Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

Plant swap at Carol's

pjtexgirl
17 years ago

Extraordinarily awesome as always! It seemed like a lot of people were there. We had a hard time trying to figure out how many. Any guesses?

It was great to meet faces to go with names and to see people I really missed a whole lot.

The lovely new plants were an extra bennie.

Can't wait for the fall swap! PJ

Comments (13)

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

My resolution is to have something to trade by fall!

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I had a great time and came home with lots of neat plants.Carole is an excellent hostess and her husband Danny is such a sweetie!
    What a nice bunch people. Everyone was really friendly. I met a lot of garden webbers I hadn't met before and there were a lot of new faces that I didn't get to meet. Next time we need to do a stand up & introduce yourself, net name & real name.
    The food was good & plentiful & I ate too much! I think my favorites were the cinamin rolls & strawberry/creme chz pie. All the salads & veggies & dips were delicious.
    Aren't we lucky to be a part of such a neat group of gardeners! I want to thank all the gardeners that brought all the plants that I will be planting tomorrow afternoon.
    Those of you that didn't make it...you missed a great swap.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Thanks for coming. It was such a pretty day and I really enjoyed seeing you guys again.

Bev, that apron is so nice. I am so proud of it. Thanks

Julie, Jolana and I were just saying how we wish you could've come.

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

Carolann Sweetpea and Jolana .. um... (I just read the ***collar post*** ) that is so nice to hear! I just never feel like I have much to give, but now that I'm working in a nursery maybe that will change.

Do you have any upright verbena? It's actually Brazillian verbena, or Verbena bonariensis. I had never heard of or seen it, but it is the butterfly MAGNET where I work and even people I would not expect to like it, do. It can get up to 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide, but it has an appealing, airy appearance. I think I can grow it from seed, once it goes to seed that is.

What else do you think might be good? Stupid question, I know, but I need tips.

Here is a link that might be useful: upright verbena pics

• melvalena
    16 years ago

I've had one for about 2 - 3 years. Its never self seeded. (yet anyway).
    But I didn't plant it in a very good spot. It tends to lean and go every which way. I just dug it up, and moved it to a baby rose bush.

I've read that you should plant it next to/in rose bushes for the extra support and it will look good growing up and flowering through the rose bush. (I bet it would look great growing up through a yellow rose bush! Purple and yellow flowers together)
    I cut it back when I moved it. I stuck the cuttings in pots and so far only one has turned black and died. The other stems are putting out new leaves!

Time will tell if these actually root and live to be planted in the ground.

I'd love to hear how your seed growing goes. I always forget to harvest the seeds on mine.

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Julie, what a cool plant. I love anything that attracts butterflies. You don't have to worry about what to bring, whatever you want to bring is fine.

Some of us are talking about starting plants for the fall swap. Rooting cuttings of roses and other plants. Sedums are easy to root and everyone likes sedums.

Melvalena, I'd love to see a picture of the verbena growing and blooming inside the rose bush. That sounds just gorgeous.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

If I ever get that itty-bitty rose to grow up I'll post pictures it!

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

Okay... sedums. :)

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Anything that is perennial and hardy would be good to bring.
    Salvias!!
    There are so many different kinds and most root pretty easily or can be grown from seed.

Or start some winter annuals from seed? Lots of people are putting those in about that time.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Plants, lol
    PPB, it was so much fun and the weather was good, the people were great

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

errrrr... henbit?

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's my vote! LOL! PJ

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Julie, you could start propagating something. Roses, vines and any perennials. You could also start some seeds. There's plenty of time for this. I also check out the sales racks at Lowes. I bought some big healthy plants last year to stick in the Round Robin game.

You can also bring old garden magazines, books, flower pots and Bev even made garden aprons if you can sew.