Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

Chiggers! I may never garden again. Grrrrrrrrr.

kitchendetective
14 years ago

After a two week vacation, I came home to weeds, rose bushes denuded by, I think, baby grasshoppers, and trapezoidal holes in the flower beds--made by armadillos. Then, after some weeding, I was up all night scratching chigger bites in places I don't think I can mention on Garden Web. Should I ever venture outside again?

Comments (12)

• vwtx
    14 years ago

I hear ya. It's most likely due to all the rain this spring. They seem to love elastic, if you know what I mean :)

Last year, we went for the annual blueberry picking out in Mineola and I was covered with bites by the time we got home. I keep wondering if maybe some came home with me because we never had them here before.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

I got them for the first time on our property the other day. I think because I waited too long to mow the back pasture and when I walked around in it looking for rabbit holes, that is when I got them
    Cortaid during the day and one to one tea tree and olive oil at night
    That has a long shelf life btw

I use to use a powderpuff with sulfur but I think it was Txgardenlady that put the sulfur in a sock and hit her ankles before going out
    Now I will be doing that before going out back

• pjtexgirl
    14 years ago

I gotta sulfur the yard!!!The pelleted sulfur really does work.I've just been too lazy to go pick some up. I had them so bad in that weed patch I tried to cultivate in Benbrook they even bit my hands!I put down sulfur for a couple years and they went away. I've been getting by with DEET on my shoes,pant cuffs and ankles here in Burleson. PJ

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

heard on tv the other morning, think it was "The Doctors", that a dryer sheet in your pocket will repel the buggers.

tried it, but I rubbed it on my arms & legs & "elastic areas" before I stuck it in my pocket.

so far, no bites, & I usually have more bites than anybody else.

Joe Bob says check it out.

• seamommy
    14 years ago

I still have problems with chiggers too, but have found that swabbing my ankles and legs with rubbing alcohol they leave me alone. Sometimes they seem to be able to jump over the sulphur on my socks and cuffs and attack my waist and armpits. OFF with DEET will keep them off my feet and arms, but I hate that stuff, it makes me choke.

Their bites are so itchy they drive me crazy and have to take benedril to sleep at night. Course one bite on the top of my knee is not so bad, gives me something to scratch if I get bored at work, no no no, I don't do THAT!

Get the granulated sulphur and chase the little ba$tards away. Don't let them rule your garden, you're lots bigger than they are. Cheryl

• vwtx
    14 years ago

sylviatexas-Did they say it had to be a particular dryer sheet or will any kind do?

The whole family will be picking blueberries next week and I plan on taking all the above mentioned items. Maybe it'll keep all the other people away and I'll get all the blueberries! OOOOOH what's that smell? :)

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

Wasn't it Bounce or something? I may get some of the pelleted sulfur...I only have the dust. Here's an url about chiggers...small consolation that they don't win either. I'm itching!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chiggers

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

The doctor just said "dryer sheets";
    I just used the dollar store variety!

• Deb Chickenmom
    14 years ago

A splash of bleach in your bath water or a spray down with diluted bleach water before a shower will kill the little suckers, but you have to attack them as soon as possible. Isn't it amazing how they find the absolute worst places to chow down!? Debby

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am so sorry I read that link! EEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

I'm looking for positive things to say about our really unbelievable drought and heat. So...since I posted earlier, they're all gone! All the chiggers and the mosquitos have packed up and left! I assume they moved to a better climate. So, some plants are dying and I'm exhausted and disgusted after trying to save them in this summer-from-hades. BUT no chigger bites and no skeeter bites any more!

• vwtx
    14 years ago

Lucky you! I've still got chiggers, mosquitoes and more. Every time I go into the garden to prune or water (every day) I can count on a few more bites showing up.

On the plus side, it's so hot I haven't noticed my hot flashes at all :)