Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stitches216

It's about baseball - but more, too

stitches216
17 years ago

I don't know if this will work, but I'm going to try. A friend sent me a hyperlink in email. It's got a long...what's that term? URL. The link connects to a video (with audio) that's about a baseball player, and a "play" he made 30 years ago. I guess it got sent around the Internet a great deal during this past Memorial Day weekend.

I just wanted to share it because I think it tells a story that's bigger than a game of baseball. I mean, you don't have to be a basefall fan, or the most patriotic person in the USA, to appreciate it. I think it shows a clear and effective contrast between selfish and unselfish behavior.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rick Monday's

Comments (12)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Rap, I watched a portion of that on the news, the day that happened. It was 3 days after one of my daughters was born and I was in the hospital.
    I didn't understand then or now, what the reason would be to burn the American flag, because you *can*? Not a reason for me. I say burn fireants if you want to burn something
    That's when *streaking* was in also, I remember thinking why didn't they just streak if they wanted attention, lol

• stitches216
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jolana, I only remembered seeing a photo in a newspaper, capturing the moment after Monday snatched the flag. Your comment about fire ants made me laugh. Boyhood memories of pyromania and my magnifying glass came back.

Laughing again, thinking about...throwing a burning flag around a streaker - now, that would be justice, no? [kidding]

More seriously: I wish there were more instances of heroic "commoners" thwarting the selfish efforts of attention-obsessed bullies who act as if the First Amendment guarantees their right to bully.

What if...those chaps who brought the flag onto the field that day had to put up with a bunch of people holding signs saying mean things and chanting cruel taunts at one of their loved ones' funerals? (I pray they be spared that!)

• kateyes
    17 years ago

I saw that on the news after an Astros game last weekend (Memorial Day). I got tears in my eyes then, and I got tears in my eyes now watching it again!
    I cannot believe we allow the burning of our flag to go unpunished! Makes me sick just thinking about it!!

I am a huge baseball fan (Go Astros!!), and Rick Monday epitomizes the reason why it's my favorite sport. Good ol' American pastime! ;-)

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

Wow...gave me goosebumps...I've never seen that..but I agree...they should have been severly punished.
    Here here on the signs at a memorial for one our fallen!! Sad Sad...
    Dena

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I had forgotten about that video!
    People that want to burn flags should have to go live in one of those horrid countries for a few months. After they are shot, beat, dragged through the street etc. etc. maybe they will APPRECIATE living here.
    Did you see that the families are suing those people for invading their privacy at the funeral? The spokeswoman for the "church" said they were just exercising their rights! They think God is killing Americans because he is mad about gays???? What a bunch of nuts. I hope the families win. That is the most horrible thing I can think of.
    Tally HO! PROUD to be an American, and the wife of a Vietnam vet!!

• stitches216
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was talking with a young man about the First Amendment today. The words, "right of the people peaceably to assemble" from that Amendment came to mind. I think the word "peaceably" enables putting the kibosh on those funeral bullies.

I think that word serves notice to hecklers too, in general. You don't have the right to disturb a peaceable assembly with contrarian speech. "Shouting down" as a method of protest really reflects ignorance of the First Amendment. It's a disturbance of the peace. Heckling is used by bullies, many of who in modern times want the world to think they, the bullies, are victims of bullying by those whom they, the hecklers, are bullying.

It gets more tricky to put the guilt of disturbing the peace on hecklers when you're talking about inaudible protests at peaceable assemblies, like when hecklers use provocative signs, or burning flags. But if the funeral protesters started to be silent but while wearing mock suicide-bomb belts, for example, then I personally would say that speech crosses the line into disturbance of the peace.

In the case of the ball game, that was clearly invasion of a place of business and an obstruction of legal commerce - burning flag or no burning flag. Presuming those two guys who went out onto the field had jobs, they probably would want justice if their own workplace was disturbed by non-customers - or even by customers - such that they could not do their jobs.

I really just want to wonder if the Stros can catch the Cards and Reds...but I do so hate flag-burning, book-burning etc.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Flag burning bounces, legal-illegal-legal-illegal.
    What is important is we remember that fires are illegal in certain places regardless of what is being burned. (Hook em up.) Disturbing the peace is illegal. (Hook em up.) Wearing a flag as an article of clothing is illegal. (Hook em up.)
    There are many, many options we have to put offensive people where they belong. My favorite quote goes something like, "If you're going to burn my flag, you'd better be wearing it."

We're going to Round Rock this weekend to watch the Zephyrs play the RR Express. The ONLY thing I regret about giving up TV is missing my beloved Astros games. Now we just travel to see the games in person. Such a sacrifice ;)

• stitches216
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jacquelyn, you'd better not brag anymore about going to those games in person - I just might get jealous and send you mean mails like Jolana's been getting! (kidding)

Is this the weekend Clemens pitches at Round Rock? We have relatives in Hutto which is not far away. I'd be tempted to mug someone for their ticket to see Clemens! But I'd have to commit other crimes first like breaking in at the folks' place in Hutto. Enjoy the game!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

LOL mean emails...boogety boogety

Jac, that figures that you would be so close to me and we'll be gone. Round Rock is where I shop when I leave the country to go to the big city, lol
    Have fun and eat a good ole stadium hot dog for me, okay?
    I heard they put a huge shade up so it will be better now

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I'm taking the hubby to the Astros game on Saturday. Got great seats from their website. Now I gotta get directions, neither of us remembers how to get there! We rarely drive off the island, except to Bolivar for oysters in the winter & crabs in the summer. Or out west to Red Snapper Inn-gasp! over the toll bridge!
    Tally HO!

• stitches216
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tally, I can't give you perfect directions to Minute Maid Park, but here is what I remember, most generally:

Go north on I-45 to the Scott St exit - big green sign, lanes exiting to your right off the interstate. I think there are other words on other signs at the same exit that say something like "Downtown" or "To Downtown Destinations."

oooooooOOOOO...(that's my Yosemite Sam growl) - Ah'm a-gettin' JELLUSS a theeze varmints goin' to all them thar ballgames!

• kateyes
    17 years ago

Waaaagghh!! :-(

I'm vewy, vewy jealous!!! I LOVE my Astros!! Especially # 7!!
    He's the one man my DH would definitely have to worry about!! LOL
    Ha - in my dreams.... :-)
    Speaking of Craig...got to the Astros website - astros.com - and vote for Craig to be on the All-Star team!! Please!! He deserves it! He truly loves the game, and it shows. Plus, he's 40 years old, and hustles just as hard as those 25 year olds!! And looks good doing it too!! :-)

Anyway, have fun at the game; tell Craig I said hello!! LOL
    I have tickets for Thursday night's game against the Twins; I actually took the day off so we could be there verrryyy early....just in case...

Oh yeah - I love that quote "If you burn my flag, you better be wearing it!" I think I'll get a bumper sticker or something with that on it!
    My sister signs her e-mails with this quote - "If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them."
    Makes you think....