Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weed with bite

Posted by gabriell 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 18:18

I recently pulled weeds from a planter and was shocked to find one covered in tiny barbs.They were in my ring finger and thumb. It reminded me of the time I picked up a prickly pear. I couldn't see them and had no way to stop the stinging. After a while, I remembered reading a hint for removing a splinter was to cover area with Elmer's glue, let dry and peel off.

When I peeled the dry glue there was still a stinging sensation but after about an hour it was gone and I was fine.

Learned two lessons. Wear gloves and look before grabbing weeds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weed with bite

LOL! The story of my life! PJ

o

Yes, I am always surprised when I go to pull a thistle, and it turns out to be a stinging nettle!

Janie

o

Boy isn't that true. And that D**N stinging nettle is the worse. It hurts so bad, and lots of people are allergic to it. And I did some research, and it can even be toxic to dogs.

And know what? There are people out there the purposely grow it because it is an herb that is purported to have healing powers. I have some of the tea that is dried, but I still would never grow it. They actually buy the stuff. Hey, come dig it out of my yard, and you can have it for free. HA!

o

I left a patch in my Hell strip! PJ

o

You are a brave girl PJ. It's too much for me! And it makes me cry when it gets me! Just kidding, but it really hurts me so much that I dig it out whenever I see it.

o

I don't think I'd know a stinging nettle if I saw one.

o

I decided to pull weeds one day before gong to work. I was just happy as a bug pulling away and my hands started stinging, thought it was ants, didn't see any, kept pulling. My hands got worse and worse. They swelled up so much I couldn't go to work!! Gardening is dangerous work.
PJ you are very brave! That stuff will spread like crazy.
Tally HO!

o

hmmmm.... good trick, there beachy! Oh, dear, my hands are too swollen! JDding. I bet it hurt, sorry. Did you take benidril? however you speel it. I swear, someone post a picture so I know what this stuff looks like.

o

Another trick for getting little fine thorns or spines out, such as those of cactus, is to use tape. Just put the sticky part of the tape over the area with the thorns, and pull up. Works pretty well. Tape's also good for getting pet hair and lint off of clothes, but y'all probably already know that.

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here