Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Medina Outdoor Learning Center

denisew
15 years ago

I found out today that a friend of mine who has been our urban forester here in Allen for the past 8 years has recently accepted a job as the education coordinator for the Medina Outdoor Learning Center. I tried looking up information on this place on the internet, but couldn't find anything. Anyway, for any of you who know about this place or live around there, you're getting a really great lady coming your way. Her name is Susan and if you are ever at the MOLC, be sure to tell her hello from Denise. And, she loves gardening, so be sure to invite her to the plant swaps down in the San Antonio area. Her entire backyard here didn't have any lawn grass, it was all gardens with paths and sitting areas.

Comments (8)

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

Wow my kind of gardener! PJ

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Are you saying that this center would be in San Antonio? I haven't heard anything about it. There is a natural area park on the Medina River on the south end of the city. I wonder if that's where they are putting it? That would be nice! The city doesn't have a nature center, so something like that would be exciting. There's a lady named Gail who works at that park that I knew at UTSA. If you can, ask your friend where the center is located or will be located. I'd like to go check it out.

• pricklypearsatx
    15 years ago

Linda TX8 is correct. There is park called Medina River State Natural Area on the South Side. It is a fairly new park. I assume the Outdoor Learning Center would probably be located within this park.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Antonio Nature Areas

• denisew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, that sounds like the area Susan will be working. I was told it was in or close to the San Antonio area, so that must be the place.

• denisew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay. I just got an e-mail from her about her farewell reception and now she is saying it is the Canyon Lake area north of San Antonio east of 281 and north of 46. Looks like prime Texas Hill Country to me! So, maybe there is an education area around there where she will be working. I know she will love being down in that part of Texas.

• denisew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went to the farewell celebration for Susan today and she is going to live in a house close to Canyon Lake and work at the outdoor learning center in San Antonio. She said she is really going to enjoy being outside teaching adults and children about nature. Plus, being close to the lake, she will be able to enjoy fly-fishing, kayaking and other water sports. She also likes to go dove hunting in the fall, so there should be plenty of areas around there for that.

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Well, the Canyon Lake area is pretty nice, although not as good as it was before it got so crowded. The commute might be a bit much, especially with gas prices so high. We live just outside Bexar Co. to the NW and going into San Antonio just 2 or 3 times a week is getting to be expensive for us. Both I-35 and 281 can be pretty congested sometimes. Isn't that horrible "corridor" planned to go near I-35? And 281 will have toll roads if the people can't stop it somehow.

• denisew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I thought it was going to be a bit of a drive for her too, but she must be one of these people who will live where she wants to live even though it might be a bit of a drive into work. At least she won't be stuck in an office as much anymore.