Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasorbust_gw

Cutting garden or cut any garden?

Texasorbust
17 years ago

Always loved to have flowers in a vase in the house, now I can't make myself cut any!

NONE! Not even wild flowers.

Went horseback riding with a friend and we saw a single bloom(no clue what kind it was) next to an abandoned old barn, she was going to take it and I talked her out of it. Told her to let it do it's thing and next year there will be more to look at. Few years ago I would have raced her to it.

That rose bush out here wouldn't look any different with 1 or 2 blooms missing but they held on during all that wind last week they deserve to stay on there.

Do y'all have cutting gardens, buy massive amounts of houseplants or how do you choose who gets to take the ride into the house to sit in a pretty vase?

My counter top looks really strange with oranges piled in a vase......lol

Comments (17)

• LaurelLily
    17 years ago

How funny! : )

I know what you mean--I can't always bring myself to cut flowers for vases, either. It's hard for me to cut anything that's visible from the house, that we want to reseed, or that the hummingbirds or butterflies like.

And that really limits the selection of cut flowers!

I generally don't mind cutting roses, because those bloom all year and I don't feel that I'm really missing out on them if I cut several off. I absolutely cannot bring myself to cut flowers from any bulbs. A few times during the summer, I'll indulge and bring some sunflowers inside.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Susan, lol my GM wouldn't even let you TOUCH a flower much less cut one. I used to say, when I grow up and have my own garden I'll have cut flowers in every room, lol
    I have gone and cut flowers to take to friends, but I have never gone out and cut flowers to bring in, LOL
    I will snatch seeds tho, LOL
    What did this bloom look like?

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It looked like some kind of bulb plant, sort of irisey(make up my own words here)looking leaves that were huge. Was not an iris though, burgandy color and stacked bloom - like snapdragon style. Can't remember more details was too busy trying to "hep,hep!" her horse along so she wouldn't go deface it.lol Not far from here, I'll try to remember camera and snap a pic when we go out that way. Right across the street from a verrrrry old cemetary with tons of iris growing, lot of 1800's headstones.

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

I grow 'em. The wife...cuts 'em, while I grit my teeth and keep my mouth tightly shut!
    Jim

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Susan, the next time I visit, we should go to that cemetery, okay
    Jim, don't get your tongue in between, when you're gritting, lol

• gabriell_gw
    17 years ago

I sometimes feel guilty cutting flowers to bring inside.Left outside they can be enjoyed by all. I'm on a corner and pretty visable.

I do cut roses and sometimes clip sprigs of Rosemary for a bud vase.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

When I was a kid I loved picking flowers, even my grandparents flowers and let me tell you granny knew every time I picked a rose off her bushes I think she counted them everyday. Most likely she seen me from the window LOL, you know how it is when your young you think they have eyes in the back of their head and they know EVERYTHING.
    Rarely do I cut any flowers but if I see a rose that the stem got bent I cut it and bring it inside. Some of the flowers I have are for cut flowers but like the rest of you I can't take the cutters to them and bring them inside. I love walking around the back yard looking at all my flowers. My DH hates to see me cut flowers, he always ask me why I'm cutting it off, I have to tell him I'm dead heading them which he has no clue what dead heading is.
    I do have some indoor plants but none flower just green leafly plants.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Roses need to be deadheaded to keep them blooming, so I don't mind cutting them, & I, too, often use rosemary sprigs for accents.

One thing I'm planning on for next spring is MORE DUTCH IRIS!

I don't cut my bearded iris because they only last one day in the vase, while they last a number of days in the garden.

but Dutch iris last about a week after they're cut.

Even though they only produce one bloom stalk, they make such a wonderful cut flower that I'm thinking, you know, what would be the problem with having a zillion of them?..

enough for the garden & for cut flowers for myself & friends.

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

My DH walked the dog and returned with a bouquet for me. Of course they were MY flowers - but I put them in a vase.

The mock orange really lasts and smells so sweet in the kitchen window. And I forgave him for mowing down my forsythia bush. He was cursed and forgiven, yet I never mentioned either condition to him.

If you can't bring yourself to do it, let someone do it for you.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Bossjim, you are in love! I can't cut my posies either. Aakkk!PJ

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Funny Jim!! But it looks like (from your pictures) that you are keeping her WELL supplied. Keep up the good work ;).

Sylvia, I am sold on the Dutch Iris as well. I'm going to see if I can find some bright yellow ones this year. They put on such a fabulous show this spring that I can't resist.

I did end up cutting a big bunch of them the day before we got the last snow. They were gorgeous in the house, but there were still lots left out in the garden and they weren't even fazed by the snow blanket. Just love them.

Kristi

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I cut flowers all the time.
    Sylvia, the bearded iris stay a couple days and then the other buds open one at a time.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

"bearded iris stay a couple days and then the other buds open one at a time."

not for moi they don't!

Here's my method, maybe there's something else I can do?

I put water in the vase & with a little lemon juice & a little sugar.

I cut the flowers & plop (plunk?) them in the vase immediately.

If the they're still pretty after about 2 days, I replace the water with fresh & re-cut the stems so the flowers can absorb the water.

Please let me know how to make irises last longer;
    it would be nice to have them inside.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I wallk out, cut them and then come in to find something to put them in.
    I cut the yellow iris Saturday after the rain broke it over. This morning I broke of the faded/wilted bloom and the 2nd one is ready to open. Dang I just looked over and it is open!

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

"I wallk out, cut them and then come in to find something to put them in."

sigh.

Awright, Venessa is our forum "rose witch" (twitches her nose & rose cuttings take root).

so I guess you're our iris witch.

I'll just plop some more Dutch irises.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I cut them all the time. Just plant more and you won't be able to tell you cut them!
    Picked a bunch for my mom the other day.
    I used to take big bouquets in to work, started when my boss got back from Hawaii and was missing it. I took in a big bunch of shell ginger, yarrow, etc. They all loved them.
    I didn't used to but I would go buy cut flowers. One day I was looking at them at the store and realized I had a lot of the same stuff in the yard. So I bought a plant with the twenty bucks I was gonna spend on flowers and went home & picked my own.
    I had a contest at work and did a bouquet of toxic plants. The best response Danny got 6 out of 25 right. Considering I worked for poison control I thought that was not good!
    Tally HO!

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

LOL! How funny about the contest. A lot of plants are poisonous. Biological bug control! PJ