Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy_8b

Anyone else having probs. logging in with iMac/Netscape?

sandy_8b
17 years ago

Am old garden web member and all of a sudden logging in is a nightmare. The prompt that comes up after several minutes of nothing is "socket not working try again" when click ok, it works until try to travel to several members pages and then sometimes does it again.

Help!!! Any will be greatly appreciated. Sandy_8b

Comments (8)

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I am definately far from an expert, but I do have a Mac. We use cable internet, but even with that, it was getting slower and slower, especially with this site. We finally bit the bullet and bought the latest update of OSX, along with Safari. It works so much better. Before, we had an old version of OSX, maybe even the first one they came out with. There are times when the cable service is less than perfect, and we don't get a signal for hours, but most of the time, it works quite well. I have no idea what that socket problem is that you're having, though. Could you need a new cord?

Sally

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Actually, I stopped using Netscape, and got Firefox for Mac.

Firefox runs on the same kernal, is way smoother and more powerful than Netscape was. It is also a free download.

Safari runs well, but isn't as compatible with windows as Firefox is. I can copy my bookmarks at work and drop them right on my Mac.

I am still on vs. 10.2.8 though, and not on Panther. (My machine is too old to run Panther....it is 5 yrs. old.) (sigh)

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

What rick said. Except for the Kernal part - I don't know what that is.

You can download Firefox for free. My browser switch came after Netscape decided to dump all my e-mail. I forgave it once, but when it did it again - I switched.

I've heard Netscape described as "big and clunky" - don't know if firefox fits that or not.

I have not experienced any slowness on the site. I'm on a wireless FM internet.

• sandy_8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all so much for the help. I am using OS 9.1 Classic and OS X beta (not even a cat) LOL. Perhaps can get firefox on the X but not the 9.1 so i understand. (Sigh) am lusting for a new Mac maybe later on.

Will try to put firefox on the X machine in a few days. Have 3 old Macs which have been using for years now. Guess going to have to upgrade. But the old Netscape is so visually simple and doesnt get popups or flashing colors - is restful to use - if it would just still function with new wrinkles.

If just wait a while can log on eventually for a few moves and to respond to forums.

Best regards and thanks again. sandy

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Ah, Sandy. I still have OS 8.6 functional on a Mac II CI. Still, I don't ever use the machine anymore, because it is soooooo slow!

On the other hand, my Power Mac G4 400, is now an "old" machine also, and I have upgraded the OS to vs. 10.2.8, but that's as far as I can go, without a new machine.

It is a never ending money pit, but new machines are unavoidable, just to stay connected to the web and email. Even your ISP will not support systems but sooooo old, and if you want things to work well, you are forced to upgrade at some point.

I can tell you that you won't need anything more than an iMac, today, to get very adequate capabilities on a Mac. I can also tell you that the price gap between wintel and Mac has all but disppeared, if you compare functionality to funtionality. In fact, at work, I actually had to pay more for a Dell, that did the same job as a Power Mac G5. (smile)

If you have an Apple store anywhere near you, it might be worth checking a new machine out. (Or a Fry's superstore, although they won't be able to offer as much help to you, as the Apple store, in looking at what the new machines will do.)

Otherwise, my favorite on-line folks are Small Dog. Best support out there.....including Apple. (smile)

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I don't know about the panther...maybe I don't have the latest version of OSX. Of course, it's been a few months since we made that change, so of course, a newer, better version has probably come out.

I used to use Netscape occasionally, tried to use the pop-up blocker, but it wasn't any good. What really bugged me was that it let all the Netscape pop-ups through. I do keep Netscape on my computer, because that's what you have to use for FAFSA applications, and I have 2 kids in college.

I don't know what a kernal is, either. I don't use Windows on my Mac, so I don't need to worry about whether Safari is compatible with it or not.

Sally

• bobbi_p
    17 years ago

God bless Macintosh! How many PC users can you hear saying that they're still using their 6 or 7 year old machine?

I have noticed over the past week that something has happened that they're asking me to log in again every time I visit. (I guess I should make sure that "remember me" box is checked next time I log in.)

I've also notice the site getting extremely slow to load, but I figured that was just because I've got my hard drive uncomfortably full. (I remember when I wondered and even said out loud that the 1 Gig hard drive on my Power Mac7500 was as big as I'd ever need, and if you'd fill that up, then you had too much junk on your computer! Now my 50 Gig iMac is almost full. Darn all those photos and iTunes!)

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Actually, that Mac II CI, was purchased new in 1992. (smile) It still works, but is no longer compatible for on-line use.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz