Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stitches216

Just my dumb luck!

stitches216
17 years ago

Stuck at Johnson Space Center on a Friday afternoon, while someone with a gun takes someone else hostage!

Just to clarify: no, I am not a hostage or the hostage-taker. But I've been feeling like a hostage for awhile.

Late update: They're letting us go now, leave the center, I mean...

Guy must've used a pair of faulty adult diapers...

Comments (10)

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Hey......it coulda been worse.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Rap, do you know if Laurel works in one of those buildings?
    I sent her an email but no response. She usually replies right away
    I'm glad you are okay

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

OMG! Did you get pics on your cell phone so you can be famous?
    Seriously, I'm glad you're OK. That is some scary **** there. PJ

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting that you are okay --- scary, to say the least!!!!

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Glad they let you go!
    Scary.
    Tally HO and away you go!

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

Any News on Laurel yet???
    Any News at all?
    Dena

• stitches216
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry, I don't know Laurel or have any more news. (I really like that name, Laurel - planted an oak tree in our yard of that variety - name of a family friend.) I hope she's OK, and await whatever anyone can know next of her.

I was never in any danger, being in a different building a good distance away. We were not told to evacuate, just to lock our doors to the hallway. I and the other people who I was locked-up with conferred briefly and brainstormed about what things were lying around in our room to use, if the bad guy busted in our door. We chuckled a little, thinking of all the everyday office things that could make some pretty nasty weapons: the pyrex coffeepot with a cup or so of hot coffee still in it; the manual hole-puncher, and so on. The youngest guy who was with us seemed the most upset. I think it was mainly because he did not know what was the status or location of his girlfriend. (She doesn't work anywhere near Bldg 44.) Anyway, he actually picked up and held a pair of scissors and paced in the office for a few minutes. For a brief moment, I was concerned about being in danger from him moreso than from the man who had the gun.

I'm just not able to sleep yet. Kinda rare for me, for a Friday night. What a horrible ending at JSC! But like Rick said, it could have been worse. I'm feeling disappointment with myself for posting such a stupid thing earlier when I started this thread. I mean, writing some little mock gallows humor brain-fart about diapers. The next time I go out to JSC, I suspect it will involve a lot more than just flashing a badge to get through the gate. Probably a long car search, at least...

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

She is fine, I think it was my mail server causing problems
    Rap, you need some passionflower tea, works everytime

• denisew
    17 years ago

Oh, I did see a news report where the guy shot and killed a hostage and himself. That is so sad and stressful for all the people who work there. I know NASA in Houston is a huge place with all the buildings all spread out, but even so, it must have been scary for you. I am glad you and your co-workers are all right.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Gallows humor is totally normal. If a person isn't there or isn't familiar with trauma on a personal basis they may not understand. It's just one way to cope. I really am glad you're here to make the gallows humor jokes! Seeing that guy freak out and pick up scissors would've made me nervous too BTW. People can act really wierd when they're freaked. PJ

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022