Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindseyrose_gw

Does anyone else think...

lindseyrose
17 years ago

...that some of the "free plants" offers on places like Freecycle and Craigslist (not so much here) are simply ludicrous? Today I saw more than one for "free pine trees!" One said, "I have two huge pine trees in my front yard. If you would like to come and either dig them up to replant or cut down for wood please contact me." DIG THEM UP, two "huge" pine trees?!? LOL The ads, instead of offering free plants, should say, "Please, come work for me for free. Please come do all the damn hard work so I'll have a clean slate and I can then plant whatever I want without having to break out a shovel or backhoe. And then, because I appreciate your back-breaking labor so much, I will give you that ratty, gnarly 25 year old ligistrum to keep for your VERY OWN! I won't help you plant it, though." ;) LOL

Comments (13)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Yeah, they are for real, they want someone to do the work for free. The ones that I see are so big, they would never survive, even if I could get them out of the ground, lol
    How 'bout the people that say they will sell small river rock that you have to clean out of their flowerbeds bucket up and haul, lol
    There are many a scam on those sites

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

I have free "sod" if anyone would like to come scrape the front yard for me. There isn't any actual "grass" in it, but still...

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I have FREE bermuda grass for the digging ----ROFLMAO !!!
    Any takers?????

• denisew
    17 years ago

That is so funny! I can't believe people would be gullible enough to want to come cut down someone else's tree!

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Hey, it is worth a shot.....ya never know. Just 'cause nobody wanted all my weeds, doesn't mean someone might not be willing to take other stuff. (grin)

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

If your ever looking for pets on there, double check what heading your under. Personals and pets button look the same when your in a hurry. That single free white neutered male is NOT a cat, repeat NOT a cat.

=)

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

I didn't post in Craigslist (who is Craig, anyway?), but I posted "free bamboo, you dig with your shovel", and got 5 people that actually showed up. One came from Oklahoma City.

I've done that twice so far, and it's kept the bamboo at bay.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I say go for it!!! LOL! It takes all kinds!!! People actually think you can successfully transplant those big plants/trees. I've heard people say it without hesitation.
    Who is craig?LOL!Dunno. Clever with the bamboo control there!
    I'm also amazed at what people will take. I've filled box after box of what I consider junk out by the curb and it's vanished no problem. I saw a lady with a delapatated table missing 2 of it's legs she had collected in the back of her truck. Go figure! PJ

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

That table will probably show up over on the "Garden Junk" forum as something really nice.
    Jim

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

she probably refinished it,cut it in half and now has a lovely 1/2 table thingie(name?) in her foyer.
    I don't have the time for all that now but I keep it in mind.PJ

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Craig was a dude who couldn't find an apartment in New York, so he started Craigslist to list apartments in New York. Really, I'm not making this up. It took off from there.
    I laugh at those ads too. I saw the one for the pine trees. Some I can actually see, like the guy with the big sago palm. But only if you had a piece of machinery to dig them up with. I always figured that they got the bid from their yard guy and had a heart attack. I love the ones "free firewood"!! Just cut down this 200 foot tall tree, that, oh, by the way, is under the power lines...
    Tally HO!

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

I wonder if they get in trouble for luring people to their death. Oops, I better do cardiac testing before they dig the bamboo.

• lindseyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wonder if I should post an add for free sticks. "Please bring your own long-reaching tree trimmer." hahaha! (I just noticed one of my neighbor's trees is really hanging over our yard a lot more than I realized.)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths