Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

One of our 'ferals' has passed

sally2_gw
16 years ago

The place i work has a group of feral cats that we long ago got fixed. Some of them have become quite friendly. One of them we named "Old Man" because he'd been around for years and years, and before he was fixed had fathered some of our cats we've since taken home. (Please, no lectures - his fathering days were years and years ago, when he was truely feral, before we were able to trap him and get him neutered, and his 'kids' are approaching old age themselves - he's always been happy living right where he does, and we couldn't see relocating him anywhere else.) Over the years, after he was neutered, he became quite friendly and loving, always wanting to be petted along with being fed. He wasn't afraid of the hose, and liked to hang out with whoever was out watering the plants where he lived. Well, yesterday he didn't show up for supper, and today, just a few minutes ago, my co-worker called me to tell me she found him dead. I think he was just old and worn out, but we don't know really what killed him. My co-worker is quite shaken up about it. He was more her cat than anybody's but he was everybody's friend. He was such a good cat, everyone that met him said he was such a cool cat. He will be greatly missed.

Sally

Comments (9)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I'm sorry about Old Man! That is so great you and your friends have taken the time and the interest to help a feral cat colony :^). I personally (obviously!) think it's worth the heart break to have animal friends. PJ

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

RIP Old Man. May the mice in heaven always be slower than you but fast enough to be a challenge.

• petra_gw
    16 years ago

I am sorry, that must be so hard. But at least he had a better life than many other ferals and you guys did what you could to take care of him.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

I'm sorry you've lost a loved companion...
    but I'm glad, for his sake & yours as well, that you were able to give him some happy years.

In a speech at a September 11 memorial gathering, Queen Elizabeth said something like,
    "Grief is the price we pay for love."

I'm with PJ & the Queen;
    it *is* worth it.

We're lucky to have companions, human & animal alike, in our lives.

• denisew
    16 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about Old Man. Even though he was an outdoor cat, he obviously touched your lives - in many ways. My 21 year old cat died in her sleep last month, so I know how you feel. I found her laying in my clothes closet on the floor near where she liked to curl up and sleep. Maybe Old Man had a favorite spot to hide and rest and that is where he decided to die. I am glad you were able to give him a decent life and he came to like being around people. I'm sure wherever he is, he is running in the fields of wildflowers chasing birds and mice under the warm sun-filled sky.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

But how fortunate Old Man was to have found such a good home. You will miss him, but you made his life so good.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, everyone. He really did brighten up our days, and I hope, no, I'm sure we brightened up his, too.

You guys brighten up my days, too. Thanks for being there.

Sally

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

Aw, thank you for sharing with us Sally. Kitties are the best. PK, I like your eulogy. What did Old Man look like? So we can imagine him properly and send him our good thoughts.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

He was a black and white cat, but his markings were a bit unusual. The top of his face from his nose up was black, and from his nose down was white. His face was sort of roundish squarish, but he was not snub nosed like a persion. He was a short haired cat. The rest of his body was mostly black, but he had white feet and a white throat.

Thanks for asking and your kind thoughts.

Sally