Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scuba_gal

Attacked at the local park

scuba-gal
16 years ago

Last night we went to return a wayward turtle to a local pond and feed a few duck when my youngest was attacked by a goose - it was funny and scary at the same time -lol

It bit her on the leg and even left a bruise!

Comments (15)

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

That is so funny, but the subject title isn't, lol
    I thought you had been attacked by a mugger or something, lol
    Did you get pics of the goose attacking?
    I didn't see any in the slideshow
    Geese and ducks can be vicious, lol

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Geese can be real scary.

I remember being chased by one at the park once when I was a kid.

Poor kid. Give her a pretty plant to make her feel better. lol
    It always helps me.

• scuba-gal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Unfortunatly I didn't get a photo of the goose - my camera was on the ground -LOL I was tryin to scare all those meanies away from my baby!

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I've never had trouble with ducks, oh they chase but don't hurt like geese can. One of my great aunts did a barn yard painting in it one of the boys had a goose bite his nose, seems this goose had it in for him.
    Goats are bad too, if they take a dis liking to someone they better watch out.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Geese are very ornery at times. The ducks generally leave you alone if you leave them alone.

You can always use the ostrich blinding approach on the goose. Take a tube sock or leg warmer, and grab the goose by the beak with the tube on your arm, then slide the tube down over the head to blind the goose.

Of course, then you gotta remove the blinder, when you leave, at which time the goose is not likely to be a happy camper.

• denisew
    16 years ago

We used to have a pair of geese when my family lived on a farm. The male had my mother buffaloed. We had to burn paper trash - that's what we did then and I know that some people out in the country still do this. She would go out to burn the paper in the big barrel and this male goose would spread his wings and lower his head and hiss at her. He would stalk her and she would hold the empty trash can between her and the goose to get back in the house. My dad and I had this goose figured out. We would grab his neck and give him a gentle shake and he would run off. It would hurt if his wings hit you in the arms or legs though.

Another time my dad thought it was funny to pick up the female goose and run around the house with her while the male chased. He got to a place where he sat down with her and she turned around and bit him in the nose! He had a red nose after that and decided it wasn't all that funny to run with a goose. Once he let her down the male settled down and off they went to eat grass or bugs or whatever they would do as they wandered around the barnyard. These were more like pets and they were a lot of fun. You just have to know their behavior because they will defend their mates and their nests.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I saw some kiddos whose mommmies thought it was "cute" to allow them to chase some ducks at our local park. The kids were tireless harrassing these poor ducks. Finally, the ducks got sick of running and stopped.These same mommies didn't think it was so cute when the angry ducks turned tail and pinched the **** outta those kids! I thought it was hyterically funny and laughed my head off. The mommies didn't think I was funny or cute! LOL! PJ

• scuba-gal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ya, I agree - I'm a real animal lover and I hate to see kids being mean to them too. I feel sorry for those ducks/geese at ponds - probably abandoned Easter pets from years gone by.
    When I was growing up my dad always kept one goose for a "watch dog" then alert you of anything or anyone in the yard and he really like that - plus she was a good pet. Years later a racoon killed her one night and I thought my dad was going to cry - he really missed him goose pal.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

That musta been one heck of a raccoon!!! Your poor dad! PJ

• little_dani
    16 years ago

My friend has a lone male goose once who would race to the driveway whenever her DH would come home. It seems he was in love with the purty goose who lived in the reflection of the shiney hubcaps! LOL

She finally got a girl goose to come live with them, and the goose abandoned the friend in the hubcap.

The old 'bird in the hand' theory at work, I would say. LOL

Janie, who is glad you were not attacked by muggers/rapists.

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

I've seen a goose try to prevent a car from driving down the road. Pretty funny.

• Bev__
    16 years ago

When a couple of my cousins were little kids, my aunt had 2 geese that were their bodyguards. No one could come near those kids without being attacked by the geese unless my aunt or uncle or certain other adults were around. Those gees stayed with those kids whenever they were outside. They also kept strangers out of the yard. Better than a guard dog.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

My idiot brother & his friend "captured" a goose at the college one day. They brought it to my house with the intention of eating it. It was an older gander so of course I yelled at them & let him go in the yard. He hated me, the dogs always followed me around & he hated them so transferred that to me. One of my schoolmates fell in love with him, he followed her everywhere. She was living with us at the time. When she moved she took him with her. She put him in a trashbag with his head sticking out, the owner of the car was afraid he would go poo, & off they drove, his head hanging out the window. Her mom took the goose and every morning would let him out, she housebroke him, then would cook him breakfast!! He had his own chair at the table! And he would sit by her every evening and watch the news. He loved Dan Rather & would ruffle around & nod his head when Dan talked!! I think he lived another 7 or so years. I still laugh thinking about her driving off with that goose in her lap, his head out the window.
    Tally HO!

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Tally, I always look forward to your posts. It's good to know I'm not the only one neck deep in wierd ****. LOL!PJ

• little_dani
    16 years ago

I agree, PJ. I feel like Tally and I are long-lost-kin or something!

Kindred Spirits.

Lots of us are like that. Always in weird stuff............situations, that is.

heheehe

Janie