can email me privately if you would like some assistance checking this out.

• denisew
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is someone our vet knows and he has been out to her place on numerous occasions and says all the cats he has taken there are still there and doing fine. I trust our vet since I have known him almost as long as he has been in business here in Allen and that is at least 30 years now.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

It's so great to know your vet really well isn't it? I had my vet from when I was a kid before I moved. When I moved 2 hrs away I'd make the drive. He was that good.I think you did the best you could given the circumstances. That was a difficult choice.If my vet had popped out with,"I've got a chance for your kitty" I'd have taken it too.
    Horders are a breed of their own. I don't understand them and I'm blessed to be that way. It's so bizarre. Hoarders want to treat living,breathing beings like coin or stamp collections you'd store somewhere and forget about.

• denisew
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I have seen so many sad stories about animal hoarders. I knew that if our vet said this lady will be good to him, I know that is what will happen even though he is now an outside cat - or at least a barn cat.

• bev1951
    16 years ago

I'm glad you've had a kinda happy ending. Your son will have so many happy memories of his friend, hopefully knowing he is alive & well will ease the hurt abit. Will you get to visit him at all ? Bev

• maden_theshade
    16 years ago

Wasn't he declawed? He's outside now?