Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

Sugar-free, seedless blackberry jelly recipe?

bobbi_p
17 years ago

Hi Guys,

I've spent a good chunk of the afternoon looking for a sugar-free or non-sugar sweetener recipe for seedless blackberry jelly. I've got a friend with Crones disease and diabetes in the hospital who wants me to pick his blackberries. I'd like to make him some jelly he can enjoy.

I've found 3 that might work, but am hoping one of you have one you know is tried and true and actually sets up when you make it.

The 3 I've found are:

From the Recipe Zaar, a blackberry jam recipe using 4 cups blackberries, 1 1/2 cups Splenda, 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, and 2 T low methoxyl pectin or light pectin (1 box if using Mrs. Wages brand). It's a refrigerator jam and I'm wondering if it will set up the same if I first make juice instead of whole berries????

The other 2 are from the National Center for Home Food Preservation website, one entitled Blackberry Jelly Without Added Pectin containing 4 cups blackberry juice and 3 cups of sugar then boiling to 220 degrees. But since most Splenda recipes call for adding it after the boiling, I'm thinking this one won't work. The other one from this site is refrigerator jelly with Splenda calling for 2 T of unflavored gelatin, 4 1/4 cups fruit juice, and 1/2 cup Splenda, but says it's been tested with commercially bottled white grape-peach juice. I'm leary it won't work with blackberry juice and it only keeps for 1 month in the fridge before opening and says not to freeze or hot process it.

Anyone have a recipe? It seems there are several seedless no-sugar-added blackberry jellies for sale, but I'm having troubles finding a recipe to make my own!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?