Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
little_dani

It was only a little possum!

little_dani
16 years ago

I must be living a charmed life. Maybe that isn't the right word..........

Today was a day from hell. Just awful. The whole day was bad.

This evening, I have decided that I must have really offended somebody. Maybe somebody put a hex on me.

I kept hearing a noise, like one of the cats playing in the office. They were outside, however, so I decided it must be a mouse. But it was LOUD, and moving things around more than a mouse would or could....................

The noises were coming from one of the built-in drawers. I brought in the cats. Got Goofy the Yellow Tom up close to the situation, he jumped straight up and ran from the room. That was not good.

Got Fluffy, got pretty much the same reaction. Well, I figured it must be a snake. They would have been all over a mouse, or even a rat.

Bravely, I reached out and pulled the bottom drawer, where the noises were coming from. Just opened it a crack. A NOSE! There was a pale, long, thin nose! ACK!!!

I woke DH, with the improbable story that there was a possum in my office! He didn't believe me! Can you imagine that?

Well, he came and looked, and it was a possum; a young possum. DH armed himself, and protected himself with gloves. While he was making those preparations, the possum escaped from that drawer. DH opened that drawer, and he was not there! He was in the next drawer up, however.

We have looked, there is no hole that he could have come in through. It is a mystery. I will not sleep, for worrying that his brother, or worse, his DADDY might come in next!

DH dispatched him with a shovel. He needs to wash it in the morning, before he goes to work. I need to stay in the house tomorrow. Maybe even stay in the bed, with the covers pulled up over my head.

Janie

Comments (10)

• Dena Walters
    16 years ago

ROFL!! Janie, it could have been WORSE...It could have been a SNAKE!!..EWWWW..I would have died right there on the spot and moved into a hotel had it been a snake...
    Opossums I can deal with..heck, spiders, lizards, toads, roaches....I CAN deal with...a SNAKE???...shoot me now..LOL
    Your DH was very smart and dealt w/the situation..He prob. snuck in when the door was cracked...
    Sleep Great Tonight...No More Creeking..LOL
    You haven't posted much lately, Janie have you???..
    I've missed your posts if you had..and Ive missed hearing from you!
    Dena

• justintx
    16 years ago

Janie,
    Glad the DH used a "tool". LOL I had a similar incident - used a .22 pistol (rat shot) - my ears are STILL ringing!!!

J.D.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Janie, my heart would've been pounding so hard while reaching to pull the drawer open. Freaky that you don't know how it got in. Glad it's out and more glad it didn't disappear after DH got up to get it out, LOL
    You would've never lived that down
    jolana

• little_dani
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Once I was cleaning out a little 'princess dresser' that I wanted to refinish. I pulled the bottom drawer out and 2 HUGE RATS were staring at me!

Shrieking, I demanded that DH rescue me and slay the beasts. Imagine my surprise and chagrin when he pulled the drawer open and there were 2 tiny little mice, still sitting in the same position- with their little family of mousettes.

I have never lived that one down!- LOL!

Janie

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

Janie both of you stories are just too funny! HA!

And Dena I agree about the snake thing. I can take most any animal/insect, but snakes freak me out! I had snakes get in my house on three occasions. Once I found a ribbon snake in my bathroom. DH and neighbor took care of it.

Then my nephew let a ribbon snake get in the living room. DB chased him back outside while nephew held the door open.

Then one day my cleaning lady was here and noticed all of the cats surrounding "something". Turned out to be a dead garter snake that they had tormented to death! Glad she found it and not me.

They are building across the road from us and displacing lots of wildlife including lots of snakes, both poisonous and non poisonous. Last fall after having two large coral snakes up near the front door, my DH got me a pump 410 with snake shot. So far we have only had to use it once.

A friend here in town got in bed one night and started to fluff up her pillow. Imagine her surprise when under her pillow a large bull snake was coiled up. Her DH took care of it.

Sorry snake lovers, but a snake in my yard needs to slither back across the street and stay there.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Oh, Janie, with the size of the possums here at my house, I really hope one this size does not get in your house. I have one that stands on his hind legs and drinks our of the bird bath.

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Leave it to Janie to give us some excitement. LOL

Janie, if the drawers are built-in then you may have a space on the top in the back of the chest.

When the kids were young we bought some land in the country and built a house. The washer was in the garage and one day I was pulling out my clothes from the washer and I felt something real furry. I thought to myself "I don't remember washing my fuzzy houseshoes".

I took it out of the washer and it was a huge rat. He was dead and very clean but it took me a long time to want to wash clothes out there again.

• bo_berrin
    16 years ago

Oh, CARRIE! I've got some possum stories of my own, but yours just made my jaw drop! That's one BIG possum. Are you sure it's not just a really ugly dog? LOL

Janie, your stories made me laugh out loud--what a great way to start my day. Thanks!

• rumbum
    16 years ago

LOL! The story of the very clean dead rat that was definately not fuzzy houseshoes... that one just made me laugh out loud!

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Sometimes little two-leggeds, think it is fun to pull pranks on bigger two-leggeds.

You probably don't wanna see the momma possum though. They tend to frown on such kidnappings of their little ones.