Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Exchanges Page Question

denisew
15 years ago

I didn't want to post this on the exchange page, since I should ask about this first. I would like to get seeds for native plants to help reseed a wildflower meadow area across from our elementary school that is used by the teachers and students for educational purposes. Can I post that request as "wanted" on the exchange page if I don't have anything to give back?

Comments (9)

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

Denise, I had never read the rules for the Exchange page till you posted this question. I was surprised to see that it says "no solicitation of donations". I think, if I was you, I'd just post it on the Discussions page, no rule against it there, and I'm sure there will be lots of Texas Gardeners who will be glad to help.
    Just my opinion,
    Jim

• denisew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim - Thanks. Glad to know this before I posted.

• carrie751
    15 years ago

I had never read the rules either, Jim, and that surprises me a bit. Even if someone asks, we would be under no obligation to comply, so what's the harm? I do agree with Jim, Denise, post it on the discussions page because I am sure most readers go to all three sections. Good luck, wish I had some seeds to offer. I do have winecups you could dig up and let go to seed.

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

ditto

• denisew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will probably post the request under the discussions later this summer, when more things have gone to seed. Thanks all!

• trsinc
    15 years ago

I have a TON of Coreopsis seed that my mother in law sent home with hubby. No where to put it... I was thinking of just seeding the hillsides with it. If you want some, send me an email. I'll be happy to send it to you.

• debbiedo7
    15 years ago

Denise,
    Maybe you could offer as exchange Happy children, Well Educated children, satisfied teachers, comunity improvement, or updated pictures as the field grows.
    Then say email me with what you want

I have some wild flower seeds that you can have - don't know if they're all native or not.

LOL do you think that would get you legal?

Debbie

• maden_theshade
    15 years ago

Denise,

somewhere on GW there is an Exchange forum. Towards the end of the season a lot of people simply post offers and don't want anything in return. They just ask for a pre-paid envelope. I've gotten some neat seeds this way. It's nice to trade, but sometimes you just don't have anything the other person wants. I don't see any harm in posting a 'wanted' request.

oh - if you freecycle you might post a 'wanted' request there too. I've done that before and gotten lots of native wildflower seed packets that people had sitting in a drawer.

• denisew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. Great ideas. The address for the school is Vaughan Elementary, Attn: Vaughan Environmental Club, 820 Cottonwood Dr., Allen, TX 75002 if anyone wants to go ahead and mail them. The last day of school is June 5 here, but they could hold it over the summer for us. If you would like me to send a SASE, then please send me an e-mail and I would be glad to send it. I will also check our local freecycle group here in Allen. I hadn't thought of that. I do save quite a few native seeds too and have a bunch of bluebonnet seed that I need to scatter. It should cover a small area. Our meadow is about 1/4 acre. We are going to get in there this summer and remove some small trees that have sprouted along with some bunches of Johnsongrass which I know is hard to kill, so may end up using Roundup or something similar.