Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

One more reason we have to move

melvalena
16 years ago

All the homes in our subdivision are natural/neutral brick. Trim varies, but is usually natural/neutral color as well.

Seems nearly everyone in the neighborhood has been re painting their trim this spring, which is a good thing and I'm not complaining.....

But ............ Wed as I was on my way to run errands and rounded the corner I saw this:

I think I need some pharmaceutical assistance until our house sells and we get moved.

Comments (29)

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

HAHAHA, get out of there now, lol
    Wonder what color the inside is?

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

YIKES! I guess something is wrong with me because I like brighly, colorful painted houses. Neutral colors bore me to death. I love the colors used in the islands. When we paint our house, I'm going with pink and teal trim. I can't wait!

When we lived in Montrose, all of the old Victorian houses were painted wonderful colors, pinks, violets, yellows, etc.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Linda, I don't know about now but Montrose used to be my favorite area in Houston and that's why I loved Victorians, you can paint them so cool, lol

• little_dani
    16 years ago

I like it too.

DH wants to paint our house Khaki and white.

I want COLORS!

Mostly I want it the color of mildew, so the mildew won't show.

One thing about that yellow, the mildew is going to show. And THAT is really going to look awful. LOL

Janie

• melvalena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brightly colored trim I can live with..on someone else's house.

But to paint the entire house a bright color, brick and all? Its just crazy.

I admit it looks fine in 'the islands' or Miami, or at the Taco Cabana, but not next door.
    (or even around the corner) :)

mutter..... mutter..... mutter...

Melvalena

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Yeah, it needs some other colors, maybe thet are going to add more, lol

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

That's called "decorating by a non-decorator".

Hey.....it coulda been worse. It could be 3-4 bright colors, that conflict with each other.

• denisew
    16 years ago

Hey, I thought y'all liked chartreuse! In the garden that is - but not on a house!

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

I bet they started out just painting the trip - DIY style but then ended up with paint on the brick and decided to paint the whole thing to cover up the boo-boo
    ~Angie~

• melvalena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the house across the street from the Yellow One. Its not what I would chose, but its ok.

Angie..

believe it or not, the yellow house people hired it done.

Around here we're laughing about it and using it as motivation to hurry up and move on.
    We had been going back and forth on if we should sell or not. I've been praying about.
    In the last few weeks, every few days one more thing pops up that pushes us faster and faster to get on with it. :)

I am rejoicing in these signs.

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

Oh my - I think I may like the yellow one better -LOL and they paid money for that - hehe!
    All signs point to moving for me...what area are you in now and where are you thinking about moving to?
    I want to move so bad I can't stand it - but need to wait till I'm done with school before we head out to the boonies~

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I'm still stumped as to WHY you would paint a brick house or building? Trying to cover up bad cracks?
    Old Victorian homes are so pretty and I'd love to live in one.
    Maybe you could put up a sign Welcome To New Orleans or Galveston.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We're in Coppell, suburb of Dallas. sandwiched between Carrollton on the east, Grapevine on the west, Irving to the south and Lewisville to the North.

We're in what our kids called 'the ghettos' when they they were in High School. Most of the homes in Coppell are newer and bigger than these. They were built by Fox&Jacobs about 35 years ago. (give or take) Back when this is just about all there was here except for the really really old clap board homes.

Later I'll post some pictures of what I consider tastefully painted brick homes. :)

ScubaGal, we're looking at Flower Mound/Highland Village right now to be closer to the grand kids because I look after them while parents work. Being closer would be lots easier on all of us especially once they get started in school.

I'd rather be down in Basque County...but that move is a few years later down the road.

• vjcamp
    16 years ago

My house in Kenner ( just outside New Orleans)- looked better than that yellow one even AFTER Katrina got thru with it

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Keep telling you, Mel, there are houses in Copper Canyon for sale.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I do not like painted brick but the aqua blue (whatever)with the earthtone brick is something else. Those colors look great on a Painted Lady house. They leave something to be desired on a standard brick ranch. PJ

• melvalena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes Carrie, Copper Canyon is on our list too.. but it would make a really long commute for Hubby. He likes being 10 minutes from the office. Getting him to agree to something along 3040 is easy... any further than that and I'll be making 'promises' I most likely won't be keeping. :)

Barb, I have no idea why people paint perfectly good brick.
    Though I have seen some painted brick homes I actually like better than before they painted. I think the choice in color and the style of house makes all the difference. :)

I'm with you PJ.

WoW VJCamp, that makes me feel........ even worse. :)

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Some landscaping would do wonders for that first house. Maybe a row of big fast growing shrubs to hide the entire side of it. lol

We have a neighbor that painted the brick on their house. I never knew why they would want to. Now they have to paint the entire house when they paint.

I thought the reason people built brick houses was partly to avoid painting so much.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I have a feeling that that yellow looked better in the can ;-) The aqua is not as bad.

Pam

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

Wow, even the meters & cables got painted! It's just so... rectangular.

Carrie, who wishes her neighbors would paint their house, or at least mow their lawn.

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

heheh Carrie. Yeah, rectangular. I guess pros paint the meters and cables to do the job right. Painting the brick was a trend 10 or 20 years ago around here, but it's over. A nice yellow clapboard with dark green trim would be okay.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Yup. I know about that F&J neighborhood you are in. I work with a fella who lives in there.

Not exactly a ghetto, but certainly an older neighborhood, these days. Especially with all those newer high end (overpriced) homes in there. (I remember when that F&J area was built. At the time, it was about the only development over there, and you could get flooded in, with a long route around, to get out the other way.)

Flower Mound and Highland Village tend to be pricey, but at least the shopping has gotten more convenient along 2499, all the way to 407. (Actually found a good enough deal on shirts to buy 8 of 'em at the new Belk's over the weekend.)

We are shopping a lot more at 2499 and 407, lately, as Vista Ridge is always so busy, it is more comfortable to go elsewhere. Of course, when Wally Mart opens, the traffic will get worse.

Along 3040, it still seems to get kinda far from convenient shopping, unless you are close to Vista Ridge, or you get close to 2499.

Good luck in your house hunting. There isn't a lot of empty space anymore, along 3040, or in Lewisville, or Highland Village, for that matter.

There is only one development close to me, and it is townhome villas, which are kinda pricey, for being that close to your neighbors. (Not much garden space, either.)

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

OK. I still like COLORS. I think that all the yellow house needs is a nice trim. Now the brick with the aqua trim is really bad as far as I'm concerned.

I just can't wait to paint our house pink with teal trim and maybe another contrasting color. I would just die if I lived in a neighborhood that dictated the colors that I could use.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

We have a shocking blue house. I'm not sure if it's the trim and doors or the whole house. I remember back thinking it's the whole house(walls and all) but the paint seems so "glow" so I might be confused. It's hands down the bluest house I've ever seen outside of kid drawings.
    Still it is better than a psycho HOA. Plus, the "blue house" isn't on my street so I don't have to look at it often anyway. GO ltcollings!!! Be sure and post pics! PJ

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

duh, PJ, I thought you meant YOUR house was blue. I like colors too, but really, brick is generally meant to stay brick colored. If they gotta paint it, maybe a nice rainbow or shading from dark to light in one tone. Or some optical illusions! That would be cool!

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Well, I wrote that really funny. Sorry. I meant to say we have a funny looking blue house in our neighborhood! I am going to paint my house in subtle colors that are the same tone as the brick(not clashing I hope!) I plan on purple,green,yellow and maybe orange tones. That's kind of rainbow-like! :^ ) PJ

• Bev__
    16 years ago

At least they painted.
    We have a couple older houses in our nighborhood that haven't seen paint since they were built and their yards are awful too.

• denisew
    16 years ago

My dad used to live in Highland Village in an older part, but it was nice because the yards were a pretty good size. I think the homes were probably built in the 70's or 80's, but they weren't Fox and Jacobs. They even had a couple peacocks running wild through the neighborhood. I think they escaped from someone's yard and those people moved and never tried to capture them. They weren't a nuisance, but every once in awhile, the squaking would get our attention. Hey, now there's something teal looks good on - a peacock! lol

• beachplant
    16 years ago

There are some very strange colored houses here on the island. Whoever thought baby poop was a good color must have had more than a little booze on board. There is a yellow pink and purple house around the corner from me. I hate white but this house is atrocious! We wonder how gaudy it is on the inside. Or the one that every board is a different color. One has all 4 sides painted different colors, none attractive. Or the guy who painted his windows, yeah, the glass, bright red. Bad taste knows no limits.
    Still better than the "mural" painted on the building next door to me, it looks rather like a big rat. Being eaten by a big yellow blob. And then there is the thing that may or may not be a palm tree. They then painted graffitti over their mural. AWFUL! It's a big building too.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations