Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Check out this pig!

denisew
16 years ago

I was reading the Dallas Morning News yesterday and saw this story about an 11 year old boy felling this giant wild pig! What an incredible adventure for him!

Here is a link that might be useful: DMN Story - Giant Wild Pig

Comments (25)

• justintx
    16 years ago

Quite a story!! Those feral hogs are quite another topic!!
    J.D.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Denise, I read about that on the internet but didn't have time to check it out. It's real and amazing, lol
    Hope we don't ever see any that big around here, LOL

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Think maybe the pic was "doctored" just a bit?????

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Naw, he killed it. Why? Whatcha gonna do with a thousand pounds of tough boar meat? Oh yeah, the all important bragging rights! I'm NOT a vegetarian. I just don't think killing for the sake of killing is right. (off soap box) PJ

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

But when it comes to ferel pigs, they need to be killed. They destroy lots of native land and one that size could really hurt someone if it got mad. That wild pig was ground into a whole lot of sausage. Probably enough to feed their whole town! But, they did send the head to a taxidermist to get it mounted. I don't think I would want to hang it on my wall!

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

You're right Denise. That thing would go through the woods like a bulldozer!
    Jim

• Vulture61
    16 years ago

a pigdozer, then....

Omar

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Hahahaha, Omar

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

A Boardozer!

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

If it is raining again tomorrow, y'all better go run around in it, LOL

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

If it rains tomorrow, I'll be bending rebar in the living room floor! Well, probably not, but I've got to build a trellis for Climbing Pinkie. It's already 4 ft. tall!
    Might as well be caged Jim

• roxann3576
    16 years ago

I am having a really hard time believing this one. Killed a huge hog with a PISTOL? Uh, don't think so, but then I don't have anyone to ask what caliber a 50 ? is but I do know a 30-06 rifle might not take one down with a single shot.

Poor kid, he will have to live with this story his entire life! I am sure this will appear on the DISCOVERY channel where an attempt will be made to authenticate the boar (boar that size? would it be edible anyway).

Yes, I agree feral pigs are way to dangerous and harmful to our land areas so yes, they should be getting controlled, notice I did not say eradicated. With the land areas wildlife getting pushed out these guys are finding that can co-exist with human activity so their natural predators are unable to even the numbers so to say. It is a scary when you are in a small economical gas vehicle and you are travelling over 50 MPH in darkness and come up on one of these large hogs on a highway. You thing oh my gosh what would/could have happened, get weak in the knees.

Roxann

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

About his firearm: "He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50-caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot."

It did take more than one shot to take that pig down, plus a long chase - 3 hours.

• pepa
    16 years ago

It still makes me sad to think that it lived this long, staying out of everyones way until someone got lucky. This kid started killing animals at 5 yrs old. Maybe I'm too soft but it makes me sick to think a kid that young enjoys the thrill of the hunt.

• remuda1
    16 years ago

Heard yesterday evening on the news that he fired 18 shots and hit it nine times. There's now an inquiry because the boar was killed in a *fenced* area. I guess the rules of the "paid hunt" are that the animal must have a reasonable opportunity to escape. Not easy to do when you're behind a fence. I've never cared for the thought of paid hunts, just seems there might be too many opportunities for unscrupulous people to make a living at the expense of captive animals. I have even seen film where a hunt club had a wildcat (it was black, I don't know what kind it was) in a cage and had 6-8 hunters standing around and a pack of dogs. They opened the cage and the dogs attacked and the hunters opened fire. Sickening and thank goodness people went to jail over that one.

I think it IS prudent to reduce numbers of certain animals if their numbers become a danger to motorists or if their numbers are causing overgrazing and ultimately their starvation. I don't know that hogs have reached those levels yet.....

Kristi

• carrie751
    16 years ago

People, at one time, hunted only for food, not to have some poor animal's head hanging from the wall in their house. And, Kristi, I too, believe that the numbers of certain animals should be reduced for their own good, but to hunt a "caged" animal is just plain sick, IMHO.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

By JAY REEVES - Associated Press Writer

BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) State wildlife officials said Wednesday they want to know how the huge hog dubbed "Monster Pig" got into a fenced hunting preserve where it was chased down and shot to death by an 11-year-old boy.

The young hunter is not accused of doing anything illegal, but the head enforcement officer for Alabama's wildlife agency said agents are trying to determine if anyone broke a state law prohibiting the transportation and release of live feral swine.

"There are some questions about where the animal came from, how he got there, how long he'd been there," said Allan Andress, enforcement chief for the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division.

Andress said officials also will review whether the hunt complied with the state's "fair chase" law, which requires that prey at hunting plantations have a reasonable chance of escape.

Eddy Borden, the owner of the spread where the hunt occurred, declined comment on how the hog got into the 150-acre fenced-in area where it was killed last month by Jamison Stone of Pickensville.

Borden said he was getting tired of questions about the hog, which Jamison's father said weighed 1,051 pounds and measured 9 feet, 4 inches from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. The kill drew international attention.

"I didn't ask for the publicity. I just want it to all go away," said Borden, whose Lost Creek Plantation is located in east Alabama.

Keith O'Neal, one of the guides who accompanied Jamison and father Mike Stone on the paid hunt, said he was unsure if the super swine was placed in the enclosure or grew up it.

Jamison was hunting with his father and the guides on May 3 when he killed the giant pig. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50-caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.
    Mike Stone said neither he nor his son did anything wrong.

"It's an 11-year-old boy who went hunting," said Mike Stone. "He was enjoying all the attention at first, but it's all getting old."

Andress said there is nothing illegal about a child hunting in Alabama.

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! I didn't know it was a canned hunt. I hate those situations. I have seen fenced areas in Central Texas where people can hunt deer. The fences are way too high for them to jump. Whatever happened to hunting being a sport - not something made easier by tall fences? That is too bad this young boy was put into that situation by his father. It all started out as something really exciting for an 11 year old and now is turning ugly for him. I see nothing wrong with hunting as long as the game has a fair chance and it is taken for food. In this case the pig was turned into sausage. But, when the animal does not have a way to escape, then the moral issues of whether or not the animal had a fair chance come into play.

• remuda1
    16 years ago

Here's the aol story on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farm Raised *wild* Hog

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Poor Fred!!!!!!

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I tried loading the link the other day and wasn't able to for some reason. Now that I have I'm sickened. I was sickened when I read the first story, even before it came out that it was a canned hunt of a pen raised pig. For an 11 year old boy to brag about killing things, especially one that goes to a Christian private school, is beyond me. Whataever happened to respecting life? His parents should be ashamed. Not of him, because he's only doing what they taught him to do. They should be ashamed of themselves for not teaching him to respect living things. I'm not even saying don't hunt. I'm saying show respect, use proper technique so that you reduce the animal's suffering, and don't hang the head on your wall. That's just plain sick. Yes, there's a problem with wild boars and wild deer causing problems, and maybe their numbers do need to be reduced by hunting, but show some respect, please. If we still had a good number of the native predators like cougars and wolves and such, there wouldn't be as much of a problem. I hope that pig head pulls their wall down.

This just makes my blood boil.

Sally

• petra_gw
    16 years ago

IMO, human overpopulation and the resulting environmental destruction are causing a much bigger problem than all "problem animals" put together.

And as for the kid going to a Christian school, some of the unkindest, meanest, cruelest people I've ever met have called themselves Christians.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Poor Fred.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Petra, that last comment I would have to agree with, 100%. (smile)

• justintx
    16 years ago

Rick / Petra
    I've been to people that said they were "mechanics", but they couldn't fix a car. Regrettably, Christ has people who want to take His name, but are not willing to live His life.
    J.D.