Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parhelia_gw

Trying to keep 2 kitties in DFW from being sent to the shelter

parhelia
17 years ago

Hello Texas!

I hope you don't mind my popping over here from the Kitchen Table. It's all for a good cause!--I'm trying to find a good home for two adult cats in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

My stepsister has moved permanently from from Texas to Oregon, but she wasn't able to take her cats. They're living with a friend of hers for about another week (through June 15 or so); after that, I don't know what will happen to them. :(

One is a red tabby, the other is a grey tabby. They're both a little shy, but definitely friendly. They're about 6 or 7 years old, lived together most of their lives, front (and maybe back?) declawed, and now thoroughly used to young children and to other cats. They're really sweet kitties. If my cat weren't so fiendishly territorial, I'd adopt them myself in a heartbeat!

I rescued the grey tabby kitten from a parking lot six summers ago, and I just can't stand the thought of something bad happening to them. If you or anyone you know might be even slightly interested in rescuing these kitties, please let me know! I don't know what will happen to them if we can't find them a home. I'm so sad--they're such sweet kitties!

Thanks for listening,

Julie

Comments (12)

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I don't know what shelter you're trying to avoid them going to, but that might not be a bad option at all if your friend can find one with openings. Many shelters are no-kill. I was just at the north Texas SPCA website yesterday for a different reason, and noticed they posted a list of all the various rescue organizations in north Texas. Operation Kindness in Carrollton is one of the biggest and best funded. She might start with them. Petsmart and Petco work with various organizations. She could call one of those stores and ask for information about their adoption programs. Tell her to keep calling and calling, and working the internet (many of these organizations work through the internet now.) If she's persistant, she will be able to place those kitties into a home that values them. Oh, and tell her to be prepared to make a donation, if she possibly can. It does cost money to care for and place abandoned animals.

Sally

• parhelia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Sally.

Unfortunately, I think I'm the only one willing to do the sort of legwork you describe, and I don't know much about the cats' vet history, though I'm sure it's up-to-date.

I couldn't find that list you mentioned of no-kill shelters. Could you please post a link to it? If I could be certain the friend (curent cat-sitter) would take them to a no-kill shelter, I wouldn't be so worried.

Thanks,

Julie

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Go to readlarrypowell.com & find his email address & email him.

Maybe he'll post the message.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Hopefully, here's the list. I don't know if all of these shelters are no-kill, but you can ask them when you call. Thanks for taking the time to help these kitties find a good home.

If the link doesn't work, go to www.spca.org, which will bring you to their home page. Then, find the menu bar titled 'Pet Info" and pull down to DFW area shelters.

good luck

Sally

Here is a link that might be useful: SPCA's list of DFW area shelters

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

You can also go to Petfinder.org and get all of the rescues and shelters

Here is a link that might be useful: pet rescues

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Our local Petsmart stores have pet adoption's inside the store for cat's. I don't know how it works but maybe the friend will check into it.
    If I wasn't alergic to cat's I'd take them but I have asamtha.
    Best of luck to those poor kitty's I hope they get a good home. It breaks my heart to see animals abandon like that.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I got a cat from Petsmart about 6 months ago. They do a good job getting those cats homes. PJ

• roopooroo
    17 years ago

The cats you see at Petco and Petsmart belong to rescue groups. A private citizen cannot go to Petco and Petsmart and have their animal displayed for possible adoption. The contract the rescue groups sign is quite long and extensive - putting a cat in a cage in a pet store opens that petstore up to all kinds of liability, this is why the adoption centers are only for the use of well-established, well-reputed rescue organizations who can contractually guarantee the animals are healthy, vaccinated, and won't be abandoned by the owner.

Since this is "kitten season" you will have a very hard time finding any shelter, kill or no-kill, to take them.

Each rescue group has their "niche" - some only rescue from shelter death rows, some only rescue certain breeds, some only rescue thos with certain diseases, etc. Becuase of this it will also be really difficult to turn the cats over to a rescue group. If you already had an "in" with a rescue group that takes in death-row kitties, you could ask that person what shelters they rescue from, then drop the kitties off there, then alert your friend in the rescue group they are there. But I suppose if you had such a contact, you wouldn't be posting your message, would you?

I can't give you an easy answer because there isn't one, especially this time of year. At this point you probably only have two options - drop the kitties off to a kill shelter and hope for the best, or stay on the internet/phone trying to locate a rescue that will take the kitties. You may have luck finding a no-kill shelter, but that's very doubtful this time of year. And, like was mentioned upthread, you WILL be expected to give a donation if you surrender them to a no-kill shelter.

Shame on your stepsister. And good luck to the kitties.

• parhelia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone for responding. I'm very sad to say that my step-sister had the dates mixed up. The kitties went to the shelter last weekend. I wish I had known. She assures me they went to the Dallas SPCA shelter, which is no-kill. I'm still really sad for them.

Thanks for listening.

Julie

• petra_gw
    17 years ago

I second what Roopooroo wrote, shame on your stepsister. I hate it when people treat animals like disposable goods. Whenever we've moved (which was a lot, due to the military), our critters moved right with us. Thank God you are trying to help those poor kitties, you are a good person!! We can't take them (13 rescues, dogs and cats), but fingers and toes are crossed that you'll be able to find a good home for them, or maybe even keep them yourself.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Sometimes you can't take your animals with you. For example, in San Francisco and San Diego it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find a rental or apartment that will allow any animal. Not even a fish tank over 10 gallons. PJ

• petra_gw
    17 years ago

We were in that situation while waiting for military housing. So we kenneled our dog for 6 months while renting. We picked a very nice kennel and got to visit him every day. And another time, we were only allowed 2 pets, so we smuggled in the other 2 until we found a different place. I understand that sometimes people are just not able to continue to take care of their animals, but from what Julie wrote, that was not the case with her stepsister. Her stepsister just did not want them anymore, and did not even attempt to find good homes for the two cats.