Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiepaintbrush

Wildflowers

prairiepaintbrush
16 years ago

I had a wonderful wildfower prowl in Benbrook yesterday. The native foxglove, which aren't foxgloves at all, are the best I've ever seen! They are quite prolific, whereas they usually hide on limstone hillocks out of main view.

I put my feet in a stream running over the road and it was wonderful! I can see why plants prefer rainwater, it's so soft.

I think I saw a skeleton plant flower too, which I've never seen before.

Ayund, I found a weird 3 ft. tall bluebonnet plant! It hasn't bloomed yet, so I don't know what the bloom is like, but the leaves look exactly like a bluebonnet! The flowers must be very small, or I think I would have noticed it before.

Lastly, I think I had the Sherrif called on me, because I was perusing plants on a dead end road, beside a nice place with lots of acreage, a stone house, and pretty, new deer fencing. Sheriff came driving up right when I was looking dowan at a patch of native phlox, looking very intent, serious and non-dangerous. Which I was. He went up to the house and chatted with the owner as I drove off. Whatever. People think they own the roads, and alas, they do not. Not yet, anyway.

Comments (15)

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

That sounds like fun, did you get any pics ?

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Isn't it fun to go out and see plants growing along side the road.
    I love to do things like that.
    You should've looked up PJ. That's right up her alley and she lives in Benbrook.

Last spring my DH and I went to Arkansas and drove down country roads and saw flowers I didn't know existed. There were lots of them and it was very far from any towns or people.

We got starts of some of the plants and planted them back home. They grew and spread and one of them is blooming now.

Now when we look at them we remember our fun trip.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I was out looking at wildflowers yesterday too! I actually tried to go out to Lake Benbrook only to find a toll booth.I'm a bit miffed the city wants me to pay to see what my taxes all ready paid for once. (GRRRR)
    The flowers were just spectacular tho! PJ

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

What? You have to pay to see the wildflowers?

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Dally, The lake and the woods around it too. How sad is that? Sheesh. PJ

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

OOOppps! PJ

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

PJ, what's a Dally?

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

I know what a dilly is, are they related? LOL

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Second cousins by marriage. Shotgun wedding all the way...LOL!PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

PJ, didn't you know that all your tax dollars go to schools and hospitals? We have 12 million illegal immigrants to support, so if you want any other services for yourself, that is "extra" taxes, in the form of access or usage fees.

The national park service has announced increasing fees each of the next 3 years, for visitors.

By the way, I calcualted all of the "hidden" taxes, in addition to all the "up front" taxes that we all pay, in many forms, and the American taxpayer, is now paying 52% of their gross income in some form of taxes, whether that is a "license", "fee", or special added tax, such as excise taxes.

Anyone who thinks we aren't taxed as much as England, better be prepared to be shocked. We might not be quite there yet, but we are moving ever closer.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Well... I think the military and politicians are pocketing more than their fair share as they have for all of history.
    As for illegal aliens... it's against my religion to be anything but hospitible to widows,the sick,orphans and aliens,"illegal" or not. Then again, I have a lot of wierd beliefs. For example, I believe churches should supply their members with low cost health insurance AND look to all the needs of the poor.Not our government. I know...not likely to happen soon. PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Churches are in the real estate business....in case you didn't know.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

*sigh* I did. I love my church. They've been very generous.However, I think they could do more and that they have the ability and the positive people to do it. *sigh again* PJ

• prairiepaintbrush
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jolana, I need to figure out how to hook this camera up to my parents' computer and then I will have pictures. But no, I didn't take any.

Carol, that sounds like a wonderful trip. My favorite thing is puttering around looking at wild flowers.

PJ, I spent much of my youth at Benbrook lake and there wasn't a guard booth and locked gate then. I don't know why they have to lock it during off season. If there isn't anyone there to take money, why can't they let you in? Idjuts.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

They're just being mean! Boo hoo! PJ