Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rick_mcdaniel

Where does bacon come from?

rick_mcdaniel
16 years ago

Found this totally amusing this morning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6734275.stm

It would seem that our modern urban societies, have no idea where their foods come from. (smile)

Makes you wonder if they have ever seen a plant, now doesn't it?

Comments (10)

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

I think that is so sad, adults don't know? It's no wonder the kids don't know celery from carrots

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

Bacon?? And what about the kids when asked where milk comes from reply "the store".

• justintx
    16 years ago

Rick -
    Frightening too. We're losing touch with reality - see all of the (fake) 'reality' tv shows.
    J.D.

• rick_mcdaniel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ya know.....I always thought Leno's "interviews on the street" were a put on......now I wonder if people really are just that dumb!

(Just shaking my head over here.)

• trsinc
    16 years ago

It is a sad thing. I once worked with a GREAT group of people. All really nice. We loved to talk recipes and they asked me to bring them some tomatos, peppers and herbs if I had any extra. So, later when I brought them, one lady asks, "These weren't planted where your dog could pee on them, were they?" My reply was... do you think farmers don't have dogs?lol What about the squirrels and the birds and deer and chickens, etc.

I really grossed them out. I've always wondered if they ever ate those vegies! lol

• denisew
    16 years ago

Our local heritage guild is developing a heritage village with old houses, churches, etc. One of the things they want to include is a vegetable garden so visitors, especially children, can see how produce is grown. It is a shame more people don't expose their children to farm life in some way - whether it is just visiting the farm or reading it from books or the internet.

My family was at a local grocery store a few months ago where they had live catfish, tilapia, etc. in a big tank. The guys in the seafood dept. would clean the fish as requested by the customer - filets, steaks, etc. We watched them clean a really big catfish. It wasn't any big deal to me to see the fish guts, but my boys really thought I would be grossed out. It was the first time they had seen a fish being cleaned and they were fascinated by all the slimey stuff that is inside a fish. I was glad they got to see that and know that to eat fish, we have to kill it first - see it's head get cut off and all those guts pulled out to get to the good parts. It is just a part of life.

I think that as parents, we're responsible for making sure our kids know where their food comes from - not just the grocery store.

• justintx
    16 years ago

My folks grew up on the farm during the depression. They didn't have money, but they never went hungry. Somehow, my generation has dropped the ball. We've been too busy - maybe too busy for our future.
    J.D.

• zitro_joe
    16 years ago

They have pigs in England?

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

I remember the look on my oldest daughters face when she realized that all types of meat came for animals...we were eating fish, she then began to question what hamburgers were - it was so funny

• rick_mcdaniel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yup, Joe, they got pigs in England. Along with beef, mutton, and all the rest. (The seafood supply is dwindling, like it is everywhere in the world.)

English wool, is still considered some of the finest in the world.

Unfortunately, they are frought with many of the same problems we have, to the point where they are currently debating having all of their policemen armed. (Traditionally, Bobbies only carried night sticks.)

Have some friends who live in England, in the central east area.