Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

My cat died

denisew
16 years ago

Well, I just posted about my garden tour, but had to tell you this day didn't start out very well. My 21 year old cat passed away in her sleep last night. I saw it coming, but wanted her to be at home when she died. It would have been too stressful for any of us - especially her - to have her put down at the vets office. She was missing our other cat that we gave up last month (the one with the chronic urinary tract infections) and I think she really missed him. Last couple of weeks we would hear her at night yowling like she was looking for him - missing him. We always joked that he was keeping her alive and I guess he was. Anyway, I took her to be cremated and am going to get her ashes back in a little box. I figured for any cat that lives for 21 years, she deserves a special place to be remembered. She was a Siamese who put up with me being her owner. She was small and delicate, but could put a 90 pound yellow lab in his place. Even in death when I found her laying in my closet, my lab wouldn't go near her. He walked in the bathroom, took one look at her and turned around to retreat! And, I have to say that she used her litter box right up to the end. She was also my little guard cat years ago when I lived alone in an apartment. She heard someone outside my window one night and started hissing and carrying on at my bedroom window to alert me to the danger. I made sure everything was locked tight and called the police. She also didn't like my dad and brother because dad was playing around with his fishing rod in the house (after I repeatedly told him to stop) and naturally she pounced on the lure - that had a hook in it. It got caught in her mouth and had to take her to the emergency vet to get it removed. I don't think she ever forgave him for that. Anyway, she was a good part of my life - ornery at times, but a good cat.

Comments (16)

• trsinc
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry! I don't know what I'll ever do when my little "princess" goes. I admire your attitude. It's good to focus on the positive. I'm sure she's in kitty heaven.

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

I am so sorry. It is so difficult to have to give up a furry friend.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Denise, I can attest to the fact that Siamese are different. One of mine lived to be 19 years of age, and my girls swore she was reincarnated. She ALWAYS had the last word, and yes, was in charge of HER yard, and would take on anything that came in it.
    I am sorry for your loss, but glad you had so many years of enjoyment from her.

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks y'all. It helped to put it in writing and have my own little "pity party." She put that dog in his place shortly after he walked into our front door just over two years ago. He got in her way and she bit him in the butt and he has stayed out of her way ever since. Everyone I know who has had a Siamese or been around one will definitely tell stories of how different they are from other cats. And, if we ever do get another cat, it will have to be a Siamese or at least a Saimese mix.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

(((Denise))), I am sorry you lost your baby, it sounds like y'all had a long good life together and that is wonderful
    jolana

• justintx
    16 years ago

Denise,
    When they've been with you that long, they're not just pets, are they. I had a lab that was like a child to me - the eulogy helped me, too.
    J.D.

• little_dani
    16 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss, I can tell she was truely a member of your family. I admire that.

Our old cat is soon to be 19 years old and she is little too. About the time I start to think how fragile she is, she brings a huge rat to me or puts the boxer dog in her place. She is still the toughest little cat I have ever seen.

Thanks for sharing with us. It is so hard to lose them.

Janie

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I'm really sorry about your cat. She got to spend a long time with someone who loved her and that is so special.PJ

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I'm sorry you lost your little friend Denise. Are you planting something in her memory?

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would like to plant something in her memory, but haven't decided yet. Maybe some catmint - hee-hee! She was strictly an indoor kitty, but when she was younger, I bought a small kitty leash and would take her out for a walk - on her terms of course. Sometimes she would walk and sometimes she would lay on the grass and roll around or eat the grass (then puke it up later). I took her outside in the backyard again last week so she could lay in the grass and sun herself for a while. She did try chewing on a couple blades of grass, but then decided she was going to walk down the driveway into the alley. I scooped her up before she got to the alley. Sure didn't want to lose her that way!

• Texasorbust
    16 years ago

awwwwww So sorry you lost a friend. Any kitty that stays around for 21yrs is surely content, happy and well cared for. Catmint is a cute idea!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

You can have a little marker made with her name on it to put beside the cat mint.

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good idea. Maybe I will look for some sort of smooth stone to use and paint her name on it or figure out some way to get her name on it so it won't come off.

I had a good laugh about her today - not that her dying was funny, but it has to do with our 90 pound lab again. She had a tendency to hang out in our bathroom. This morning our lab came to the bathroom door but wouldn't come all the way in. He peeked around the corner to see if she was there and then walked in. Then when he looked toward the closet where she liked to sleep, he turned around and left the room! Silly dog! He is so paranoid that she is going to come out of that closet to get him!

• little_dani
    16 years ago

You could have a stone done by the people who do headstones. A little one wouldn't be that much, especially if it didn't have to be all polished and fancy design. I have seen them do river rocks. They look great.

This is what we are doing for our animals now. PJ and Sandy have gone on, and we have found the rocks to use for markers for them.

I went to the rock place, and John let me pick out a few nice smooth river rocks. Cheap, but they will last forever.

Janie

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good idea about having a stone engraved. I'll check it out. I'm actually going to a funeral this week, so maybe I could stop by and ask someone about this when we go to the wake.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Denise, I had one made for my Yorkie 7 years ago. There are many web sites that sell them. I had an ornate one made for him as he was "my little boy in a doggie suit". I have it placed in a bed with flowers and angel statues on either side of it.