Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasorbust_gw

TX Lightning

Texasorbust
16 years ago

ErrrrrrÂ..emmmmmmmmÂÂexcuse butÂÂ.

WTH was that?

Not mentioning the growling thunder, saying nothing about the rain that fell in buckets, mums the word about sodden petunias washed up on front porch with knickers rolled up to their knees and looking for dry towels.

Would just like to know how yÂall do that trick with the lightning.

Looked out into pasture and saw a bolt of lightning LICK THE GROUND for about 5seconds. If the sight hadnÂt thrown me into staring stupor would have had enough time to count the points on that strike!

Comments (13)

• melvalena
    16 years ago
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I bet your hair stood up on end too. I have to say that of all the natural phenomena we experience here in Texas....the lightning is the one scares the heck out of me. I was stupidly watching a thunderstorm from my covered front porch when lightning struck a transformer on a pole across the street, I honestly thought I was dead.

Pam

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

OMG, Pam that would scare the crap out of me.
    I stay away from windows and now after hearing on the news that a lighting rod went through a house chimney right to the electrical outlet and all through the of the house coming out of the mirror breaking it. I've never heard of that happening before. I'm staying away from fire place :/

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Lightening scares the heck out me, LOL

• rumbum
    16 years ago

My house got struck by lightening last 4th of July. It hit a transformer and ran across the metal roof. Me and the husband were right next to the window and we both automatically dropped to the floor. That really is a reflex reaction! We honestly thought we'd been bombed. :D

• lindseyrose
    16 years ago

That was a wicked lightning storm last night. Thankfully we got no hail, but other parts of the Houston area did. There were hundreds of strikes in the area, but one hit veeeeeeeeeeeerrry close after everything had begun to die down a little bit. Wowzers!

Both my and my hubby's childhood homes were struck by lightning (not the same year) when we were growing up. We lived around the block from each other.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Few years back, when we lived in Farmer's Branch, we had a cottonwood about 5 ft. from the house. It got hit by lightening twice, finally splitting it in two. We were lucky, the fallen part of it just layed down on the roof, and didn't do any real damage.

Had to have it cut down, of course.

No one should plant cottonwood in an urban landscape.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

I was sitting on the backdeck one evening watching the lightening storm. Then I realized I was in a metal chair! Right about that time the lightening hit the transformer in the alley, about 15' from where my dumb@$$ was sitting!! I made it into the house so fast.....
    Did you know it can travel for 2 MILES or more? I don't watch lightening from the back deck any more.
    Tally HO!

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Lightning hit the phone co that's next door, but not exactly on top of us.The building has a lighting grid thing that's grounded(it dissapates the lighting quite a bit I understand) and it STILL sounded like a bomb went off! We were watching it from the sunroom and we all jumped and shrieked a bit! PJ

• melvalena
    16 years ago

I had no idea there were so many different kinds of lightning!

I saw the 'ball' kind last Tues night. Had no idea that is what I saw until I read the article.

Here is a link that might be useful: lightning

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Lightening is the second leading cause of storm related deaths, second only to flooding. That's good enough reason to be scared of it. DH's uncle was struck twice in the same spot, (yes, it does happen) and lived to tell about it. He was at a boy scout cook out, and the iron pot he was cooking at attracted the lightening. He did have permanant damage, but I don't remember what it was. I don't think I ever got to meet him.

Sally

• Dena Walters
    16 years ago

Ok....Call me stupid...I love lightening....Now Thunder scares the beejeebees outa me..
    But the light show God can put on is quiet amazing....
    Again..I've never had a close call..or seen lightening strike anything...and again call me Stupid..but man its beautiful!!!
    I will stand out, not close to metal or a tree and watch the lightening show....I shake my head..cuz..I think I've been lucky according to stories I've read here tonite..
    But it can also be beautiful..
    Dena

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

It is quite a show!!! I watch it from my sunroom. I've always like lighting storms too.
    That is so sad about that guy at the cookout. My son is in boyscouts. The guys he's lead by seem to have a bit more common sense than that poor man. They better keep my boy safe!! PJ

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs