Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justintx_gw

1st Hummer - Denton Co - Justin

justintx
14 years ago

Now, my daughter saw it yesterday morning - just so ya'll know I'm not "funnin" ya. I might tell ya'll a "windy" but not DD!!

J.D.

Comments (18)

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I was thinking yesterday that of course JD would be the first to spot one.

I thought I saw the tail end of one the other day.. but I couldn't be sure so I'm not counting it as my first one.

Let us know you see one JD!

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Hey, JD, one buzzed me yesterday when I got too close to the feeder, but I SAW one this morning........yeah !!

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I was just out checking on the fence progress...I swear I heard one!! I didn't see it though. :(

I'll be watching for them now that you two have had actual sightings at your places.

I noticed yesterday have a few blooms on my autumn sage!!
    Neighbor around the corner has a full sun established one with lots of blooms... I have a feeling today is THE DAY!

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been watching a pair outside my kitchen window this a.m.

Mel-just a matter of time before they show up over there. Seems like the last few years, the Weatherford folks see them first. Maybe they just haven't reported in. This cold winter we just came out of probably held them back - just like it has these plants opening up.

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I've been watching, but with all the fence activity and the compressor turning off and on, they may not want to visit today. :(

• melvalena
    14 years ago

Nothing to report today. :( Hubby told me tonight he thinks our new fence is too high and they can't find their way over it. I think he's nuts.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

They'll find their way there soon, Mel.....still at my house..

• melvalena
    14 years ago

Isn't this morning glorious? I don't know what it is, but I feel like we've turned the corner.

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Saw one last weekend on the cross vine! Been putting in flowers as fast as possible.
    Tally HO!

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

We saw our first hummer this afternoon flirting with my "Scarlet O'Hara" salvia greggii!!! Finally put up the feeders after that!

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I 'heard' one again this evening.. but of course I wasn't really paying attention at that moment and it was gone before I could look for it. :( Still haven't actually seen one yet.

Amy, I'm so glad you got those feeders out!

Beachplant, thanks for the report that more are on the way up here. :)

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

'Stealth hummers', mel?????
    ;-)

• melvalena
    14 years ago

nah, JD...
    its: old lady... with too many thoughts in her head walking out onto the back porch
    while looking down for the cigarettes and lighter!
    By they time my brain registers what that sound was...the hummer is long gone. :)

I'm going to have to re train myself to look at the feeders before I step outside. (and keep my stuff in my pocket so I'm not distracted looking for it)

• melvalena
    14 years ago

There's been a hummer at my house!! I didn't see it because I was napping. Hubby saw it, and he wouldn't lie to me about this.

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

yippee!

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I just saw with my own eyes my first hummer of the year.
    (Hubby has seen them the last few weeks)
    Family was over here helping us install the new umbrella on the back porch and my daughter told me to hold still and look to my right. I knew instantly what she was talking about because one of the feeders was to my right. I turned and we made eye contact. He went to the feeder but I guess he could feel every one's excitement and it scared him off. He looked really ragged. All grey, no color at all but we've had a steady rain going for almost 2 days now... and its quite a bit cooler then its been.
    I'm sure he went on to one of the other feeders I have out. I'm so glad I refreshed them this morning.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I saw my first ruby-throated hummer yesterday, and she was feeding on the weigela here by my bay window. Stayed there a long time, for my enjoyment I am certain, and the red was as vibrant as I have ever seen. What a beauty of a bird this little one is.

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I rarely see a ruby-throat over here until the fall migration. All black-chinned. Not a huge amount of activity right now, in any event.