Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_in_texas

New to Texas & gardening, just saying hi!

new_in_texas
17 years ago

Hi all! Just thought I would say hello and voice how informative I find this site.

I'm new to Texas, I've only been here 2 months and 3 days. I'm from Toronto, Canada so this is a whole other world for me, not just gardening wise.

Now that I have a yard to actually garden in I've have to learn how to garden! I'll be reading the wealth of info on this site and asking lots of questions, the first one is what is my zone? I've gotten 7, 7a, 8, 8a and 8b when I check online, I'm in 76901 San Angelo, TX.

Comments (20)

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Welcome home!
    I don't know your zone, but wait a little while and someone will tell you. This really a fun group of friends...old and new.

Gardening in TX is a whole other world. If a plant tag says full sun, that does not mean in TX.

PJ will come along and help you with natives. She has been here less than a year and has had great success with her's.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

I actually use another zone system, that is more precise, so I will have to check on the San Angelo area and then transpose to the commonly used one, and get back to you.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

You should be in zone 7, by the usual system. Your winters get a bit colder then the DFW area.

Topographically, you are a bit higher elevation than east of I-35w.

• stitches216
    17 years ago

It's always fun and heartwarming to welcome a new neighbor! In Texas, we can say "Howdy Neighbor!" and still live 700 miles apart.

Rick gave you the zone info, and all I can add for now is encouragement to "save the water."

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Howdy and welcome, you're almost in my hometown. I have cousins that live almost in San Angelo, the gardening one says he's 7b
    There are plenty of people here that will be glad to help you get started.
    Have you seen or read enough to think you know what types of gardens you want?
    jolana

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Hello! Welcome!PJ

• gabriell_gw
    17 years ago

Welcome! You must have culture shock. Hope you learn to love Texas.Texans are the greatest.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Welcome.....you're gonna love Texas.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Wow, what a switch. I've never been to Toronto, but I can imagine what it might be like. I have traveled a little bit through New York, from the Finger Lakes eastward to Boston. if Toronto is anything like that area, it couldn't be more differant than San Angelo. Welcome, and I hope you enjoy it.

Sally

• fliptx
    17 years ago

Welcome to Texas! What kind of gardening is in your plans? My spring vegetable gardening is almost done. Now I'm looking forward to fall, and planting broccoli for the first time.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Hi, welcome to Texas.
    We're glad to have you. Pour a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.
    Carol

• new_in_texas
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for the warm welcome, and thank you Rick for confirming our zone.

The husband and I haven't figured out what we're going to do gardens wise for the long term, we have planted 2 very small annual beds in the front for some color and some shrubs along the house (Indian Hawthorne and Boxwoods), we have lots of ideas though! We've mainly been concentrating on our back lawn as it had been taken over by Puncture Vine. After much pulling and spraying we decided to till and lay St. Augustine sod in a checkerboard pattern with Bermuda seed going in the non St. Augustine parts (we're on a budget and the in-laws suggested this method). So far it's starting to look good and it's filling in nicely. It's great to be able to walk barefoot in the backyard.

My MIL just gave me her copy of the Neil Sperry book and I haven't put it down yet. We'll use this summer and fall to plan out for next year and hopefully with the planning we'll be able to do it right and not waste money on things that won't work here. We've talked about a small veggie/herb garden, vines for privacy along the fence line (probably Virginia Creeper), he would like a cacti/succulent area (he thinks they look like they're from outerspace). I'm leaning more towards Native plants and Xeriscaping as I'm more of a low maintenance weekend gardener that tends to over water :)

Phew, I think that's it! I should snap some pics for everyone so you can see what we're working with, a neglected yard and we're North/South/West facing so I'm sure it will be interesting.

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

Well just wanted to jump in and and say welcome to Texas. What a huge move, yet you do have family close, and thats a good thang!!
    Hope you love living in Texas and all the great folks.
    WELCOME!!!
    Dena

• kateyes
    17 years ago

Welcome to Texas y'all!

Ditto on the plants that say "full sun" - not here!! Usually needs afternoon shade!
    And extra watering here too - daily down here in the Houston area!

We're here if ya' need us - just holler!
    Happy gardening!

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Native plants is a good idea, especially if you don't have an HOA to complain about them, if they get a little on the "wild" side.

San Angelo is actually a pretty area, so you will do fine there, I'm sure.

• teri_mico
    17 years ago

Welcome to Texas! I'm down here close to San Antonio, so sorry I won't be able to give you specific advice that definately works in your area. I moved from a suburbia area to the hill country and learned most of what I know from this great site.

When I look at your pictures, I get excited because you have a blank slate, even though I can also see why it would be intimidating, expecially coming from a totally different topography.

If you decide to go with a designer to get started, I would do some major research on who you are going to use. I was lucky and found a plant lady at a garden center that was happy to help. I brought pictures, and she and I went around the place shopping. I was however able to explain that I didn't want to bring suburbia to the country. She was able to help me with the basics.

Then the gardenwebbers helped out with their plant swaps which are really plant give aways. The gardens are still somewhat a work in progress, where I tweak here and there. It is all perrineals with very little annuals around. Other than one bed, they don't even need to be watered once a week.

It's 4 years later and it's been such fun! You might want to hire a designer that is not affilated with a garden center. You want to pay for the time they are there vs. running the risk that they want to sell you a bunch of stuff.

I know that you will get some great advice from these folks here. Trust them with their ideas, google for pictures and by next spring you will be ready to go!

Good luck!

Teri_Mico

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Finally!! Someone else in San Angelo...

There are very few things that take our full sun. As far as your grass goes- St Augustine is nice and looks beautiful, however it needs more water than Bermuda. I think you will have that checker effect for awhile due to the fact that the two grasses look so different. Bermuda is hard to kill, more drought resistant than SA and will root almost anywhere. Just some thoughts. However, if you look at my front lawn right now you would think I am the last person to give any suggestions.

In September/October the International Water Lily Garden is in full bloom.

Joe

• new_in_texas
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Joe!
    I sent you a message.

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

NIT,

I did/have not received your message. GW acts funny sometimes.

zitro_joe@hotmail.com

• new_in_texas
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Joe, I was just trying to pick your brain about the local nurseries, etc... I've been to Olive's and M&R, but have yet to get to the others. Just wondering what you know about them, how they rate, etc...

Also, do you know a good place for trees and stone? Even if it's down near Kerrville I can probably convince the hubby to drive that way.

I love the Water Lily Garden, I'm just a short bicycle ride away :)

Carrie