Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justintx_gw

Is it a sin .............................

justintx
16 years ago

to NOT tell your neighbor (who likes hummingbirds, too) that you have them coming to your feeders?

Am I a 'hummer hoarder'?

J.D.

Comments (43)

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Do not tell your neighbor!!! Its best they just don't know.. if they know already and you tell..well that's just poor manners.

(unless you don't like 'em...)

• necia
    16 years ago

Well, I personally have NEVER seen anything about coveting hummingbirds mentioned in the Bible!

Necia

• carrie751
    16 years ago

There you go again, JD, lording it over those of us who do NOT have hummers as yet. I am personally going to drive out to your neighbors and tell him. Then, together, we are going to put up signs for the hummers telling them where our houses are.

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I must confess, I was a little surprised at myself for even thinking about keeping quiet. I know the neighbor doesn't have his feeders up yet, so, why share?!?!
    ; - )

J.D.
    p.s. I'll put in a good word for you Carrie.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Well, whatever you are doing isn't working, JD, I still do NOT have hummers !!!

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

I would say no, however if you find yourself 'sweetening the pot' (making your mix extra sweet) to keep them in your yard-that might be wrong;)

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

'sweetening the pot'

hmmmmmmmm.....
    I hadn't thought of that one. (devious grin)

Carrie - I suppose telling you my hummers were feeding on the salvia YOU gave me would be rubbing it in just a little much, huh?
    ; - )
    J.D.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

You could say that, JD!!! And to think, I just enabled you a bit more -------

• denisew
    16 years ago

Well, if they haven't noticed that you already have your feeders up by now, then they just aren't very observant, are they? They're just missing out on all the hummer fun.

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

'sweetening the pot', don't ask me how I know about this (devious grin back at cha:)

Actually I had a neighbor that made her's extra sweet, and when it was gone, the hummers made the round at my place. I refuse to lower myself to that level! Actually, I know its not healthy AND sugar costs money-don't cha know!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Okay, JD, drumroll please -------I have hummers, and not at the feeders, but on the pink salvia. Now, when the number gets fewer and fewer at your house ---- you will know where they are !!!!!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

JD, you don't have to pout just because I have hummers !!!!

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

LOL, I laughed so hard my side hurts

Funny

Barb

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm sorry, I've been outside beating the hummers off of me. What were you saying?
    ; - )
    J.D.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Yeah, right !!!! You know where they are ......

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

ya'll are bbbbbaaaaaaddddd! :)

• sam_mocotx
    16 years ago

HeeHee! Needed a laugh. Send some of those hummer straight down 45 to me. I haven't seen one yet!(: Though I thought I heard one.

Sam

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Sam,

wear a pink or red shirt while working outside...you'll see one I promise!!

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I usually just hold my index finger out horizontal for a perch and whistle.
    J.D.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Stop it right now JD!!!!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

That's okay, Mel, I think the devil made him do it !!!
    But have you seen how long JD's nose has gotten lately???

• melvalena
    16 years ago

yeah....
    I bet he doesn't show up at any of the plant swaps because of it!!!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

He's hiding again, Mel --- he always does this when he can't think of anything to say......

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, my feelings are hurt. Ya'll act like you don't believe me!
    J.D.

• melvalena
    16 years ago
  • carrie751
    16 years ago

Awaaaaa!!!!

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think me, the hummers and my whooping crane are just going to move to the Oklahoma GW. I know THEY'LL believe me!
    ; - )
    J.D.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

OH You poor thing!!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

He must have headed to Oklahoma, Mel, did not see him at the plant swap today !!

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I COMPLETELY forgot about the swap - but I couldn't have gone anyway. My neigbors lost their fence during the big storm the other night. I've been setting posts all day. (while swatting away hummers, of course)
    I have a bunch of stuff I needed to get rid of ..........er, uh, I mean, swap. I have red yucca out my ears, brugs from my own cuttings, etc.

oh, and I haven't done my taxes yet either.
    : - O
    J.D.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Better make the swap in Denton on the 26th then, JD.

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll write that one down!
    Is it on the 'Exchange' pages?

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Yes, it is, JD. This will be it's first year, and I want to thank Rebecca for starting it. I think she has posted a map for the location. It will be so much closer for us.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

JD, I bet you're really aching and sore today huh?

I'll be making the Denton Swap too. Will post a list once I get everything labeled. I still have some beds I haven't gotten to yet this spring.

I think we need to stop providing JD with hummer plants!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

I can cease and desist, Mel, if you can ----
    He is lording over us a "bit", wouldn't you say? And I keep wondering why "bossjim" hasn't come to our defense?!!

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

I thought you ladies were holding your own pretty good. Besides I know J.D. won't go to the swap because just one more plant and he'll have to park on the street! The driveway is still his largest flowerbed.
    Jim

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, just one more plant, and I'll be in the dog house - a chihuahua's doghouse.
    ; - )
    J.D.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Boy, I want a picture of that !!!!!

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Ok.. maybe we should give him all the left over plants at the Denton Swap?

Who's gonna distract him while Carrie and I sneak them in his truck?

Back up plan if he doesn't show up:
    We'll just drop them off at his house in the middle of the night.

OH I had a friend stop by today and while we were sitting in my living room I watched 3 hummers on one of my feeders on the front porch. I guess I should spend more time sitting in my living room instead of sitting here at the computer!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Yeah, Mel, my hummers aren't as well trained as JD's - they have not learned how to knock on the window to get my attention as yet.

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OH, CARRRIE! I almost forgot to leave the window open for them to come to roost for the night! Thanks for reminding me.
    J.D.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Would you post pics of their littl roost, JD? I need some ideas on how to build one.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

JD the Hummer Hoarder!!

I think we have your name tag ready!