Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maden_theshade

Whack List

maden_theshade
14 years ago

I'm having so much fun re-reading Jolana's post and all our old rants about our beloved plants that got whacked. Tell us about any recent whack jobs.

Here's mine:

So two years ago Tammy gave me a pink rain lily at a plant swap. I was so excited! I planted it, it rained...no blooms. We moved, I had to leave it behind since it was dormant and I couldn't find it. This spring, I found it again, dug it up and moved it to the new house. Put it in the front flower bed, close to the daylilies. Three weeks ago, DH confesses that he thinks he 'nipped' something that looked like grass. I go out and find the bulbs eaten half away. argh! A week later, we get a big rain. All this time, I've never seen it bloom. Now it's blooming profusely! And so beautiful!

Comments (7)

• denisew
    14 years ago

Several years ago I planted some Dahlberg daisies at the front corner of our lot. It is right along the property line to our neighbor's yard. Our neighbor used a lawn service to mow their yard. I thought my yard was safe from their weed eaters - obviously not. I heard them outside working and went outside for something after they left. That is when I saw it. My cute little Dahlberg daisies were whacked to the ground! They never came back either. I didn't say anything to the neighbor's because it wasn't their fault - just the fault of the lawn people. The next few times I heard their lawn people out there, I would go out to watch them to make sure they didn't whack anything else. I also spoke with one of them and told them that I will be responsible for trimming along the property line - which is along my edging anyway. I didn't have any trouble after that.

• weedgrower08
    14 years ago

So the rain lily needed to be whacked?!? lol
    The rain lily Tammy gave Mom has shrunk, I think a gopher or vole is getting it.
    Dad has been out of town for a while now so things are a little safer, lol
    Mom had a lot of Partridge peas potted up for a few days because I thought her Mexican BOP had reseeded. My brother saw them and said you better get rid of those Mom hates them because the grasshoppers love them, lol

• trsinc
    14 years ago

About the rain lilies, maybe they do like to be whacked. We have a bunch that just grows up out of the "dirt" - aka limestone dust, aka future rock or concrete, lol. Anyway, they aren't in beds or anything and they get mowed down all the time. They always come back and even spread from year to year.

Tammy

• maden_theshade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

maybe those rain lillies had it too easy in the 'soft' dirt of Cedar Park and Round Rock! haha! I'm really excited b/c I've pulled several seed pods off it already and there are still more! It had such a cool bloom! Maybe we'll get some rain this fall? That seems like a long way away.

• maden_theshade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ooh, forgot to tell you this one. Hired neighborhood boy to mow the lawn. I walked the entire lawn and pointed out all the plants that weren't protected by a tree ring or rock. This sweet boy really gave it his all. I have a pecan in the back in a tree ring. I'll admit, the StA grass has invaded the ring and mixed in with some young flowers. I know I saw a pincushion flower blooming not too long ago. Oh, and there is this tall weed that I've only left there to distract the deer. This nice boy weedeated all the grass and flowers, but made sure to miss the giant weed! haha

I like him though. He's young. I think I can get him trained up properly. :-)

• beachplant
    14 years ago

My ex hired someone to do our yard. He weedeated my BLOOMING daffodils. The only ones I have ever managed to get to bloom down here. They didn't come back. They were planted in a bed between the porch and sidewalk, it's about a foot wide, no grass anywhere near it. He also whacked down a plumeria, stuck the top back in the dirt. I came home & took a bit to figure out why plumeria blooms were growing out of the ground. I don't have grass anymore.
    Tally HO!

• maden_theshade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh boy, went by my old house and somehow the property manager miscommunicated something to a landscaper they hired to fix a raised bed. The bed walls were put back together, but they also cut an entire bed of lantana and verbena to the ground. This bed was about 25' long and 6' deep, full of plants 3' tall. A bit jungly right now, but it was getting cut back in the fall. Now I'm just waiting to see if any of this stuff comes back. Sooo glad I am firing the management company. They SUCKED.