Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev__

high humidity and allergies....

Bev__
16 years ago

This weather is making my sinuses act up terribly. My face & eyeballs even hurt!

I take Zyrtex 2 times a day year around for allergies and it usually keeps me feeling OK. Today I was miserable and took an extra one so I could get some outside chores done....it made me so sleepy all I wanted to do was sleep.

Hope tomorrow is better.

I think carol has allergy problems too, wonder how she's doing? How about the rest of you allergy sufferers...how are you doing?

Comments (14)

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

Sorry about your allergies, Bev. You might try a different type for those over-the-top days. Have you tried Allegra? That's what I take sometimes.

I find I just have trouble breathing altogether when the humidity is 99%. Where are your gills when you need them?!?

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Bev, get better, you've been sick too long

Allergies are the pits

• bev1951
    16 years ago

Allergies here too, Dh & I both took Zyrtec for a long time now I take Clariton D. It seems to help but when I go someplace with high humidity nothing seems to help. I sometimes think we build up a tolerance for the meds we take everyday anti-inflammatory, antihistamine, or acid reflux. I used to hate to take pills, daily birthcontrol was the pits. Now counting vitamins it's 11. The alternative is pretty horrid so I'll just take them & function. Hope you start feeling better soon. Maybe alternating the Zyrtec with Allegra or something similar would help. bev

• Bev__
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've previously tried all the formentioned allery meds plus singular & a presciption nose spray & a prescription inhaler of stuff....zyrtecs been the best.

Bev1951...I'm actually a Bev 1950!
    I take meds for my heart, blood pressure (2), bones, cholestral, hormones, restless legs, anxiety, sleep, arthritis, pain(2) & allergies. Plus 3 calciums, glucosamine, & a few other over the counter vitamins. With all them you'd think I wouldn't need food!

I worked outside some today...not a good idea, now I'm more miserable. This humidity has got to go away soon. My dehumidifier takes 3-4 gal out of the house daily and I have my A/C at 75.

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

I have alleries pretty bad lately too. This seems to be the worse year for allergies and sinus.

I take tylenol severe allergy and sinus. I also take other things and sometimes mix it up.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I've never tried one, but you might consider using a neti pot. A neti pot is basically a device to deliver saline solution to wash out the sinuses and nasal cavities. I have never used one myself, because I haven't really needed to, but I've heard they really work wonders. It looks very uncomfortable to do, but it might be worth a try.

Sally

Here is a link that might be useful: Search result for neti pots

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Bev, I feel for you. My worst allergies are in Jan. and Feb. due to cedar. A few years ago, I had sinus tumors (due to allergies) and surgery (after 4 years of it), and I feel a whole lot better now. Didn't even know I had allergies before that because no allergens could get in. I was just exhausted all the time. Never knew I was hardly breathing, as it happened gradually. I'd be willing bet the neti pot helps. After the surgery I had to use Afrin, then follow with a saline rinse (the applicator was just like afrin), then a nasal steroid. Had to do this for several months until I was healed. But, I can see how using a neti pot as a precautionary measure could do some good (if you're brave enough).

Zyrtec D, is what I take and for me it works better than Allegra. My mom likes Allegra over Zyrtec. I occasionally use a store bought saline, just to get some relief. Have you tried that yet? And don't you think it is strange that humidity makes it worse? Here it's usually rain that gets me going. The humidity doesn't seem to be having a big effect on me. You'd think rain/humidity would stick all the pollen or whatever down. I'm not allergic to mold, according to my allergist, so that can't be it.

Hope you feel better soon! Oh, and I eat local honey and all that bit. Don't know if it helps but it tastes good!

• bev1951
    16 years ago

Bev, isn't getting older a real pain in the a*% !! Among other places. We moved to Lubbock because of the dryness here, humidity is good for the skin but the rest of me doesn't do well. We don't turn the A/C on unless we have company, I get cold if the temps drop below 80, in the winter we keep the thermostat at 68 & I wear long johns & sweaters. Winter isn't so bad here & hot flashes can keep me warm all day. I hope your allergies clear up soon, it makes life miserable. bev

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

I have suffered from allergies all my life...this past Jan I went and had the allergy testing done and "Surprise" I was allergic to EVERYTHING they tested me for! - lol
    So now I am doing the allergy shots and this he GREATLY improved my symptoms. I am exstreamly allergic to animals - so I still have symptoms in those invorments and I take either Allegra or Claritin D when I need a little extra boost. They would not even test me for cats - because I told them that was typically my worst reaction and they were afraid testing might make me sick or a major reaction.
    I took the shots from my doctor thru the adjustment period where they make you stay there 15 mins to monitor your sight reactions - BUT NOW I give myself the shots at home - the needle is SO SMALL there is not hurt or anything.

I was truley a LIFE ALTERING change switching to this!
    {{gwi:1311038}}

~Angie~

• denisew
    16 years ago

All I have to say when I look at that picture is, "OUCH!" My neice is allergic to a lot of things too - grass, dairy products, nuts, etc. When we visited my husband's family at Thanksgiving, I made a sweet potato casserole that had eggs, canned milk, brown sugar, cinnamon and a crunch topping made with pecans and butter and cornflakes. I reserved a small portion of the sweet potatoes and made hers without all the stuff she is allergic to and used the soy milk instead. She enjoyed it and ate it up. Then when she was over at her Granny's she saw the soy milk in the refrigerator, she shreiked at how horrible the stuff is. My husband laughed and told her that is what we used in her sweet potatoes. We had a good chuckle over that.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I'm lucky in that I don't think I have allergies, except maybe to dust. I do much worse in a dry environment. I have nose bleeds all winter when the air is dry. It's strange, too, because I was born in Colorado. The last time I went to Colorado the air was so dry I was miserable. I'm all the time using lotion, chapstick (well, I may have to rethink that one now, see the Mother's day thread), eye drops for dry eyes, etc.. I've gotten to where I love humid weather, except when it's hot.

Sally

• Dena Walters
    16 years ago

I buy the Wal-Mart kind, the chlor tabs, there are 100 in there for about $3.00. I do have to take 2 in the morning and 2 at nite..but it seems to control mine most of the time..occasionally I'll take one during the day if I'm having a sneezing fit..but thats not often..
    Sinus's are the worst..man can they make you feel miserable...
    Get Well and Take care of Yourself
    Dena

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Today has been horrible for me. The pollen count was high and tomorrow it says it will be higher.

Does Zyrtec make you sleepy?

So many meds. make me sleepy. I hate the 24 hour pills because they usually play out before the 24 hours is up and I have to wait a few hours before I can take some more.

Angie, I took shots several years ago and was going to take them last year but I hate to drive to the doctors to get a shot each time and I am too much of a wuss to give myself one. That picture looks painful.

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

I've used a neti pot and they work great! Once you get over your initial fear, there ain't nothin' to it.

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!