Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolanaweb

I am freaking out, lol

jolanaweb
17 years ago

As a crow flies we live about 3/4 of a mile from Camp Swift in Bastrop County.

There used to be pop pop pop rounds on the weekends but for the last few weeks they are putting in new roads going into the camp and they are there 24/7

Today there are booms that shake the house and I am NOT exaggerating. The animals a a little freaked out but the horses around here are plenty spooked.

The 3 yrs we've been here, I've never heard any of this

There are also helicopters buzzing around more and lower and longer

Scary

Comments (31)

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Have you called DPS, the local sheriff's department or TxDOT? Someone will know what is going on. Maybe you should stay in the house and away from the windows - we'd hate for you to get hit by a stray round!

• petra_gw
    17 years ago

Jolana, I sure hope none of the helicopter pilots are blondes!!

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Hey Jolana,

Maybe you guys are the new AREA 51!

Nanoo, Nanoo

Kristi

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hehehe, I'm sure they aren't firing where it could hit us or maybe I have too much faith, lol

Jac, I will call, does the military check in with local authorities?

Petra, I hope not,lol
    I don't have any cheating spouses of copter pilots in a pool so I guess it will be okay, lo

Remuda, that would be cool if I can see a real Alien, lol

• petra_gw
    17 years ago

No, I didn't mean Rat Race, I meant the joke I posted for PJ, hehe:

How did the blond explain how his helicopter crashed?
    He said it was getting cold, so he turned off the ceiling fan.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, LMBO, I guess I had rat race on the brain, hehehe

The sheriff's dept doesn't know what's going on but says it's safe.
    When my mailperson gets here, he'll know...he knows everything going on around here, lol

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Sounds like war training exercises. They do get noisy, at times.

When I was at Fort Hood, we set off all kinds of stuff in training, including some rather substantial explosive charges (as in after you got well back, before setting the charges off, you still had to run like h***!, as the debris came flying way past where you expected!)

The guard is carrying a significant amount of the war load in this "volunteer" army environment......which means summer "training camp" exercises, are much more intensive than in normal times.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

If there is any 'loud or suspicious' training going on, the local agency is supposed to be notified. Doesn't mean it happens! I'd ask what "safe" means. Is it they don't want to mess with you, they don't know or it really is safe?

My completely uneducated guess is they are doing some kind of training and you probably are not in harm's way. You deserve an answer as to when things to quiet down again. Someone who trains horses, works with veterans or cares for the elderly, (to name a few) would need some concrete answers asap.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Sounds scary!!! EEEKKK! I lived near Edward's Airforce Base in CA. They have the Stealth Plane etc... that go faster than the speed of sound. When a plane breaks the sound barrier it creates a sonic "boom" that sounds like an explosion nearby and shakes the house. Scared the H*ll out of visitors but the locals,including animals, got used to it after a while. Maybe you got some new aircraft in? I'd definatly ask the mailman. Mine knows what all is happening too!
    Ha ha Petra :^) PJ

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, it has quieted down and my mailperson says all he knows is special exercising, what does that mean?
    I guess it could mean just about anything, lol
    I went out on 290 and coming back home I noticed a place on the highway that used to have a bunch of white lines,patterns, probaly means something anyway, there have been red and blue lines now.
    Anyone know what that is?

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

War games usually have two colors.....worn as arm bands, to identify the "opposing" forces. Might be the explanation.

• wilo
    17 years ago

They are probably planning festivities for the fourth and are practicing. Maybe fireworks? The red, white and blue lines seem to indicate something holiday related.

But then again. . . . I've been known to be wrong!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

And, like me, you thought you were moving to the "country". Hope it quitens down soon - can you hear the noise in the house?

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

4th of July, lol, Those lines are permanately on the highway now, lol

Carrie, yeah, you know. When I was in the house, the boom was muffled but the walls shook. When I was outside it was scary.
    The first one I actually jumped and gasped real loud. If Billy had been here he would still be laughing, lol

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Jolana,

the military has to notify the local authorities if it makes things go boom, or has things that fly. Now if you live outside urban areas the rules are not as strict. There are noise level laws, and flight laws and if you are truely concerned you can report them. Most likely they have been notified already and and everything they are doing is within the realms of legal. We have helo training every two months here and some cotton farmer is always reporting that we are spying on him or their family...yes we are out there to get you...lol.

Joe

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm sure it is legal, kinda. I don't want to report them, they NEED training.
    I knew something was going to change because there was suddenly much more activity, I just wasn't expecting the BIG booms, lol which has started back up again, lol
    Also, there are pop pops at night now
    Joe, you made me think of one of our older neighbors down the road, he always thinks planes and helicopters are spying on him. Of course most of the planes aren't low and if you look up they look like corporate jets, lol

• MrsBox77
    17 years ago

Lucky you!! I would be outside on a chase lounge, with an iced tea and a pair of binoculars.....sound yummy!!

I love things that blow up and go bang.....lol

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Is that guy hunting again? Watch out!
    Tally HO!

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

That does it.
    Jolana, you need to just move by me.

Either that or get some ear plugs. lol

Isn't it funny how loud noises sound so close in the quiet country.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Don't you know some marijuana grower dirtied his drawers when those big birds went over!
    The big booms were just icing on the cake...rotflol

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ROTFLMBO, jac, dirtied his drawers?, hehehehe I haven't heard that in a while
    but I bet you are right, lol

Carol, you're right it did sound close, even tho there is a lot of acreage between where they actually are and here

Tally, I hope I can *suck* in time, don't want to get peppered, lol
    Mrs Box, you can't actually see in there that's why everyone around is even more suspicious, lol
    Here's a funny part. I didn't say anything to DH about how loud they were today so when he got home we were out back while grilling and then BOOM, I laughed so hard I cried, he didn't look like an old fart with a bad back when he jumped, lol

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Poor Gary, Jolana - playing tricks on him again. LOL

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

miss jolana that sounds scary...When I go to mom's Im use to the pop pop sounds especially during deer season..they live why out in the woods...
    But at home...and your walls shake??..Ack...
    Hope it settles down soon!!!
    Dena

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tally, I want you and everyone to know I MEANT DUCK, lol
    Sometimes my fingers don't work right but it gave me a good laugh, I crack myself up, hehehehehe
    I haven't heard anything today

• petra_gw
    17 years ago

Hmm, I was going to write "Freudian Slip", but I am not gonna, nope, not me!! Bwaahahahahahahahahahahaha...

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

I bet it was funny when Gary jumped.

It's always good to have a few laughs with the hubbie...I mean at the hubbie. hehehe

• beachplant
    17 years ago

We know what you really meant!
    Myself, I would have a nice thick file at the FBI. Because when the noise started I would paint myself up in camoflauge, stick branches and leaves on me, get the binoculars and a big flashlight and stalk them. Then I would stand in the back yard with my "rifle"-the rake-and point it at the helicopters and make gun noises. After the FBI arrested me I would go on Good Morning America to proclaim my innocence and c/o the government spying on good old American gardeners who are just trying to help end hunger. And that was just plain old mud stuck to me, thank you very much, and who EVER heard of shooting at a helicopter with a rake? The government has gone crazy, first tapping out phones, then how we spend our money, that right there is proof, all my money goes to nurseries and garden books, 6 of my ancestors fought for this country's freedom way back when, I'm a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution for crying out loud, noone in MY family ever shirked their military duty, my husband is a Vietnam Vet! What is wrong with the government? Terrorist everywhere and they are scaring and arresting gardeners!
    Of course, I probably already have a file with the FBI!!
    Keep your head down!
    Tally HO!

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

ROFL!!
    Ohhh my Tally!!!...lol!! you are a mess!! Too funny!!
    Made my morning!!
    Dena

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Tally, I saw your file while I was editing mine. Actually, I thought your file WAS mine.

My Dad was a fishing guide on the Coast, and he took people like Richard Nixon (as VP), James Baker (when he was Sec of State for Bush 41), and all the Joint Chiefs of Staff fishing. He lived in Port O'Connor, and the Secret Service would swoop down on that little town and do the sweep to make it all safe. It was really something to see.

I was raised a military brat, and married into it twice. I lived at K.I. Sawyer AFB in Michigan, which was a big SAC base during the Cold War. Living on a SAC base in the Cold War, especially on the Artic Route, was a real experience!
    I will never forget Red Alerts, lock downs, and all that good stuff. If they had a big boom, it was going to be a BIG BOOM!, like take out Detroit! LOL

Goodness, my life is dull now. I am so happy......

Jolana, it could be the National Guard training to go to the border.

Janie

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Tally, you really are a hoot. I will have my rake loaded.

Camp Bullis is about 3 miles from my house....across Blanco Road. This is where they do artillary training for the youngsters fixin' to go overseas. There have been a couple times that the walls shook.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Tally, what a funny story. You should write for the funny papers. lol Too funny.

I can just picture you with your rake in hand.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks