Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Do you Houstonians have your floaties on?

sally2_gw
17 years ago

Is everyone down in Houston and area doing okay? I spoke with my DB in Katy this morning, and he said they'd only gotten an inch of rain, there. Go figure. Of course, it's on the opposite side of Houston from where the major flooding is taking place.

Sally

Comments (10)

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

We stopped at mom's house (Tomball) Sunday afternoon before heading to Danny's dad's house in the Woodlands. The rain was coming down in solid gray walls and she had already gotten 5 1/2 inches! There were 'waterfalls' coming out of the pastures.

It was strange coming out of hot, dry Austin and driving through a rain forest before circling back to our fairly crispy farmlands. All in one afternoon. Gotta love Texas!
    I really miss the subtropical climate of Houston and New Orleans - just not the flooding.

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

Oh Myyyy yesterday morning was probably the scardest (word?)...ok nearly peed my pants I have ever been during my 17 yrs of driving into Houston..LOL
    I live north of Conroe, I get up..typical morning...no rain...get on the toll road and hear the horror stories about Houston...Welll Im gonna go on in anyway, it can't be that bad .. right??..but when I get off the tollroad onto Hardy St...ACK!!!...
    I have to take a right @ that intersection..the water was SOOO DEEP..but I didn't have anywhere else to go..so I took a deep breath and patted my car and prayed alot...then followed a truck thru it...
    Have you ever felt your car weave like a boat on the waves..well that was my car!!...I kept thinnking..you IDIOT..WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, YOUR GONNA BE THAT DUMMY ON THE NEWS WHOSE CAR IS SUNK IN THE WATER!!!..By the time I finallly got to work...I was shaking!!
    It was very very skeerrryyy..needless to say, not knowing how the flooding situation was this morning I took 45 all the way in..lol..no tollroad for this girl this morning..no sirreee!!!!
    I will never do that again!!
    Whew...major lots of rain!!
    Dena

• beachplant
    17 years ago

We got almost 3" yesterday & double that today. It's just sprinkling right now.
    I don't drive through deep water. Drove down Seawall to work just in case, no flooding when I got here but who knows when I get off. Harborside floods, 14th floods, 25th floods, gotta get from here to Seawall to stay dry.
    At least I don't have to water this week. Just stock up on the OFF, the skeeters were already starting when the rain quit.
    Tally HO!

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm glad you made it, Dena. Sometimes it's hard to tell just how deep the water is until you're right in the middle of it. I drove into water too deep once, thinking it was a lot more shallow than it turned out to be. Luckily, my car made it through, but I was nervous, too. From now on, I'll assume the water is deeper than it is rather than more shallow.

I wish Y'all would send that rain up here.

Sally

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Dena, at our old place we had a lot of low water bridges around us they usually have markers by them and you can see the water rushing, so you can turn around.
    I remember when we lived in Houston and it had flooded and we were inching thru in a pick up and being so scared cause the girls were little and I was so afraid for them.
    You be careful and stay home when it's like that

• wilo
    17 years ago

I was in a similar situation. Was following a van. Waited to see if he made it. He did, so I followed. DUH! I was driving A LITTLE CAR!!! Yup, I got stuck as Diana Ross was singing "Swept Away" on the radio. Really! I knew I was in trouble when the wave of water crashed over the hood of the car. I'm sitting there thinking, "now what do they tell you to do if caught in a flash flood? wait in the car? get out? panic?"

Nice fireman out in his big yellow slicker and waders had to help me out as the water was halfway up the window.

Yea, I have a hard time driving through mud puddles these days.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I did it too. I have an excuse tho :^)
    It was snowing (rare where I was)I didn't realize that a thin layer of ice covered in snow could hide deep water! I got out ok and got a ride home. I waited for the water to drain off (next day in a very dry desert) cleaned the water out of the distributor cap and that was that. I am leery of driving in the snow at all. I'm not good at it and it HIDES stuff! PJ

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

pj, if it snows here we stay home!!..lol
    I know jolana, but by the time I heard it on the news it was too late...
    wilo...OMG..I think if my car had died, I'd have peed my pants, passed out...and then threw up..LOL
    Im serious I was a nervous wreck and I made it thru...whew..
    I promise miss jolana...I WILL NEVER do that again!!!
    Dena

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wilo, that's really scary. I'd be afraid of mud puddles, too. Wow.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I should've stayed home too! :^) PJ