Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasorbust_gw

Ever heard of or have a weather stick?

Texasorbust
16 years ago

Advertisement title says novelty but I googled it and some people really swear by these things. It was also called a Maine weather stick on some sites.

I check humidity with our cheapy salt shaker, if nothing comes out it's humid, lol! Would like to have some kind of cool weather station set up but have already robbed Peter to buy Paul a rose bush and blew any chance for more gardening buys. Knowing the actual humidity levels would probably just make me feel hotter but am dying to know the wind speed that whips through our patio. How are y'all gauging weather?

Here is a link that might be useful: weather stick

Comments (22)

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Susan, we have a little gauge that shows the temp and humidity but I try not to look at it while I am out. If I see it I do feel hotter, lol
    When we were kids we had a novelty weather rock, it said if it's wet, its raining, dry it's not, so on
    I don't know about the weather stick, lol
    Never heard of it but would be fun to see if it does work, lol

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

My hair. It will tell you EXACTLY what the weather is. My mom used to call it my curl barometer. I don't need a stick! I got curls! LOL!PJ

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Around here I think someone would get hurt by it!

Here is a link that might be useful: weather stick

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Being a native Texan growing up in the 50's and 60's we had no A/C just a water cooler / swap cooler. We knew when it was humidity because you felt wet all the time. I remember taking a bath in the evening's, it felt so good not to be hot and wet but the minute you got out of the tub you had that wet feeling coming on again.
    BTW, you can put a little rice in your salt to keep it from collecting moisture.
    Thank goodness for A/C I think I'd just die if we had to suffer the heat like we did back in the old days LOL.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

There's lots of things that work, that are simple solutions to things. There are also a lot of people selling worthless stuff.

The best indicator of weather, is barometric pressure, and the direction it is moving in, at any given time. While some of the fancy/dancy ones are expensive, the cost is mostly in the appearance items....case/dial/etc....so if you need something inexpensive, just get a movement and make your own appearance items.

Of course, in Texas, change is usually emminent, except for the July-October period.

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago

I have a weather stick. One of my e friends sent it to me. It is nailed up by my back door. I am surprised that after two years, it is still intact, and seems to work. :))

• Texasorbust
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow weather folklore sites are entertaining! Some cute things I found:

Some advice for gardeners: put camel manure on your garden and you'll only need to water it twice a month.
    Put on kangaroo manure and your garden will go ahead in leaps and bounds. =D

The chirp of crickets conjures up images of warm summer nights. According to Mark Wysocki, a meteorologist at Cornell University, you can determine exactly how warm it is by just listening to those chirps.
    "The number of chirps that a cricket would make in a fourteen second period, if you count that number of chirps and you add a number forty to that, you should come up with a temperature to within one degree Fahrenheit. Now a number of studies have been done to demonstrate that this is quite accurate." I can afford crickets! hehe

Read about that rock Jolana, if it's gone it means tornado, lol.

PJ please let me know when your having a badhair day so I can plan accordingly. =P

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

If I post a pic looking like I've been struck by lighting you'll know! LOL! PJ

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Like this?

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

LOL Funny Jolana

• beachplant
    16 years ago

I have a barometer. If it falls we evacuate.
    I have a thermometer. Never look at it. Is there really a difference between 99 and 100?
    Have a doohickey that measures humidity. If I get shocked touching something metal I call everyone and yell "Theres static electricity!" If they haven't called me already.
    Have a wind gauge, the dutchmans pipe vine ate it.
    Have a dog water bowl. If it freezes it's cold, and I call everyone I know, if they haven't called me, to say we have ice!
    We are easily amused on the coast!
    Tally HO!

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Melva,naw, you can see her eyes...she's gotta look like a sheep dog! It goes berzerk!
    Tally you're funny!LOL PJ

• melvalena
    16 years ago

PJ, I looked everywhere for the bushy mop head frizzy hair smiley but couldn't find one. (for free anyway)

So sorry.

My hair does the same thing.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

LOL!!! Sally has really curly hair too. It looks totally cute on her! PJ

• Dena Walters
    16 years ago

Me too on the curly hair thing!..I have always fretted on getting my hair cut...its thin and extremely curly..and the stylist have no clue what Im talking about because they have this thick straight perfect hair,,,and they ALWAYS cut mine way tooo short...
    Now..zap to my daughter, she HAS now been a licensed stylist for over 2 years...the first time I let her cut my hair off she listened!!...Now zap to 3 days ago...I let her cut my hair off again.....SHE DIDNT LISTEN!!!...and again...I have hair short enough IF I DONT blow dry it..it will be a very frizzy..very curly...very scary...to my head fro....
    Why is it the experienced ones NEVER LISTEN!!! THINK they know everything???..LOL..she cut at least 8" off my lenght!! ACK!!!
    HATE humid hot days..at least with VERY short hair I do...sighhh...
    Now you can REALLY tell when its going to rain..LOL
    Dena

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Yep! Gotta cut it at least 8" longer than you'd think on my head(except bangs that I straighten) My hair gets a poof on top and on the sides(think Charlie browns sister! LOL!) It's AWFUL cut wrong!! My lady now has very thick curly hair so she kind of has an idea. I have fine,med thick,med curl dark blonde hair. No dye etc... or it will literally burn out! EEEKKK! One time a stylist was trying to sell perms. She offered to perm my hair to "give it bounce". I laughed my head off. I looked at her and said "gets any bouncier it's gonna launch!" You never know with hair dressers! PJ

• beachplant
    16 years ago

I quit getting haircuts. My hair isn't curly but I have a couple of cowlicks. They would always give me bangs and the one in front would stick straight up. Then they always told me things like "now when you use your curling iron....your hot rollers..." like I own these things? Or would get near my head with something that could burst into flames???
    Tally HO!

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

LOL! It reminds me of the time my otherwise fairly goofy ex MIL informed me that even owning a clothes iron was a sure fire way to,"burn your house to the ground" and that she wouldn't dream of owning one. Maybe she was craftier than I thought? PJ

• denisew
    16 years ago

pj - I think a lot of us have the hair thing going on. I know when it was raining last week, I couldn't keep my hair straight. Well, it started out straight when I used my blow dryer, but all I had to do was walk outside and POOF! I am due for a hair cut since it hasn't been cut since February. Maybe a different style will help or just using a different product on my hair . . . I know that styling mousse does not keep the style and I hate using hairspray so don't even own a can of the stuff.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

denisew, you want my rotten opinion? :^) KEEP DREAMING!!! LOL! There aint a product to tame this stuff!!!LOL! A haircut does seem to help tho.PJ

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

Back to the stick thing now, . . .HA!

Anyway, I don't have a weather stick, but I have a rain stick that I got in Honduras about 15 years ago. The summer of '96, we went 5 1/2 months without a drop of rain here on Copano Bay. Along about mid-September I got "funny" and did a rain dance with my rain stick. A few days later we got Tropical Storm Frances which took our pier out. My DH no longer lets me touch that stick. It sure seemed to work back then, and with a new pier, he doesn't want to take anymore changes. HA!

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Linda, I would pay money for pics of that one, LOL
    Come do a dance here, okay? LOL

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022