I was pulling weeds and........

natvtxn
16 years ago

I found a baby winecup in the grass.

Comments (31)

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

You Dufus!!! LOL

I thought you were going to say you found a snake!

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Ohhhh Jolana gave me some gorgeous wine cups. They've bloomed like crazy so far. I love winecups.PJ

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Yea, I love winecups
    Does anyone want more?
    {{gwi:1310808}}

• denisew
    16 years ago

My winecups reseeded in the area where I planted them. Now how do you keep the bunnies from eating them?

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

There are acres of them, no way they could eat all of them, lol
    In the Spring and Fall we don't see many bunnies anyway, that's when the coyotes are close up more often and they stay in the fenced forest, lol pretty smart, huh?

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

That is pretty Jolana. A natural wildflowering garden from good ol' MN herself.
    I love it, wish my weeds were as pretty as your weeds, I'll trade ya LOL.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

denisew,maybe you should ask Jolana's buddies there (tricolor and tan) what happened to the bunnies! ;^)
    I really wish I had a gorgeous field like that!!! I want my whole yard to look that way! PJ

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

No,no ,no, not Miss Maisy, How daaaare you, lol
    She just eats Hyacinth Beans, lol

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Here's you a link to some purty wildflower pics.

http://main.nc.us/graham/wildflowers/index.html

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Rick, you don't think mine are purty????
    Hmmpht! LOL

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Well.....they are pretty, but you got all them Texas weeeeeds, in there to spoil the view. (smile)

Actually, I was looking for another pic, which told the story better, but couldn't find it.

Those wildflower pics are from the edge of the Smokey Mountain National Park, which, while a lot different, are still just as pretty as the Texas ones.

• denisew
    16 years ago

Well, when you live in town and only have a couple winecup plants and those are getting eaten by the bunnies . . . well, you just hope a coyote comes up the street from the woods for a quick meal 'cause it's illegal to shoot those cottontails (or anything) in the city limits. Now that mine have reseeded, I guess that is just more food for the bunnies.

Oh, I just got a thought and it is so bad . . . if any of you have boys, you probably know where this is going . . . they could go out there to pee around my winecups and that would keep the bunnies away, right?! hee-hee! No, I wouldn't make my boys do that, but they would think it was a lot of fun. Any chance they get to pee outside is entertainment for them!

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Hahahaha, Denise, if your boys don't get to do that, you can buy that bird or deer netting and put it over them. You can still enjoy them but the bunnies can't get them.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Ya'all aren't bein' very hospitable to the bunnies. I just figure if they eat something, at least I have some critters around, besides that ornery human animal.

How much can a coupla bunnies eat, anyway?

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Hahaha, I have plenty for them to eat, btw, they can eat a lot, lol

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Mine don't eat all that much. Must have the wrong kinda plants for 'em. They love the cover, though, and like to bed down under my plants. I scare 'em up when I go out to work.

'Course, I ain't got no veggies for 'em.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

My bunnies have all gone by way of the coyote that lives across the road from me. I used to watch the babies playing - chasing each other in and out of the cannas, now I have none. So if you want to trap yours, Denise, and bring them on down to Copper Canyon, feel free.
    BTW, Jolana, your wildflowers are beautiful ------

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Well, at least the local Quiznos hasn't had any coyotes walk in, looking for service. (grin)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Jolana, I want you to take a peek in Ms Daisy's mouth and tell me what you see.... :^)(Gee, grandma what big teeth you have!)
    Denise, I do wish I had some bunnies. I probably wish that because I don't have any tho.
    I like ALL wildflowers. I like wildflowers better than the hybrids and common nursery ones. However, I like the nursery and hybrid flowers too.
    Wanna hear something sad? I had a squirrel in my garden for about 5 minutes before the dogs scared it off. They were separated by a kennel for pete's sake! Only the birds will brave my garden. Even the rats and mice took off. PJ

• little_dani
    16 years ago

Rick- There is NO prettier sight than a field of Texas wildflowers! (Certainly not in the Smokey Mountains, that is for sure, too! LOL)

My MIL, who is gone from this earth now, came to visit us when we were first married. They drove down from St. Louis in July or August, and she was marveling at our wildflowers. I think that was really the first time I had ever been conscious of them. Before they were just there, something we had.

Since then, I have become more in favor of wildflowers. And, I am most in favor if TEXAS wildflowers. Wildflowers from other states are most often offered for sale by the local nursery. Plumbago grows wild in CA.

Y'all don't pay any attention to me, I am on medication. LOL

Janie

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Couldn't agree more, Janie --- love those TEXAS wildflowers!!!!

• little_dani
    16 years ago

DeWitt County, our neighbor, bills itself as the Wildflower Capital of Texas. They do have a point.

Check it out. This makes a real nice day trip, by the way.

Janie

Here is a link that might be useful: perty flowers

• carrie751
    16 years ago

If this is a preview, I would truly love to see the real thing, but it would be more than a daytrip for me.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

.....I forgot to go to Galveston and pull weeds!

I saw a coyote running down Harborside in front of the emergency room last night when I got off. He just looked at me and kept on going. Last I saw of him he was ducking into the wharfs. So much for homeland security.

Carrie you can see the wildflowers while off plant raiding.

Tally HO!

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Janie, that would make a nice daytrip

Hehehe, plant raiding

Tally, the very first coyote I ever saw during daytime was in Galveston
    Once when we were camping on North Padre beach, coyotes stole everything out of our ice chests, but we left them out soo...

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Tally, when you least expect me ---------

• maden_theshade
    16 years ago

me me me! I want some! Do they transplant well? I've been looking for some 'endangered' wine cups to save from construction...but haven't located any yet.

• lindseyrose
    16 years ago

I *LOVE* winecups!! Today I saw a big thick stand of bluebonnets, then a bunch of winecups, and a large patch of pink primrose (buttercups), and something yellow, all at once!!! Right in the strip between the feeder and the freeway. i just about missed my turn, I got so distracted! I was surprised because I thought the wildflowers were starting to fade. But nope, there they were!

If you were seriously offering, I would love some winecups!

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Okay,for now on, if I offer something, email me, cause I might forget to look at a thread, lol

I was reading this and thinking how cool, they are getting winecups and then it dawned on me...from me, LOL

Aimee, we can meet somewhere when I get back from Carol's swap or if you want to drive out here you can dig as many as you want
    Lindsey, email me your address

I have to tell you when they are first dug up the leaves look rugged but they keep blooming and they will survive
    jolana

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know about today, but back in the late 60's early 70's the highway dept. used to have a "contest" on who got an award for the best stand of wild flowers they planted in their district.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Well, if they don't they should, that was a good thing
    Maybe if they had incentives more people would take more pride in their areas