Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

Galveston Update

beachplant
13 years ago

Hurricane season start Tuesday.

The City of Galveston bought out the high-end "investment" properties on the west end, paying almost twice as much as fair market value for them. They could not be moved, had to be torn down, that property is forever off the tax roles.

Not one penny has been given to property owners in town to start repairs. Only a handful of companies-all but one from out of town/out of the county, have been picked as contractors to do the repair work, when it begins. They have "promised" to use local subcontractors though none of the companies have ever used local subcontractors in the past.

All FEMA trailers from the trailer park have been removed and people still living in them in town or in their own trailers have been told to move by June 1.

UTMB has not started any repairs at the campus. A mitigation plan still has not been filed. Yet, they have been building like crazy on the mainland & opened a new "specialty" center. You can not get an appt. if you do not have insurance. The pharmacy remains in what is basically a tent in the parking garage. There is no sterile processing and all surgical instuments are sent out to be processed.

The majority of the trees have been removed, notices have been sent to property owners and the city will begin removing trees from properties-the letter implies consent so even if noone requested the trees be removed they will be, the trees are starting to fall down.

The 61st street fishing pier is being rebuilt, no signs of activity at the 91st street pier-it has a sign that says "reopening spring 2010".

Work continues on repairing the seawall, the rock groin work has finished, the west end of the seawall has been rebuilt and has a lot of parking now.

Nothing has been done to the Flagship, it looks horrible.

Some houses and businesses are just being cleaned out, including several near us. GROSS!!

Tourism is back, parking meters will be installed in July ending free parking.

Problems continue with getting permits, inspections, etc. rules change daily, sometimes hourly.

No oil has washed up on the beaches, YET.

New large oak trees have been planted on Broadway and 25th with plans to plant more. The East end historical district has had several fund raisers and is planting trees as fast as they can.

The population remains low, we say about 50% of pre-Ike, the city say 80%.

Several apartment complexes have been demolished.

There is no public housing and the fight continues over same.

The oleanders are blooming like crazy, they have come back strong.

The birds are back. So are the snails! :(

While not every business returned there are new restaurants and stores open. The old HEB on 61st is now a charter school.

We're still struggling, so many people still trying to get their houses repaired, but we are getting there. Parts of the island you really can't tell, except for the empty lots.

Murdochs reopened, you gotta climb more stairs but it's really nice, and a good place to watch the Mardi Gras parades as they go down Seawall.

Tally HO!

Comments (6)

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tally - Thanks for the update. It sounds like slow going there, but things are picking up at least.

I do hope to get down there soon and see for myself.

Shirley

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I always appreciate hearing from you on how things are developing in Galveston. Thank you so much.

• jolanaweb
    13 years ago

Sounds like things are happening and it may be time for a trip
    Tally, how big are *big* oaks?

On a personal note, are you through painting?

Thanks for the update

• beachplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Most of the big oaks on the island died, some neighborhoods have hardly a tree standing. Some have been carved into statues. They are still cutting down trees but are making progress.

UTMB announced that work has started in ernest. Where?

The guys are at the house this week finishing little stuff. They've gotten most of the painting done! Woo-hoo! I hate to paint! So far they've fixed the ceiling on the porch, the trim in the library, taped, floated and textured, repaired sheetrock, cut an access panel into the storage area under the staircase, trimmed that out & built a door for it, painted the kitchen downstairs, the livingroom, the upstairs bathroom, fixed siding, put up a handrail, connected the ice maker on the new fridge-my first ice maker ever! and hung the TV on the wall in the bedroom. They are going to build a door to the attic, take off some aramco blinds and plywood that is still up from the hurricane, paint the stairs, paint the upstairs kitchen, fix some rotten wood on the exterior of the house, replace a missing piece of siding on the exterior and a few other things. The electrician is coming to install a ceiling fan and a couple of lights in the closets in the library. They should be done next week if not tomorrow. Then once I come up with $15,000 they'll fix the exterior, replace rotten wood, scrape, caulk and paint the whole thing. I'll be working a lot of ot!!!! It will probably be next year when I get the exterior done. The plumber is coming later this month to replace all the gas pipes under the house-they are really rusty and the hurricane made it so much worse.
    We're going to have an open house in the fall when it's cool enough that we can get out in the garden too.
    Tally HO!

• rick_mcdaniel
    13 years ago

Next thing, the oil will start rolling in. (sigh)

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Just saw pics of the carvings, Tally, and they are so pretty.