Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolann_z8

Plants You Would Like to See at Our Fall Garden Gate Plant Swap

carolann_z8
17 years ago

The Fall Plant Swap is my favorite so I've started thinking about it already.

I've been wondering what would be good to pot up and what everyone would like to have. I know it's early to be thinking of it but it's always fun to plan ahead.

The plants I've enjoyed from the last plant swap are the tropicals like Plumeria and Tropicana. I think I'd like to see more tropical plants like this.

What plants would you like to see in The Garden Gate Club Fall Plant Swap?

Comments (124)

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I sure wish I lived closer to y'all. :(

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pj's right. What happens at the pool party stays at the pool party. lol

You're welcome to come though.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathy, I wish you lived closer too.
    Maybe together we could dunk Pj. lol

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Ohhh I see how it is! Gang up on poor lil innocent PJ! PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pj, I forgot that you know Martial Arts.

Maybe we'd better be nice.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Kathy, are you driving now? I hate to say anything without knowing if I can do it but if it works out that I can go, you could drive here and we could go the rest of the way together. Bring Diane so you don't have to drive alone.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Hey Carol, Here is the ice plant I was telling you about.

Hi to everyone, I was telling Carol I hope to be able to come to the swap and I can have load of this ice plant, it has to be over wintered but so worth it for ground cover. The one in picture gets full sun.

{{gwi:1312122}}

{{gwi:1312123}}

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jolana, it would be so much fun if you brought Kathy and Diane to the swap.

Barb, that's really pretty. I like the glossy leaves.

This would be good to plant in the pot with brugs or plumeria. I usually take these in for the winter anyway.
    Thanks for posting the picture.

I have purple ice plant but the leaves are totally different. The bloom is like this though.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I grew that like crazy in the desert. Shade,sun whatever. It was really hardy and easy to pull where you didn't want it. I'm thinking about growing some myself for a pot in full sun. PJ

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I've had this for years and it also makes beautiful hanging baskets. Very pretty photos, Barb.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I HAD some decent sized TX Star Hib(red) growing in a pot. Until Henny and Penny got ahold of them!!!GRrrrr! This is the 3rd pot of seedlings they've destroyed while ignoring the bugs and weeds. I can see how they'd do well on a ranch or in an orchard but at home I think it's too hard to keep chickens and garden. My chickens are going to go lay their lil green and blue eggs for my neighbor's son with the other egg laying hens.They've dug up quite a few plants killing off a Pigeon Berry and a couple others. I don't want to do the "chicken tractor" in this heat I'm afraid I wont be able to secure their water well enough to keep them from over turning it and dying! Akkk! Well, I knew if it didn't work out with the chickens I could find a home where they could hang out and lay eggs somewhere else.PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I'd be making fried chicken if they got into my plants. lol

Pj, I really don't think you can have chickens with all your pretty plants around, unless you could cross fence it.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Awwww, I'm sorry it didn't work out PJ, chickens are kind of neat but I've heard they destroy gardens.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

PJ, I'm so sorry, but you gave it a good try. Wasn't it cool trying? I'm still wanting Guineas but things have to settle down here first

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I don't know how that guy did the flock of Guineas at the nursery! How did he keep them outta those tents FULL of seedling and where he wanted them unfenced! He was a darn magician! Thanks for the condolances. They are cute and friendly! PJ

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I'm actually not ready to give up my chickens.I'm gonna try the chicken tractor idea and see if they are happy!There just has to be a way to do this! PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pj, how are your plant eatting chickens working out?

I have a few big crepe myrtles for the plant swap.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Much better. I did a "tractor" out of an puppy pen I had around. Some burlap shade cloth,pin their water down and viola! I've been feeding them grasshoppers. They rip the heads off and dance around in their excitement to have one. My CM has prolific runners. I don't think that would make too many people happy. It's fairly old and I'm thinking about running a vine up it. I also have a Mex.buckeye growing in to take it's place when it finally croaks. My Tx star seedling came back around. I'm not sure if they'll be big enough for the swap. I hope so. I'm bringing moonflower seeds,catmint(here kitty kitty!), a yellow blooming tree I forgot the name of, hardy *ss Yellow Iris (even works in a H*ll strip), mother in law's tongue,lyre leaf sage, Purple coneflower, and some other stuff.PJ

• civilmind
    17 years ago

Hey ladies. I'm out of the loop. What's the skinny on this swap? Date, location etc. Is it open to the public or is it a private swap for secret club members only. :)

I have echinecea, texas star hibiscus and oxalis seeds, plus I can bring iris rhizomes (plain ol' spuria) and wild violets to share.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The fall plant swap is for everyone and we have it the first or second weekend of October. It's hosted by The Garden Gate Club and we usually vote on the weekend we will have it. I can give you a link to the club if you want to watch for posts about it. We have it at my house just south of Ft. Worth in Joshua.
    I'll be posting time and directions when it's closer to the date. We have drawings for cool garden prizes, eat together and go away with tons of plants. You'll see a lot of Gardenwebbers there.
    I hope you can come.

We'd be glad to have you.
    Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden Gate Club

• civilmind
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info and link, CarolAnn. I'll keep my eye on it. I didn't go to any swaps in the spring so I'm looking forward to the ones this fall.

Hope everyone has a safe labor day weekend!

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's getting cooler and closer to our big swap. I'm really looking forward to it.

Lets try and all get together for it. It'll be like a family reunion without the aunts pinching cheeks. lol

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm really wanting some upright elephant ears.

I want some so bad that if anyone brings any then I would trade all of Pj's plants for some. hehehe

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Carolann! I'm gonna tell on you! PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LISTEN UP!!!!

I have exciting news!
    My son just bought a house with a yard full of plants. He has a big dog so they said I could dig up a lot of plants because the dog would just kill them anyway.

I'll be bringing lots of cool plants as soon as they tell me where I can dig.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Cool Carol, What plants does your son have? I'm still trying to decide how I want to do what in two beds and to top it off I'm thinking of starting another bed but this one I plan on making it a desert garden.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

He has a lot of Salvias and some plants I'm not familiar with.

I'm bringing some pots of Blue Plumbago. I just love BP.

Mine came back bigger than ever from last year so I planted lots more.

My brother may come to the plant swap and he has lots of cool plants.

There's also a man coming that owns a nursery. He'll bring lots of goodies. I can't wait to see what he brings.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

You are just making it sound irresistable, Carol. I love the blue plumbago also and have it come up in my flower beds all the time (not complaining).

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carrie, it's not something you'd want to miss.

Fun plus free plants and food...
    what else could you ask for.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

The mulch man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I guess I'll just have to invite him.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Okay, if he is going to be there - then I guess you can count me in --------------

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

WHOO HOO....and that's all it took!!!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I'm bringing Patrick with me......

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Does Patrick know about your love of the handy dandy Mulch Guy???

You'll be busy showing Patrick around so I better take care of the Mulch Guy!!!!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Oh, Patrick knows how to mingle on his own - I wouldn't want to keep you from your guests, so the mulch guy and I will just be fine.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I'm still hoping I can make it.
    I don't know how many plants I'll be able to get ready tho.

Carrie how are you going to get Patrick to Fort Worth, lol ?

Uh, I don't know how y'all are going to get the mulch guy there, he's plum worn out, lol

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carrie, you do know that you're not allowed to trade Patrick for plants. lol

When I hear the name Patrick, I think of Spongebob. That proves I spend WAY too much time with the grandkids. lol

Jolana, I sure hope you can come. This would be the best plant swap ever with you here.

You don't even have to bring plants.
    I'll give you some of Carrie's plants to trade off....snicker,snicker!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Well, guess what, that is not even worthy of a "snicker" as I will probably have way too many plants to trade anyway. It will be absolutely "scrumbunctious" to have Jolana there. She won't let you guys gang up on me.....
    And why can't I trade Patrick ??????????????

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carrie, you can't trade off Patrick.....Spongebob would miss him!!!! hehehe

Did you say "way too many plants to trade".

Carrie, sweetie, you are my new bestest friend!!!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Well, just remember, Carol - everything that no one else wants stays at your house -----------------!!!!!

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okie Dokie Artichockie!

I have lots of room left for plants.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I won't be able to come. We will be in Oregon that weekend. I was hoping we would be leaving the following Sun or Mon, then I could come, but we're leaving on the 12th.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Drat, Bev, I was looking forward to meeting you -----

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

That sucks! Well, I'll cry my eyes out but have a good time in Oregon anyway!:^) PJ

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Bev, I hate that you're missing the swap.

That's a long way to go. Have fun and stay safe.
    Carol

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's almost time for the Plant Swap!!!!

Is everybody ready?

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Give me a Y, give me an E, give me an S.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

yeppers! Yee hawww! PJ

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

: > (

Kathy