Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Someone messed with our sprinkler heads!

denisew
16 years ago

I was so glad I looked out front last night when our sprinkler system came on in the front. Someone had purposely turned one of the sprinkler heads by the street to shoot out into the street. Thank goodness my husband's truck was parked there so it didn't make it all the way out. We were outside last night just before 11 pm fixing that thing! My husband said someone had purposely turned it the other way - tight because just a couple months ago, we had gone over all the sprinkler heads and made sure they were pointing the right direction. We have our suspicions who did it and they have a for sale sign in their yard. Their son has been known to play "pranks" on neighbors - knocking on doors and running away, setting off fire-crackers and once I heard him calling someone on his cell phone asking, "Is this the doctor? This is an emergency!" It was a prank call and he was standing outside in front with his friends laughing while he was doing it! These are also the same people who came out to "work in their yard" the day we were taking a tree down. They stood as close as they could to the property line - maybe hoping it might fall on them so they could sue us? I don't know. My husband even asked him to move and he wouldn't. It was very strange. That house had better sell quick because I'm really getting tired of all this nonsense from them.

Comments (11)

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

I hate neighboors like that...when I was a child my dad was installing a wood fence between our house and the nasty neighboor - they woman had the nerve to come out with a waterhose and spray my poor dad the entire time he was working on the fence!
    some people!

• Dena Walters
    16 years ago

Ohhh my!!! Im glad you saw it denise...and scuba..how horrible!! Sheshhh people can really be mean!
    We have had the kids in the neighborhood ring our doorbell ONE time....
    We then opened the door noone there, so we got our big ole' Boxer by the collar and took her outside at which time she raises up on her back legs and just barks and growls and of course slobbers and really does sound like a killer dog...I then told them, next time I would let the dog go and shame on them if I could not get her off of them...
    Never happened again....(to be honest..she probably would have licked them to death..but I dont' let them know that..lol!)
    Dena

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Well now, that's not as bad as having electric powered cars driving down the sidewalk, with a 5 yr old at the wheel, running all over everyone's yard, and breaking off their sprinkler heads, in the process.

Nor is it as bad as having the same thing happen with kids on trikes and bikes.

I finally had to put metal stakes on both sides of my sprinkler heads, plus put reinforcing sleeves around the heads, to try and keep from having to spend $10. and an hour's time, to replace sprinkler heads, every time I turned around.

The disgusting part, is that none of these "upright citizens" would even come up and admit to their destruction, much less offer to pay for the damage.

I am not a fan of the human animal.

• Texasorbust
    16 years ago

Could be worse, the teenagers here ring our doorbell and don't run away! They come in eat everything and practice playing drums and guitars, lol! Hope you get great new neighbors that garden. =D

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Fat chance. There's only 2 people anywhere around me, that even mow their own grass.

It is rare to see 30 somethings, outside their house, unless they are just getting into the car.

Most people in the city, never get out of the house, unless they are going somewhere. Gardening is the farthest thing from their minds.

Guess they are too busy watching commercials on TV.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I saw what could'nt be a kid older than a third grader and his younger friend DRIVING an ATV down the street where there was some traffic. It was in a friend's neighborhood. I had to chant,"not my bussiness" in my head about 500 times. Some parents are so stupid!
    Denisew, your neighbor sounds like a total nincompoop. I mean that. What a dufus!
    I'd have squired that lady right back building that darn fence! I'd have been the mom/kids doing it while taking turns bringing dad a cold beverage! I'd have had a power nozzle on that hose too!!! PJ

• beachplant
    16 years ago

We'll do a group chant "house sell to gardener, house sell to gardener..."
    I'd either have sprayed the neigbor back, or you know me, taken off my clothes and started to shower while she sprayed me. That'd run her off wouldn't it?

The hose works when sprayed on kids too. You know my neighbor problems, well, they were having group sessions (I guess) out in the alley! I "accidently" sprayed them while watering the yard. Then my dear lovely husband went out & took pictures of them. No more alley meetings!
    I guess at least they didn't break them off.
    Put your sprinkler heads on an elbow joint. That will let them flex a little and less prone to being broken off. Elbow joints are pretty cheap too.
    Tally HO!

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, I really hope it does sell to someone who likes to garden. This guy is real proud of all that green lawn and takes care of it, but doesn't ever plant flowers . . . except the impatiens in his mailbox planter in full sun! HA! He has neatly trimmed shrubs (builder bushes) in the front. Their backyard is a blank slate - all grass. I'll join you on that chant, "sell to a gardener, sell to a gardener . . . "

• carrie751
    16 years ago

PJ, it is "your business"!! ATV's are prohibited on those streets. I called the sheriff on some kids out here running down the main street (mainly to keep them from getting killed or maimed by speeders), and they do not do it anymore. I figure if parents aren't going to protect their kids and my property, then it is up to me to do so.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Carrie, I wussed! If it had been my neighborhood I'd have spoken to our resident sheriff(he's always around) but I was reluctant to start trouble in my friend's neighborhood. I'll sneak around the corner and put in an anonymous call next time tho!!! You're right with "Darwinian award" winning parents these poor kids are stuck with, the kids needed someone to had a brain to look out for them.PJ

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, if it isn't the ATV's, it is those darned electric or gas powered scooters! It is against city ordinance for kids under 16 to ride them on the streets here in Allen, yet I see them doing this often. The city says that it is a vehicle powered by gas or electricity and those driving them are required by law to have a license. And, since they are a motor powered vehicle, they cannot be on the sidewalks since those are for pedestrians. And they are seen on sidewalks and in the street - and I don't think any of them are 16 with a license. The problem with calling the police is as soon as you call, they're gone. They can really travel fast around this neighborhood.