Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Garden related crafty things and ideas

melvalena
9 years ago

I do a lot of blog snooping. Always looking at what people are doing or making. When I see something I like I save the photo and sometimes the text in my 'projects' folder. One of these day's I might actually get around to making a few! I know... I know... that's what Pintrest is for.. but I don't do facebook and they won't give me an account with out it. Besides I started this folder long before Pintrest got started.

I just came across this one today and thought you guys might really like it. I think it would look darling on a gate or a shed door.

Here is a link that might be useful: hose wreath

Comments (53)

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd really like to see Jolana's dragonflies. I don't think I've seen any like that before.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

There she is!! Carrie, you are very crafty, anyone with your green thumb doesn't have to make crafts
    Gail, I have all of the parts but not a whole dragonfly, lol
    but this is where I first saw them

Here is a link that might be useful: dragonflies

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Love dragonflies...............those are so neat........ I even like the décor on the blades of the fans left inside.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I do too Carrie, this is one of my favorite pages

Here is a link that might be useful: more dragonflies

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OH my gosh!!! what a great idea! Thanks for sharing the links.
    The spoon ones are cute too.

I think Roselee made some things like this a few summers ago. I don't think she used spoons or ceiling fan blades though.

So why haven't you gotten around to making yours yet?

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Oh, so many dragonflies on that site.............and they were all great. I have one that Scott, my nurseryman gave me a few years back and I need to repaint it this year. The critters keep knocking him off his pedestal.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Looks like my handy dandy intuition is working! Came inside between wheel barrow loads of mulch and thought I'd check the Conversations. Lo and behold there are new postings with some 'crafty' ideas.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AhHa.. it took Roselee about 48 hours to get in here. :)

Glad you took that break and came over. Pour yourself a cold something and stay a while.

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

So clever! I love this idea. I could spend all day just looking at these crafts. I never think to check in Conversations... thanks.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

This used to be the fave forum, lol
    Many laughs !!!
    I can also look at these pix all day!

Here is a link that might be useful: more ideas

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Forty eight hours! I better oil my intuition cog!

Jolana, yes we had fun way back when; here and on the Gallery. Oh and thanks, but Bob would say I don't need any 'more ideas'.

Irene, you can get all kind of ideas here for Doug to work on.

This post was edited by roselee on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 23:36

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

He chopped down this old log and, of course, it became a new home for my succulents.

I believe that he and Bob have the same mindset,..... in that they don't need any more ideas.... Silly men!

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

And, his latest... a sign for my newest passion. The "Hoya House' sign. I love it!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Love, love, love the garden art! Those dragonflies and garden hose art projects get my mind going!
    Hi Jolana!

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roselee... you were busy... out in the yard.. that's why your intuition cog wasn't quite up to its usual speed.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

But go ahead and oil it anyway, Roselee, ..........just in case !!!! Love the direction this forum is headed ...........AGAIN !!!

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Hi Pam, hope you are doing well, it's been a couple of months since I have talked to you, I need to oil everything, lol

Those succulents look so good in there and I bet they love it
    Carrie, oxo

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one I saw on the Colleyville Tour:

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I love that!!! Everything about it!!

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are mirrors that look like windows!!! I really liked it.. not something I would normally like though, but in this case it was perfect!
    I think because it was so hidden and secret. It just felt so special.

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Is the green part the mirror? What does the sign say? I can see "no admittance," but what is below that?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sign says "no admittance except for party business"

The green "door" part is painted on the fence. A door knob is in the center.
    One either side of the door are framed, round mirrors with black grids. They look like windows with window boxes filled with flowers under them.
    I'm not sure what the black grids on the mirrors were made from.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Okay, now I get the idea of the green door. What a cute idea for a garden. Kinda' like going down the 'rabbit hole' ... maybe ... :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Green Door ...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I had no idea what this song was about when I heard it way back then ... lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

um hmm, suure, lol I had a friend that was "in the know" LOL

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have no idea what you guys are talking about! :)

I'm very familiar with music of that era but don't think I've ever heard that song!

please clue me in.. what's behind the green door? :)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I was the image of innocence having been raised in the sheltering arms of the church and believed that the world was just one big church picnic! Truly ... back then anyway :-)

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Gail, click on Ragna's link. I think it is the song
    I believe you....back then, lol

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh. I did click and listened to the song.. still not sure what it is you guys think the song is about or what was behind the green door! :)

or what it has to do with a hobbit house painted on a fence. LOL!

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Our imaginations were probably worse than reality, whatever that was

Here is a link that might be useful: green door suppositions

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Jolana, thanks for the link to the 'green door suppositions'. There's certainly lots of interesting green door stuff!

Gail, for me opening the green door is like answering a dare to enter a magical land, which is what entering any garden, woods, sea scape. or prairie is -- simply opening up and enjoying the magic of everything that is growing and glowing there ... :-)

Here's a neat poem I came across today:

What Can I Say

What can I say that I have not said before?
    So I'll say it again.
    The leaf has a song in it.
    Stone is the face of patience.
    Inside the river there is an unfinishable story
    and you are somewhere in it
    and it will never end until all ends.

Take your busy heart to the art museum and the
    chamber of commerce
    but take it also to the forest.
    The song you heard singing in the leaf when you
    were a child
    is singing still.
    I am of years lived, so far, seventy-four,
    and the leaf is singing still.

~ Mary Oliver ~

(Swan)

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All very interesting!

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Mel, I see the fascination with the green door and just stumbling upon it. What a fun discovery.. The saying on the door is precious. I might have to steal the idea. DH will be sooo thrilled with a new project, HA! And, I think some mirrors in the yard would be lovely, too. :-))

This post was edited by sunnysa on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 13:45

• Charlie
    9 years ago

I am building a new shed that will be 12' X 12' on a concrete pad. It will have a window on the north side and a window on each side of the door facing west. It will be covered in siding to match the house. Under each window I plan to build a shelf to allow me to place plants during the winter. It will be insulated and the walls vovered with pegboard to allow easy hanging. Any ideas on how to make this crafty and homey?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Charlie, I will post some photos of a friend's garden shed later today.

Sunny, this is the first use of mirrors outdoors that I felt comfortable with. I'm always uneasy with the use of glass or mirrors out in the yard -- 1. they get dirty and I don't want to constantly clean them, and

1. storms.. hail.. I don't want to have to clean up broken glass. :)

But this particular spot was so sheltered and hidden that mirrors seemed perfectly safe there. And since they weren't used as 'mirrors' but more as window glass and it was so shaded I wouldn't be constantly trying to keep them sparkling clean.
    I have such a spot I could do something like that. However it isn't that secluded and can be seen from our back porch --Hubby has nixed the 'hobbit house' painted door. Hmmm.

I'm going to give this a lot more thought .. there might be a way to do this.. to make the 'door' part more faded and worn...so it doesn't stand out so much but is still there if you are up close. From a distance it wouldn't catch your eye..
    Yes... I'm going to brain storm on this some more.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a garden shed that belongs to friends of mine. This is how it looks during late spring until he brings his tender plants inside for the winter. Its on the west side of the house, doors facing the south.

inside view:

side view, looking towards the gate to the front yard:

here's the view from sitting inside. Its where he drinks his coffee in the mornings.

• Charlie
    9 years ago

Melvalena - For some reason I see no pictures?

• Charlie
    9 years ago

Melvalena - For some reason I see no pictures?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's odd. I see them. Perhaps you should close your browser and re open?

Let me know if you still don't see them and I'll figure out some other way to get them to you.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

They came through very clearly for me as well. Nice shed, but an even better "view" ..................LOL>

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One of these days I'll get around to posting the rest of the photos of their place. They had a private garden tour last Saturday. It was lovely.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I love that, I could have coffee there and enjoy it very much
    Thanks

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Me too! I love the paver walkways so much! There is just so much to see!

• beachplant
    9 years ago

I made mine from an old broken chair, paint, wire and an old blind.
    Tally Ho!

Here is a link that might be useful: dragonfly

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Tally, that is so pretty!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Gail, I love that shed and all the views in and from it! Please -- more, more ...

Tally, that dragon fly is as crafty as you are! Love it!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Concerning "The Green Door" -- if you dare to turn the knob and enter you might can hitch a ride on the "Patty Wagon" .... :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Patty Wagon ...

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beachplant I like your dragon fly... and roselee I'll post more photos when I get some time to do it.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Patty looks so cute in the Patty wagon, lol
    Her dogs are like ours, one rides on the golf cart with me and the other two run along side it, LOL

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I love all the garden art here! I had no idea this forum was ever very active. But when I first started posting on gardenweb, I didn't have a lot of time to browse the forums.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH