Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Atten Carrie and JD!!! I'm finally moving!

melvalena
14 years ago

We're moving from Coppell to North Flower Mound, behind Marcus High School. So you guys better keep an eye on your plants and hummers! :)

We haven't set an actual move date, but it will be sometime in the next 6 weeks.

We're going from a part sun to dappled shade yard to full sun with one huge bed that is full shade in the back to full sun in the front. Oh the fun I'm going to have! I can have roses and tomatoes now!!

I'll start propagating my plants from here this week. The one big issue I'm worried about is my 3 potted brugs. I guess I'll have to put them way in the back of the shady part of that bed and see how they do with a little late afternoon sun.

Comments (24)

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Shucks, Mel, you are practically in my back yard ... I definitely will be giving my hummers advice on whom they may visit. Congratulations, though a move is a big thing, it can be kind of exciting too !!

• melvalena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, I'm just a bit down the road from you Carrie and a little bit further from JD.

I don't mind sharing the hummers with you, JD may not be as co operative though. :(

I'm heading over there this morning to set up a few feeders and figure out where to transplant some of my hummer friendly plants to get the ball rolling.

• denisew
    14 years ago

Sounds like a great garden for some Turk's cap that will draw all the hummers in Flower Mound to your yard. Flame acanthus should also be easy to transplant to the new garden space. Those are two plants that the hummers love in my garden. I'm sure you already have them and plan on taking them to their new space. Good luck with your move!

• melvalena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Denisew.
    Yes I have both of those plants and will be taking cuttings and digging what I can with out upsetting the landscape here. I also have some hummingbird bush and a few salvias to take over there as well.
    With all the extra syrup, flowers and bugs my yard will provide I'm sure the humming bird population will explode there in N Flower Mound!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Congratulations on the move, Melvalena! I notice hummers on my red yucca a lot and also on Lady in Red and Hot Lips salvias.

Pam

• melvalena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Pam. Its been hard on me reading every one's posts about their yards and moving and I've been stuck here where
    I'm so frustrated with what I have. But now I too get to play in a mixed sun/shade yard!!!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I don't mean to tease you, but some areas of FM have sandy loam ⺠One of my co-worker's lives near 2499 and she does.

Pam

• melvalena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't even looked at what the dirt is like!! dumb me!

Today I'll take something to dig with and poke around a little!!!

If its not that black clay I don't know what I'm going to do!!! That's the only thing I know how to work with. :)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I have my fingers crossed for you. I can dig here without using my foot on the shovel.

Pam

• nana9
    14 years ago

yepper pam. i call my "dirt" (wait til i quit laughing) face powder,sugar sand. it's great for stickers and bermuda grass.

joyce

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Oh no, Joyce! My plants are loving it after struggling in heavy clay and rock! I have a lot of organic stuff in mine from the trees.

Melvalena, did you get a chance to look yet?

Pam

• melvalena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to take something to dig with! 2 days in a row!
    Today I had the dog's ball chuck-er thingie and pulled back some mulch with it and scratched around.. Looks like clay. :(
    I'll know more when I finally remember to take some digging stuff over there or when the landscape guy starts on the excavating and putting in better drainage for us.

• justintx
    14 years ago

Mel - I'm so proud for you getting to move finally. I know ya'll have been wanting to for a long time.
    And, no, you can't have my hummers!
    ;-)
    J.D.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

JD,

You'd better put some tracking devices on your hummers so you know where they are!!

I spent the day up there yesterday getting new carpet and some flooring installed and and noticed the yard really needs watering. BAD. I'm pretty sure its all clay from looking at how its cracked and separating from the patio. I'll be going back up there today just to run the sprinklers and see how they are working. (or not) Previous owners said they had the system all checked out and working properly. We'll see. :)

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Congrats on the new yard! Don't worry about the angels. Mine grew in total shade until Ike came to visit. Now they are in full sun all day. There is one that never bloomed, it had over 300 blooms on it a couple of weeks ago and that is the 4th or 5th time it's bloomed since about April. Each time with hundreds of blooms. Right now they are all a little droopy cause it hasn't rained in like a million years. They have all doubled in size.
    TallyHO!

• melvalena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beachplant,
    right now they are in full sun... I'll just keep them watered a lot. :) Every plant made the move with out dropping any more leaves than they normally would have at this time of year.
    The big ones traveled inside the moving van... the ones I can lift and carry went in my car.. I'll be moving what's left in the pu truck today..not much left but the really hardy full sun things.
    I'm taking lots of cuttings today, and doing some serious dead heading. Then later in the week some more cuttings.

PHEW.. it was alot of work to move all my stuff. You forget how much work it is (and how much stuff you have) when you haven't moved in over 20 years.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had to move the brugs, the sun was just too much for them.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

This is NOT going to be a good brug year, Mel !!! I will probably have to wait until Fall for a really big flush .... just too darn hot, and the sun is killer.

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

I still need to get you the orange bulbine divisions - email me when you're gonna be back in town.

I forgot to ask you the name of the small tree (4' tall, maybe) near crazy lady's property line that's just behind the knockout.

~ amy

• melvalena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes the brugs are just hanging on. I've quit giving them fertilizer because I knew we'd be moving them and its so darn hot..don't want to put any more stress on them asking that they produce flowers too!!
    Right now should I just keep 'em alive and maybe start them with a little fertilizer?
    Then once it cools off (mid Sept) I'll start feeding them heavily. I had one huge flush about May.. it was wonderful but didn't last long -- the heat kicked in.

Amy, that is a Mexican Elder Tree. We put it there several years ago when we thought the elm tree by the mail box was going to die.. Well it didn't and the Mexican Elder is just not happy, it needs more sun.

We were just there today getting cuttings of everything I want to make babies of.. We'll be going back this evening or early tomorrow to move the trailer and get the very last of what is ours out of the garage. I won't know when until my son calls me to tell me he's ready to do it. :)

BTW I found a piece of paper with a phone number and the name Amy... for the life of me I couldn't remember who Amy was!!! But I knew I didn't want to lose that paper either!
    DUH!!!! My brain is mush.. now where did I put that piece of paper.....mumble mumble

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

OMG - you have to come by & see the van!!!!!

we *just* got it, so i haven't had time to post on my thread

~ amy

• melvalena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW!! That's great! I'm glad you didn't have to wait weeks or months to take possession of it.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carrie and JD... your hummers are safe. I'll have my own soon enough.

I thought I saw one buzzing the back patio a few days ago. But I was inside and wasn't sure if that is what I saw.... I should have trusted myself.

I was just out front talking with the pest control guy... and saw one!! It was buzzing the front yard (which has no hummer plants at this time) I suppose it was looking for bugs, then it landed inside a Bradford pear tree in the neighbor's yard.

My feeders are going up today!
    The yard catty-corner across the front is a hummer mega buffet, I just need to entice them over here and encourage some of them to be regulars at my place.

I might even have to go buy some hummer plants today.
    I lost most all my cuttings from the old place to the heat.. it just wasn't the right time for that along with trying to finish the move and set up the house.

ahhh. Its starting to feel like home now.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Mel, had to fill ALL my hummer feeders today, thought maybe yours had moved over here. Too many battles going on amongst them, so thought I would space them out a bit. They are having to fight the butterflies over the flame acanthus.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living