Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Tae Bo question...PJ?

sally2_gw
17 years ago

I've gotten interested in working out by doing Tae bo. I've had a little bit of an introduction to it from the exercise show I do in the morning, but that's minimal. DH brought home a tae bo workout tape from the library, and that was much more intense, and a lot of fun. Now, if I wanted to get more into Tae Bo, such as taking lessons, what do I do? I'm thinking it's not only a good work out, and fun, but a good way to learn some self defense moves as well. What should I look for in finding a place go get further instruction? For now, I'm happy with doing the tapes, but if I really want to learn it, it would probably be best to take lessons. Is that true?

Sally

Comments (22)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I've had the advantage of meeting you! That helps. Basically you have a good diet and you're in good shape.You'll be ok doing Tae Bo because you can't do physically demanding work that you do without learning to listening to your body.(Physical labor in a nursery right?) Listen to your body for this too or you could get hurt just by pushing yourself too hard.The tapes I have also encourage hydration(the people on the video will actually drink water during breaks worked into his routine.)I think the warm up/limber up part is too short. I warm up/limber out at least 20 minutes to a half hour before most workouts I've ever had. Being warm and limber is so much better for you and really helps prevent injury.These workouts have kept me in shape for Martial Arts when I have to stop or to stay in shape to get back to Martial Arts. However,I took Martial Arts before I did Tae Bo. All in all I believe it's a great at-home WORKOUT.
    I am disappointed that he chose to sell it as a self defence technique. Humans are complex and there are a lot of things that go into their ability/willingness to defend themselves. Especially women who tend to generally be geared towards care taking. I just don't see how it's possible to support the emotional and mental parts of self-defence training on a disk or tape. Ninety five percent of the women I see that start self-defence training have issues with sparring. They act nervous,shy,uncomfortable,do a lot of laughing and twitching. It takes at least a couple months for them to comfortably take a shot at someone in earnest. The physical part is just as complex. Timing,body posture,balance and focus all go into the most basic training. That usually starts to develop in about 6 months to a year or longer. It's easier than it looks and never boring!
    I believe any self defence training should be done under close supervision of a professional.Choosing the right place to train is very important as well. My personal rule of thumb that's never led me wrong is how comfortable I feel in the first 2 minutes after I walk in the door. That's it. My instincts are not wrong and I don't try to second guess them. I encourage all women,regardless of age or physical limitations to take at least SOME self-defence! I hope you like it as much as I do. PJ

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, PJ. The tape DH brought home from the library is by Billy Blanks. I suspect it's the one you talked about, since the warm up in it is very short and he does promote taking a water break in the middle of it. It was quite a workout. I do do a fair amount of physical activity at work, but not as much as I used to. I still am much more active than I would be with an office job.

You're right about the sparring. I'd have a hard time actually doing that. You make perfect sense when suggesting to learn self defense under close supervision. I don't even feel threatened, but one never knows what could happen in a grocery store parking lot. In the mean time, I'll have fun working out to this tape.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

You're welcome! :^) PJ

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, I feel sort of like an idiot, but now I'm a bit more educated with your help, PJ, and DH's. I didn't realize until now that tae-bo isn't one of the ancient forms of martial arts. I just learned that it was invented by this guy, Billy Blank, as a work out method. No wonder you said it's not exactly the best form for self defense. Well, it is a fun workout, but I definately won't delusion myself into thinking it will help me in a crisis, except for the aspect of being in good physical condition. Silly me.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

SALLY! You are a lot of things but not an idiot! How in heck are you supposed to get informed if you don't ask?
    I've seen a tape where Mr Blanks actually shows "moves" to promote self-defence. I've also heard the testimonials that have women saying "they feel safe and confident". It is pushed as a self defence method and it is taken from an ancient Martial Arts form. Your DH probably panicked when you asked if it would really work to protect you!
    You might consider taking a self defence workshop. You'll see the difference right away. PJ

• stitches216
    17 years ago

Sally, if you want to learn more true and "hard core" self-defense, you might look for a class in Krav Maga. It's really catching on, and, fragile, creaky old duffer I am, I'm even thinking of learning it. I never know when I might get mugged by one of those punk golf course gophers!

(Really, I just want to be able to protect my DW!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Krav Maga Association

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Krav Maga is an excellent form of self defense. If you are really interested in defending yourself also learn where nerves are located and practice kicking, punching, elbowing those areas in the body. Study how joints work and move. Then work on putting pressure to those areas and making them bend in the direction they are not made to.

Most attackers are bigger than the victims so you have to know where to make up the difference. I am the smallest guy at work and the only one that is able to get me to tap out is the instructor. About 90% of attacks move to the ground. IF you are really serious about this I would suggest pure Judo, not the competitive type that uses referees. Lately Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has become increasing popular, so it is good to know that BJJ is a modified Judo.

I really do not care for those weekend long self-defense courses or tapes. They do have useful info but for most people fighting is a learned skill so it needs to be practiced with another person, frequently. You can't learn wrist locks in 5 minutes and expect that to keep you safe.

I am an odd person who finds fighting fun so I have to finds way to fight and not get into trouble. Be safe.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: step by step submissions

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll look into those options. Joe, I have a friend and co-worker who's daughter nearly made the olymic team in Judo. She's not much bigger than me. (5'2") Other than her, though, I just don't hear much about Judo any more. I don't know why. Isn't it supposed to work on keeping your opponant off balance, or using the opponant's size against him/her? It's my understanding it's a good martial art for people that are "size challenged."

Sally

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

I have no idea why Judo isn't more popular. It does help compensate for size difference. Rolling around making people say 'uncle' is fun to me. One theory I have is that we, Americans, are fascinated with the KO. Maybe that's why the striking forms are popular. In North America and most of Europe, Boxing dominates the combative sports. Everywhere else seems to appriciate the combination of striking and grappling.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

All places I've been teach both grappling and striking. Hapkido is like the Korean b*sterized form of Akido.(Using the person's momentum against them). They all cover joint locks and ground work as well. Silat,Kali and Muy Thai were the "roughest" styles I took. As far as actual use, I used ground work once, to put someone I didn't really want to hurt in a head lock. I was ticked but not feeling life threatened. I think striking is popular because it's quick and easy if you hit the right way in the right area. The only problems I have with ground work is the fact that it ties you up with one person. In pinning them,you've gotta maintain the hold. That's a weakness with multiple attackers. The other problem is a personal one. I don't want to stick around. Quick,dirty get the heck outta dodge. I've come close to getting in trouble defending myself and don't want to explain to anyone HOW I did what I did. (No offence to law enforcement...I know you're doing your job.) In street fights I've only used strikes. I didn't end up on the ground. If you know what you're doing it should'nt last more than a couple seconds and women have the surprise element going for them. I like the fact that Martial Arts is great exercise,a real learning discipline and NEVER boring. Workouts get tiresome after a short while for me.The added bennie of getting you out of hot water isn't too bad either.PJ

• stitches216
    17 years ago

I think I look at self defense almost exactly and completely like PJ. It's funny to see discussion about judo, because that's the one kind I took a class in. "The Art of Giving Way," is how it was explained to me. That sold it to me. It was fun!

I also had a few hours of instruction in street fighting during early military training. But that was too brief and I didn't practice what I learned afterwards. And fortunately I missed the kind of close-up and personal combat where I might have used it.

But all that was when I was in my prime. Nowadays, I figure, I might have to just expect to hurt any attacker, any way I can, as quickly and efficiently as possible, to have any chance at escape. Or else, get hurt or killed.

These days I'm actually most worried about dealing with attacks by dogs or coyotes in our neighborhood. Whether I'm just walking my own dog, or trying to re-settle in a hurricane disaster zone. But the humans are scary pretty much all the time...

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

I was attacked by mosquitos last night, they won.

Joe

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Oh yeah? Mine were backed by chiggers! LOL! PJ

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think it was a multiple attack by those skeeters - they got me, too!

Sally

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

OMG, y'all are too funny. If those attacks count, we're all getting the H*ll beat out of us, lol

Sally, let me know how you are advancing in this. I don't want to pick on you and then you kick my hiney, lol
    Notice since I met PJ and saw she carries a knife on her hip... I don't pick on her too much now, lol
    jolana

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I never noticed PJ's knife.
    I just noticed that she still has tiny hips and no fat.
    I was almost like that till my mid 40's, I developed health problems then I blossomed into a blimp!
    These days I can hardly kick my leg over the kiddie gates that block my naughty puppies in the kitchen.
    I'm envious of women and men that keep their shapes and workout. More power to you...

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

I was humbled today, choked out cold. I was put in a triangle choke and I tried to muscle my way out of it - too much pride to tap out. I am still feeling the effects from the lack of oxygen. At least it was the instructor again. Okay I am headed to buy some Motrin.

Here is a link that might be useful: choke

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I'm not laughing hysterically at you! (Snicker) My instructors LOVE guys that wont tap out! They always use them as test dummies(no pun). Gotta hand it to em tho. They just get tore up and hardly complain. It also keeps me outta the hot seat! LOL!Want some nausea with that? Whooo!
    BTW!!! I'm a whimp and tap out! None of my instructors would play that rough with someone who wasn't ready for it! No you wont get choked out in class if you're a newbie or unwilling! :^)
    Bev you are grounded! For a week! Every morning you have to look in the mirrior and say "I am a beautiful person as God made me!"
    Thanks for the compliment.
    Goober girl you are a tattle tale! (smile)Yes, I always have a knife in a handy location unless I'm at church.(Cross draw left hip over or under my clothes) I feel obligated to put the knife in the side pocket of my purse while teaching Sunday School. PJ

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I didn't tattle, lol You did a llong time ago, lol
    You said it was for self defense but Carol said you got cuttings from some places, lol Now THAT"S tattling, hehehehe
    BTW, I'm glad it's concealed during Sunday School, lol

• wilo
    17 years ago

In shape after 40? Heck, I'm in shape. Like they say. . . . ROUND is a shape. Right?

Y'all ALL have me jealous. I will be going back to work teaching and I am going to be in so much trouble. I have been away from work for a year and I have osteoarthritis. I teach business computers and keyboarding so I can't just stand (or sit) at the front of the room and lecture. I am the human pinball the entire day bopping from computer to computer helping out. I'm trying to swim every day and get ready, but I'm worried the arthritis is going to win out.

I was thinking about trying Tai Chi. I hear it's a lot harder physically than you would think.

Tae Bo? I don't think I could ever get to that. Like I said. I am jealous.

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

In all honesty, I knew the triangle was coming so I wanted to work an escape I had been praticing. He had it locked tight though and I normally would have tapped, but I really wanted to try the escape. It is much better to tap than to get injured and be out for a month.

Streets fights, I avoid at all cost. I had an uncle murdered because he stuck around to fight. I put my pride aside for that, take my wallet and car. I can get another.

Joe

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Joe, that's so sad about your Uncle. What a shame, and a loss.

Choked out cold, huh? Is that supposed to encourage me to take marial arts? ;-)

Wilo, swimming is great exersize. It combines aerobic with resistance, because the water provides the resistance. Keep it up as long as you can. I have heard that exercize can hold off the problems with arthritis. One of the main reasons I started exercizing, other than I hate being out of shape, is to ward off osteoporosis. (sp?) Water exercizes are supposed to be the best for those with joint problems.

Bev, that's a pretty good kick as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't matter how high you kick, anyway, as long as you do a few. It's the movement that counts. I've seen pilates tapes where the demonstrators must be able to kick their legs 360 degrees! I just don't know how they kick so high. I marvel at them, but I definately don't worry that I can't do it. I just do what I can.

Sally