Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_w

Help with peach tree seeds

janet_w
17 years ago

I put up a lot of peaches today. Can these seeds be planted to grow peach trees? If yes, how do I clean and store the seeds and when should they be planted?

Thank you

Janet

Comments (7)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Janet, I don't remember where this came from but it was in my fruit file. I would ry it, what the heck
    jolana

Starting peach trees from seeds is not recommended because the seed will not exactly produce the same variety as the tree the pit came from. However, if you wish to try, they will either need to be stratified artificially or by Mother Nature. Place the seeds in moist paper towels in January and then in a zip-lock plastic bag and place in the refrigerator until April. At this time they will be ready to plant in a pot or in the ground. Or place the seeds in a pot of loose potting soil in early winter and allow Mother Nature to do the job for you.

You will need to keep the pots watered during the winter months if it doesn't rain occassionally. The seeds should sprout naturally in the spring once the weather conditions become favoraable.

• janet_w
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jolana,
    Wow that was fast Jolana I thought I was the only one up this hour.

Now the question is what do I do with all these seeds till January? Is there a seed inside the pit or do I plant the whole pit? After putting up 4 large boxes of peaches today even if it doesn't bear the same kind of fruit is fine. If a tree grows from it I'd be happy.

Thank you
    Janet

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

When they dry they open up, I hope it works, that woould be really cool to grow a fruit tree from seed, lol

• patsy_b
    17 years ago

All I do is take the seed and bury them. Not all of them will germinate but you will get enough to play with. I have quite a few fruit trees that I have started from seed. While it is true that they will not be like the parent I have some really good fruit trees that I did not have to buy. They will usually start to produce in 4 or 5 years. At this time you can judge whether or not they are keepers. If the fruit is not good you can always use them as rootstock and graft a good peach onto the roots. Fun project.
    Patsy

• janet_w
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found this site Â.. http://www.pickyourown.org/peachpickingtips.htm
    For the kids!
    How to plant a peach pit (also works with nectarines and apricots). If you save a peach pit you can grow your own fruit tree.
    1. Clean the pit and store it in the refrigerator in a plastic bag until September or October.
    2. Place the pit about five inches beneath the soil surface.
    3. In the spring, your tree will start to grow and should be visible by July!
    4. Keep the tree watered and fertilized (fruit tree spikes from Wal-Mart, HomeDepot, etc.) and you'll have fruit in 2-3 years!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Thanks Janet. Where did you get a peach that was good enough to plant, lol not at the grocery store, huh?
    2-3- years? Most big trees you buy,don't fruit that soon.
    I'm gonna do it if I can get a good peach, lol

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Thanks Janet. Where did you get a peach that was good enough to plant, lol not at the grocery store, huh?
    2-3- years? Most big trees you buy,don't fruit that soon.
    I'm gonna do it if I can get a good peach, lol